CPL General

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

You said that there is no Voyageurs site. This is note true.

You said there is no platform for communication. This is not true.

And you have made personal attacks by noting that Jamie is the only person involved with the Voyageurs, and then saying that it's all about the "only objective now, is to get into bed with the CSA and get their money".

Why do you tell such obvious bald-faced lies?

Come on now nfitz, we all know the only one who tells such bald-faced lies is UT. 

Someone on the CPL Fans Club FB site, had a good idea about the league creating a passport for the different clubs/stadiums.  Visiting fans from other clubs can get their passport stamped.   Apparently MLB already does this.

A great idea..........too bad I don't think there will be any stamps for 2020.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

4 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Congrats to our former CSL alumni.

59 goals for Alex.

Think he took them to Europe for the first time.  I remember a photo of him and Baggio.

I remember going to a club years ago to watch him play in the domestic Cup final.   I think they lost.....

download.jpeg

I see the CPL,  as CSL 2. (I hear cringing from the CPL office !)

Our second attempt at a legit coast-to-coast national league.  

It's approx 35 years later (crap,...I'm old).  So obviously times have changed drastically.  It's hard to imagine life now without the internet and the profound impact it has had on every facet of life and society.  Including sport.  CSL was the dark ages.  But for all it's flaws (and there were many) it produced some unbelievable Canadian talent in just 6 short years.

3 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I see the CPL,  as CSL 2. (I hear cringing from the CPL office !)

Our second attempt at a legit coast-to-coast national league.  

It's approx 35 years later (crap,...I'm old).  So obviously times have changed drastically.  It's hard to imagine life now without the internet and the profound impact it has had on every facet of life and society.  Including sport.  CSL was the dark ages.  But for all it's flaws (and there were many) it produced some unbelievable Canadian talent in just 6 short years.

Not right away, but truly it did.  And it did it not pretending to be anything other than what it was.  A 1st trial for players to move onto bigger and better things, if they could.

And I think the CPL has got that about right.  If we ever get back to playing again I think very, very quickly we'll find A LOT of Canadian prospects looking at utilizing CPL as their best chance to do just that, to move onto bigger and better things.  At least a much better chance than just disappearing into an MLS reserve roster.  But hey, at least in MLS you can make $20K more a year not to play.

Not sure how not playing ever helped any footballers career move forward.  An over simplification to be sure but I think the spirit of the statement is obvious.    

And in keeping with the generalization above I think is safe to say that if nothing else, CPL has already helped the careers of every single Canadian on an MLS roster who isn't in the 1st team just because that player has one more real option.  Maybe not so much in for 2019 but with each passing season?  Absolutely.  It's funny how relationships, business or personal, can change so much when one side is no longer holding all the cards.      

Gawd damnit.  I want my football.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Not right away, but truly it did.  And it did it not pretending to be anything other than what it was.  A 1st trial for players to move onto bigger and better things, if they could.

And I think the CPL has got that about right.  If we ever get back to playing again I think very, very quickly we'll find A LOT of Canadian prospects looking at utilizing CPL as their best chance to do just that, to move onto bigger and better things.  At least a much better chance than just disappearing into an MLS reserve roster.  But hey, at least in MLS you can make $20K more a year not to play.

Not sure how not playing ever helped any footballers career move forward.  An over simplification to be sure but I think the spirit of the statement is obvious.    

And in keeping with the generalization above I think is safe to say that if nothing else, CPL has already helped the careers of every single Canadian on an MLS roster who isn't in the 1st team just because that player has one more real option.  Maybe not so much in for 2019 but with each passing season?  Absolutely.  It's funny how relationships, business or personal, can change so much when one side is no longer holding all the cards.      

Gawd damnit.  I want my football.

Or, you sign with the MLS squad and then get loaned out to the CPL. Or the CPL forces the Canadian MLS teams to do a better job of developing more of their players.  You're right, the key right now is for the players to have more options.  Honestly, I'm in the group that thinks Canada having both CPL and MLS teams is the best way forward.

^ Oh for sure.  It's all down to the individual isn't it? 

For some players a period on an MLS reserve squad isn't puratory.  It's paying dues and earning your place onto the senior team.  Same as it would be in any other league in the world.  CPL isn't going to be for them.  

It's just that for a domestic quota league the results of player development by Canada's MLS teams is viewed, by some, as being underwhelming.  For whatever the reasons, right or wrong, 

The MLS loan scheme is tricky for CPL.  On the one hand you're devaluing your marketing to players the development pathway because you're enabling MLS' development pathway simply by providing that develpment vessel, that is to say, competitive playing time.  But on the other hand you have to recognize the reality of the world you live in.  MLS was here 1st and there are players already in the system who can improve the competitive quality of your league.  Again, I think CPL HQ got it right.  Very restricted numbers (2 I believe) on season-long loans seems a solution both leagues, and the player concerned, can all benefit from . 

31 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Or, you sign with the MLS squad and then get loaned out to the CPL. Or the CPL forces the Canadian MLS teams to do a better job of developing more of their players.  You're right, the key right now is for the players to have more options.  Honestly, I'm in the group that thinks Canada having both CPL and MLS teams is the best way forward.

I'll go you one better, I'm even glad that the USL has its 200 hundred teams. Even its CDN one.  If the Alabama porch swingers or the Idaho spud haulers want to give bunches of CDNs fresh out of NCAA soccer a way to make a living, more power to them.  I dont think the CPL had to work all that hard to find decent talent for year one, and the product on the field was at least USL quality.  It might be tough for the CPL to match the CSL for producing talent just because their are so many teams in NA now.  I hope we can develop guys like Pesch, Bunbury, Berdusco, Watson, Aunger, Corrazin, Onstad, Dasovic in the first 5 years. 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'll go you one better, I'm even glad that the USL has its 200 hundred teams. Even its CDN one.  If the Alabama porch swingers or the Idaho spud haulers want to give bunches of CDNs fresh out of NCAA soccer a way to make a living, more power to them.  I dont think the CPL had to work all that hard to find decent talent for year one, and the product on the field was at least USL quality.  It might be tough for the CPL to match the CSL for producing talent just because their are so many teams in NA now.  I hope we can develop guys like Pesch, Bunbury, Berdusco, Watson, Aunger, Corrazin, Onstad, Dasovic in the first 5 years. 

Don't forget Radzinski.  I used to watch him with the North York Rockets when he was 15 yrs old (same age as Pesch with the Blizzard).  Both players are very small stature.  Radzinski went on to be one of the leading scorers in the EPL and tore up Belgium for years.  Pesch is still a legend in England.

They would have never seen a minute with an MLS team.  And it's those years of regular first team action that accelerated their development.  Both emphatically credited CSL as the reason they made their big splash.  In fact, they all  have, including Alex.

That's why CPL was needed.  

So unfortunate for CPL this season.  A major blow on all fronts.

45 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

...They would have never seen a minute with an MLS team....

Peschisolido and Radzinski would probably have been in TFC's academy system and at least got as far as a HGP contract before trying their luck elsewhere if they weren't getting playing time due to big money imports. Even Jason Devos could have hooked up with TFC or the Whitecaps in a London context as things have been configured in recent years. People need to move beyond this MLS vs CanPL mindset. There's a role for both and a need for even more pro teams.

46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Peschisolido and Radzinski would probably have been in TFC's academy system and at least got as far as a HGP contract before trying their luck elsewhere if they weren't getting playing time due to big money imports. Even Jason Devos could have hooked up with TFC or the Whitecaps in a London context as things have been configured in recent years. People need to move beyond this MLS vs CanPL mindset. There's a role for both and a need for even more pro teams.

Yes, I remember JD playing for the London Lasers.  Again, playing 90 minutes first team, as a 17 yr old.  He too has credited CSL for his outstanding professional career.

We definitely need more pro teams.

I'm hoping they are CPL for the reasons above.  

My hope is that the CanPL is on good enough financial footing to survive this pandemic, even in Manitoba where they are relaxing restrictions quicker than most provinces it doesn't seem like there will be mass gatherings (soccer matches) anytime soon! As has been discussed the viability of closed door matches is at best questionable!

I wonder if when the league plays closed door games if it offers fans a value add not to cancel their tickets. Like reduced rates on 2021 tickets, souvenirs, away experience in 2021, charity donation in your name, they have a beer sponsor, how about beer? etc etc. I'm a Whitecaps season ticket holder and I would consider this in order to help the team out

Edited by SpursFlu

7 hours ago, gator said:

My hope is that the CanPL is on good enough financial footing to survive this pandemic, even in Manitoba where they are relaxing restrictions quicker than most provinces it doesn't seem like there will be mass gatherings (soccer matches) anytime soon! As has been discussed the viability of closed door matches is at best questionable!

I think the CPL should be on good financial footing, or at least decent; with Covid everything is a little skewed.  I get articles related to the CPL sent to my email every day, and I read a few back in winter 2018 (I can try to look for them) where Paul Beirne, at the time, mentioned that any prospective owner that was coming into the league came in knowing that they would be losing money for the first five years.  Basically, you're in for the long haul,  you need to be financially viable for a while because there will be losses (at least to start), and the payout would be coming just in time for World Cup 2026.  I haven't read anything yet where any of the current owners seem to want to get out, so I'm cautiously optimistic that CPL head office did their financial homework on them and that none of the eight we have now will bail. 

Edited by Trois Reds

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I wonder if when the league plays closed door games if it offers fans a value add not to cancel their tickets. Like reduced rates on 2021 tickets, souvenirs, away experience in 2021, charity donation in your name, they have a beer sponsor, how about beer? etc etc. I'm a Whitecaps season ticket holder and I would consider this in order to help the team out

Perks not to cancel their tickets would be nice, maybe part of it can be CPL clubs can covering the cost to produce each fan cutouts in the seats as well to fill them in like in Germany (although there the fans cover the cost of cutout which goes to charity) :

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/borussia-monchengladbach-fans-pay-for-cardboard-cut-outs-charity-coronavirus-10911

GettyImages-1219129094.jpg?crop=0px,0px,

45 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Perks not to cancel their tickets would be nice, maybe part of it can be CPL clubs can covering the cost to produce each fan cutouts in the seats as well to fill them in like in Germany (although there the fans cover the cost of cutout which goes to charity) :

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/borussia-monchengladbach-fans-pay-for-cardboard-cut-outs-charity-coronavirus-10911

GettyImages-1219129094.jpg?crop=0px,0px,

God knows I could use time away from my kids. Maybe some of the players are up for babysitting?

Yes owners come in knowing that they could lose money in the first years..but the thing is they say ok I have this business that could cover these loses..now if that business is really down with this situation then the team might be in trouble as the owner might not have the capacity to finance those losses anymore

Yah but at best we know losses are like 15 million. Likely less. You always ask for more

Divide by 8 it's kinda chicken feed

You want to talk about operating at a loss. Look at the CFL. Teams are basically free if you want the Lions or Argos and they just asked for 150 shmil. Notice CPL teslly only asked once they found out they might get an interest free loan. Who turns that down?

Edited by SpursFlu