CPL General

6 hours ago, RS said:

Interesting. I wonder what the reasoning would be behind such a decision.

It's Halifax. And it's because they don't need to go "train" like inferior teams because they already have the 2019 trophy in the bag. 

(My confidence may be misplaced, but whatever, I'm in Halifax for a week this summer for work and I will NOT admit I am wrong now, nor in the future).  

Edit: this is a joke for anyone who thinks I have actual news or inside information... 

Edited by ChrisinOrleans

7 hours ago, RS said:

They originally booked the trip based on double occupancy for the 8 teams but with Ottawa dropping out they can’t afford the single supplement occupancy for one. As with all league matters, involvement in this vacation will be determined the most equitable way possible, who entered the league first.

7 hours ago, RS said:

their  airbnb host cancelled and they were only refunded $94 of their $11,000 payment. they realized it was just cheaper to cancel their sunwing tickets and play against the local university teams than booking another airbnb

Edited by matty

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh, now I feel like I am on a gameshow.  All those reasons seem plausible....I am not sure which is the real one... (que jeopardy music)

Well, they didn’t want this to get out but the real reason is because they were originally all going to go when Paul saw a seat sale through WestJet but you know how it is, some wanted to go for 7 days, others wanted to go for 10, some wanted to be right close to the beach others wanted something secluded and of course one team said “we’re not going so and so is going.” In the end Paul didn’t get everyone’s info on time, passport numbers, postal codes, etc... and the seat sale sold out. Paul was frustrated and he said “fuck it, they can find their own way there!”

On 3/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, Winnipeg Fury said:

I've heard only 6 clubs are going to DR.  One of the clubs may not be going.

It's Pacific, I have it on a good source. 

They've decided they already are training fine on a paradisiacal island with postcard sunsets.

As for the opportunity to play against weak semi-pro club teams in the preseason, well they are already lined up against Whitecaps u-23.

And most importantly: if they want to hang out on a boat, they can go over to Issey's place.

I suppose a certain, comforting % of those here will appreciate this post. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Thank God! I can’t stand VAR. It just adds another (expensive and overly legitimized) level of human error.

It’s 2019 we have all this technology at our fingertips and I’m expected to spend my hard earned money going to watch a sport where your lucky if a goal is actually scored lol, and now without goal line technology or Var a goal can actually be scored but it might not be counted because we are supposed to rely on the human eye only to see if it counts? Can’t wait to see a legit goal called off because the ref thought it didn’t go in when it actually did and when the Media Pro highlights  actually show that the ball crossed the line or a goal that was called back for being offside was not actually offside after seeing the replay. We are not a third world country this is Canada we have more technology than we have use for , however our national soccer league will rely on the human eye lol not good not good at all. At the very least have some sort of goal line technology if you aren’t going to have VAR no?

9 minutes ago, 1996 said:

It’s 2019 we have all this technology at our fingertips and I’m expected to spend my hard earned money going to watch a sport where your lucky if a goal is actually scored lol, and now without goal line technology or Var a goal can actually be scored but it might not be counted because we are supposed to rely on the human eye only to see if it counts? Can’t wait to see a legit goal called off because the ref thought it didn’t go in when it actually did and when the Media Pro highlights  actually show that the ball crossed the line or a goal that was called back for being offside was not actually offside after seeing the replay. We are not a third world country this is Canada we have more technology than we have use for , however our national soccer league will rely on the human eye lol not good not good at all. At the very least have some sort of goal line technology if you aren’t going to have VAR no?

Goal line tech is different from VAR. 

goal line is an objective, factual determination. Ball crossed or didn’t cross. I’m all for it. 

VAR is a few guys in a room watching and second guessing the ref and linesmen on subjective valuations (judgment calls). 

Goal line tech yes, VAR no thanks. 

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

goal line is an objective, factual determination. Ball crossed or didn’t cross. I’m all for it. 

VAR is a few guys in a room watching and second guessing the ref and linesmen on subjective valuations (judgment calls). 

You should watch how rugby uses their equivalent to VAR.  It's great.  And the officials are mic'ed up, so you hear them talking with the judge about what they saw, what they're looking for, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

You should watch how rugby uses their equivalent to VAR.  It's great.  And the officials are mic'ed up, so you hear them talking with the judge about what they saw, what they're looking for, etc. 

I like it in rugby, but I don't think it would work well with footie.

10 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Yeah, this. I have 0 issues with goal line technology. With VAR in my experience, it doesn't increase the number of "correct" calls, it just increases the frustration when there are "incorrect" calls. Quotes because obviously it's subjective. Even with offside, in TFC's last game they scored a goal that I am still certain is offside, but VAR (and the on-field officials before that) allowed it to stand because they thought a defender being able to make contact with a ball means they had enough time to make a deliberate play on the ball. So even with offside VAR can have it's quirks, and that's one of the more objective rules in the game.

20 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

No VAR for 1st season:

No VAR for this season, for the following reasons:

1-Canada only has Drew Fischer to train other refs in how to use VAR--meaning we have virtually nobody.

2-Even if Drew understood VAR, Canada does not have enough refs to stick a couple in a booth along with the 3-4 on the field.

3-If we did, the teams in CPL would not want to pay for it

4-If they chose to pay for it, MediaPro would remind them that they do not have that many cameras available.

5-If Media Pro could come up with the cameras, the stadiums would remind them the stands are not high or long or complete enough to find a placement for them.

6-Since no team feels hard done by yet, there is no real demand for it. So all this is moot, and MediaPro is relieved. Passive Canadian soccer journalists will not even remember to cry bloody murder when their team is screwed, since in Canada we've been officially and nauseatingly NICE for 150 years.

7-Demand for VAR from fans and others ignoring traditional sports journalists will increase over the course of the first season. Wait for the refs to start calling on the basis of longevity of CPL clubs, which seems to be a priority criteria for the CSA. The older the club, the more benefit of the doubt. Demand for VAR will eventually grow from the newer clubs, in the hope of compensating the glut of heritage-based calls. 

8-Ottawa Fury will demand VAR after a CSA-paid ref screws them out of a Voyageurs Cup win. This will lead to either to i) full roll-out of VAR for all Canadian club competitions: MLS, CPL and V-Cup; or ii) Fury being summarily desanctioned, for complaining too much.

9-The expert use of VAR in Canada will eventually put the constant MLS botching to shame, and PRO officials will be sent to Canada to train the technology. Canada will lead the world in effective use of VAR and CPL competitions will be considered the international refereeing benchmark.

10-Point ten is a round number on which to end this nightmare.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Love this!

We're lucky that CPL wants to integrate Pro/Rel so that every games matters. I watched the Sunderland Netflix show when they got relegated to League One...man you feel the pain of that town and the crushing pressure on players.

That's how you excel, having no choice but to deliver under excruciating pressure. That's the mentality needed to be integrated in CPL and the Canadian Soccer culture all the way to Senior Level. When that happens... you don't get San Pedro Sula meltdown

Edited by Ansem

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

You know what else I like in Rugby? If the injury doesn't look serious, they just let medics come on and deal with it, while they play on.

That would end the flip-flopping in the corner of the pitch, that is simply trying to delay the game.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was also told that individual game tickets will go on sale in "early April" so checked into the Wanderers site this morning.  Nothing yet...

Game tickets for season ticket holders of PFC  went on sale today with general public sales starting by the end of the week IIRC .