CPL General

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Don't know if this is news or how reliable mlsrwriter on twitter is, but in response to a tweet I made during the u20 game:

Bob Young said something along the lines of a women's CPL being part of the plan, they felt that they could stabilize a men's league faster then launch a women's league

Up to personal opinion for how seriously one would take that. I think it's a sincere aspiration but probably a good bet that it's quite a ways off and dependent on how well CPL does

14 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

...On the point about accentuating the positive and talking up best-case scenarios, I'd argue the exact opposite - under-promise and over-deliver...

They are talking about 6000-10000 on crowds at the moment, so that doesn't seem to be their preferred strategy. TFC's ability to generate $1.2 million per game in ticket revenues appears to have got some people thinking they can make a buck or two out of the sport. The problem is that what is being proposed will have a lower budget and quality of play than MLS and the track record for pro soccer operating at that sort of level in Canada up to the present day with FCE and the Ottawa Fury points to a lower level of probable paid spectator interest than that (papering the house with massively discounted youth soccer group sales like the Fury do doesn't cut it). Beyond that, the idea that having more Canadian players involved is likely to be a successful marketing strategy looks very much like people with little previous experience in the sport viewing things through the prism of what has worked for them in the CFL, because it certainly didn't work for the original CPSL, Molson's "Team Canada" experiment with the Montreal Manic in the original NASL, the original CSL, the game-fixing CSL....

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

26 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I had a dream last night that I was going door-to-door looking for CPL investors and the whole time I was just really mad that BBTB was right.

Are you sure it was a dream? I saw someone babbling at my neighbours front door late last night. Thought he was drunk.. Thought he was chanting f***ing hell... maybe it was CPL!

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Are you sure it was a dream? I saw someone babbling at my neighbours front door late last night. Thought he was drunk.. Thought he was chanting f***ing hell... maybe it was CPL!

I remember dragging my 90-year-old neighbour across the street in a desperate attempt to show a potential investor that there was a fan base, so maybe?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

A ma’am or a sir, accept him or her, or whatever it might be, it’s time for androgyny.

Hey Kent!!!! I'm going to highly recommend that you take this back immediately by erasing this comments. I'm going to pretend that your statement was simply an accent. A slip of the tongue. This is your last warning. I'm a very patient man. I hope you know what I mean by this. OK! As for the moderator of this site, I just want you to know that Kent should be banned on grounds of homophobia, together with Blackdude.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

35 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Hey Kent!!!! I'm going to highly recommend that you take this back immediately by erasing this comments. I'm going to pretend that your statement was simply an accent. A slip of the tongue. This is your last warning. I'm a very patient man. I hope you know what I mean by this. OK! As for the moderator of this site, I just want you to know that Kent should be banned on grounds of homophobia, together with Blackdude.

Relax... It's a quote from SNL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_(Saturday_Night_Live)

Just now, Pat Carrasco said:

I really don't care...This is homophobia all the way.

I assure you I am not at all homophobic. I was pretty sure Blackdude was referencing that famous SNL sketch (famous enough that it got a movie... which bombed). I just looked up the lyrics to the intro song and put them on to see who gets the reference. No offence meant.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It's not at all. And I guess you should start crafting your letters to Lorne Micheals and NBC.

Hey at least Kent had the courage to apologize to me directly. As for you BuzzAndSting, I will remember this. Thanx Kent for your apology.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

49 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Hey at least Kent had the courage to apologize to me directly. As for you BuzzAndSting, I will remember this. Thanx Kent for your apology.

What did Buzz do? He told you where the original text came from (SNL) and who was responsible for it (NBC, Lorne Michaels and I guess he left out Julia Sweeney).

...meanwhile domestic pro soccer has never been stronger in Canada with TFC regularly selling out BMO Field and generating $1.2 million per game in ticket sales while MLSE are talking about putting tarps up over the upper bowl to create a smaller more intimate venue for the Argos in a CFL context, and an 18 year old Canadian player developed in Canada by an MLS academy in Montreal just signed for Barcelona with a 25 million euros contract buyout clause. Once this whole CanPL saga reaches whatever resolution it is going to reach over the next year or two, it would be very difficult for things not to move forward and improve overall one way or another.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...meanwhile domestic pro soccer has never been stronger in Canada with TFC regularly selling out BMO Field and generating $1.2 million per game in ticket sales while MLSE are talking about putting tarps up over the upper bowl to create a smaller more intimate venue for the Argos in a CFL context, and an 18 year old Canadian player developed in Canada by an MLS academy in Montreal just signed for Barcelona with a 25 million euros contract buyout clause. Once this whole CanPL saga reaches whatever resolution it is going to reach over the next year or two, it would be very difficult for things not to move forward and improve overall one way or another.

Haven't heard your own voice in a while? We already know...the USSF will save Canadian soccer...now go sit in the corner until I tell you to come back.

11 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Sorry, why is it homophobia? I'm sorry if I offended the trans or the non-binary people, but my post wasn't homophobic. 

As a man who likes men, who set you up for the reference, you picking up on the reference isn't homophobic to me

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, matty said:

As a man who likes men, who set you up for the reference, you picking up on the reference isn't homophobic to me

I thought you told us you had a Spaniard girlfriend that time we all got together at Arizona’s....you go both ways brah? 

Edited by Macksam