CPL General

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody understand the difference between the President and the Commissioner roles?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well.

My guess (repeat: guess) would be that the commissioner deals with the business-related stuff and the president deals with the sporting-related stuff, or vice versa.

Edited by Gopherbashi

Just now, Kent said:

Does anybody understand the difference between the President and the Commissioner roles?

Just guessing here but seems like President is the more day to day soccer ops and setting it up for the future (press release makes reference to the future)  and I assume the Commish is business related issues.  Like I said though, just a guess

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, I was wondering that as well.

My guess (repeat: guess) would be that the commissioner deals with the sporting-related stuff and the president deals with the business-related stuff, but that would seem to be backwards from the strengths of those two guys.

Had the same exact same line of thought lol.  To further your point I assume there's going to be a lot of crossover in the these two spots.  They both seem to have strengths in business and the game.  Comish seemed to stress the team aspect of the league office so that could be in play as well

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Had the same exact same line of thought lol.  To further your point I assume there's going to be a lot of crossover in the these two spots.  They both seem to have strengths in business and the game.  Comish seemed to stress the team aspect of the league office so that could be in play as well

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure who's going to deal with what, but that general division would be my guess.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm not going by the intentions of the league. I'm going by other real-world attendance figures of other leagues and teams we have seen. I am also not insinuating that 3500 is bad nor that it means it isn't financially viable.  I'm saying that they seem to be basing their operating expenses around significantly optimistic attendances numbers (in my view) and that it is a mistake.

I’m sure it would be great marketing for the league to talk publically about how they expect only 3500 people per game in the first year. That would make lots of people excited about the league... 

I am sure these people don’t just expect 10,000 people to show up consistently with no marketing or building in the community. They are talking about numbers they want to see in the future. No right minded commissioner would talk to the media saying they have low expectations for the league at the start. 

And do we really think they haven’t examined the other Canadian teams? I am sure they have looked at Ottawa, Edmonton and even the MLS II teams. I am sure they don’t expect 10,000 or even 6,000 consistently for the first season. But those numbers aren’t completely unrealistic once the league builds a presence in Canada. 

I guess what i am trying to say is don’t take press releases as gospel. They are good business people. What they say to the media and what they actually expect may not be completely aligned. 

22 hours ago, toontownman said:

To whom and whom that cares? The participation numbers over the past two decades show a different story.  That is in spite of not having a pathway to grow the game even more that the CPL should fill. When you think Canadian stereotypes Soccer isn't one of them neither is Golf, McDonald's or drinking wine and a billion other things that are and have been embedded into everyday Canadian routines with the same amount of participation and appreciation. 

If Canadian enough was a factor such a huge amount of parents wouldn't be letting their kids or themselves take part or watch. I feel like "The True Canadian" is going to snowshoe up at games in a maple leaf lycra suit and come take people away if they don't drink Molson and eat prairie oysters as a pre-match ritual. "Is that bacon smoked?... your'e outta here!" "Fries without curds and gravy? ..your'e out of here!" Anyone that plays or loves soccer in this country doesn't care if a minority thinks it doesn't make them Canadian there wouldn't be so many people doing it otherwise, granted lots of us adults play under the cover of darkness these days. 

Regardless how could something not invented in Canada or extrinsically linked to the environmental and basic history be considered part of being Canadian, what ever that is assumed to be. Leave that worrying to your grand kids, great grand kids they might be able to start considering that more fairly. 

Yeah, I totally agree with this. I will even say that people you wouldn't even suspect in any way or form of being soccer fans will surprise you. I remember the morning after the 2015 Champion's league final, I was at a local golf course about to tee off and a head of me were these two guys that most would consider mungi cakes (sorry if that term is offensive...don't mean anything by it) and this was literally their conversation:

Guy 1: Hey, did you see that soccer game yesterday?

Guy 2: Yeah.

Guy 1:  Yeah, that Juventus started coming on late eh, but Barcelona were just too good.

Just picture two guys sounding like Kelly Rudy and Ron Mclean talking to get an idea of how their voices were.

Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence and it doesn't represent everyone but still.                                                                   

18 hours ago, Rheo said:

CPL appearance for anyone in Hamilton 

CPA will be there? I'm a member. I should probably go to this.

Edited by Macksam

18 hours ago, toontownman said:

At the last world cup 3.1 million Canadians tuned in to CBC’s English-language broadcast of the Argentina-Netherlands semifinal just 200,000 less than the 3.3 million who watched the Stanley cup final. Maybe more with French TV numbers. It is definitely not clean cut and definitely changing. 

Also worth keeping in mind that game was 4:00 pm Ontario time so more than half the country was most likely still working or close to getting off work unlike the Stanley cup finals.

21 hours ago, Rheo said:

On the Voyageurs' Facebook page public confirmation that the CPL has met with Voyageur leadership multiple times :)

They have met with a lot of people.  

They are not operating in secret, they are getting a lot of feedback from the supporters groups and many other people in the soccer community. 

6 minutes ago, admin said:

They have met with a lot of people.  

They are not operating in secret, they are getting a lot of feedback from the supporters groups and many other people in the soccer community. 

I figured that they would of met with Voyageur leadership (among others) just personally liked the public confirmation.  Maybe I missed seeing it before.  

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I find hilarious that some people are desperate to see CPL fail so we can join this :

Firstly, what you obviously haven't grasped yet is that some of us really don't want to see another Canadian league fail having been through it before, which is why we voice our doubts about wildly optimistic expectations on attendances given the feeling of deja vue involved.

Secondly, the struggles of one team out of thirty doesn't make much difference to a league overall and this will be barely a blip for USL. When one team out of eight is struggling it can create an existential crisis for an entire league. The reason that USL is seen as the safer lower risk bet is that there can be greater stability when more franchises are involved.

There was a time when Rochester was the poster child for what could be achieved outside MLS in much the same way as Cincinnati is now and they managed to get something like $50 million in funding out of the state of New York for their SSS off the back of 10,000 showing up regularly when they were playing in the local baseball stadium when they were chasing MLS entry. If this can happen in what used to be termed "Soccer City USA", it just goes to show how precarious the economics of pro soccer in North America can still be outside MLS:

http://www.soccernewsday.com/usa/a/170/the-lost-soccer-city-of-rochester

3 hours ago, grande said:

Taking bets on what league will launch first, CPL of XFL2?

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/25/xfl-reportedly-set-re-launch-2020/

This time however it will be the CPL players who have "He Hate Me" on the back of their jerseys. Or maybe "Herdman Hates Me" for all those Canadian players that don't get called up to the nats by him.

3 hours ago, grande said:

Taking bets on what league will launch first, CPL of XFL2?

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/25/xfl-reportedly-set-re-launch-2020/

XFL info from Vince  via r/SquaredCircle 

• *Main thing is they want to listen to fans, players and coaches. *
  • 8 Teams

• No Franchise Model

• No Cities yet

• Not apart of WWE

• Start time 2020: Late January/February

• Vince will stay in control of WWE as well. Won't be out front in XFL

• Wants to make it as safe as possible via bringing in experts

• Mentions it being stream friendly on phones etc

• Says XFL will have nothing to do with Politics.

• Says National Anthem is a time honored tradition, very vague on the treatment and enforcement on said rules

• There may not be a halftime

• Vince says watching a 3 3 1/2 hour game is a lot, wants to get to 2 hours

• Vince says they did have some thoughts about not naming it the XFl but kept it due to it being cool

• Not sure about the nick names on the back of the jerseys, Says he loved he hate me and will allow fans to kind of decide

• says he would want people to stand for the Anthem

• Thinks team names will be all new unless fans really want the older names

• Things like DUI will get you banned

• Rules not laid in place but will be before anyone signs on

• No cross over with Wrestling commentators and Football commentators

• He will take a back seat and will hire professionals to help out.