CPL General

CS St. Laurent put out a press release denying this. 

Reports suggesting that CS Saint-Laurent and a group of North American investors pulled out of an expansion due to increased costs are incorrect. We have always maintained an open and positive relationship with Canadian soccer organizations and continue to work together to support the sport at all levels.

Any discussions between CPL and external investor groups took place independently of CS Saint-Laurent, and we were not involved in these decisions.

https://soccerstlpro.ca/fr/response-to-recent-media-reports/

The rumour is the perfect bit of outrage to fuel the "CPL hates Quebec" narrative that some are pushing. And all the person who broke the rumour has to say is "of course CS St Laurent is denying it they have to". Adds enough credit to those who want to believe it.

The story just feels too far fetched to me as I can't see a group who've invested this much money at this level over this many years to reject new investment to get a couple million bucks.

Man, I had forgotten about Sturing (interviewed in the World Soccer Magazine article above). Last game with the patchwork back line York United had I was trying to remember who was playing CB for them alongside Abatneh earlier in the season. Sturing has missed the last 6 games (almost 2 months). Anyone know if he is injured?

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It's also ridiculous for some teams to only have a couple of days to sell tickets, like was the case for Pacific last season

Should not be an issue this year.  We have known for at least a month which 4 teams will have a home playoff game.

I like the playoff format.

Edited by K Edgar

13 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Should not be an issue this year.  We have known for at least a month which 4 teams will have a home playoff game.

I like the playoff format.

It's lucky we aren't in that situation again, but it's still a flaw in the format 

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

It's lucky we aren't in that situation again, but it's still a flaw in the format 

Is it any different in any other playoff driven league? For example, the MLB season ended the day before the first playoff game. If you don't want to count the day where there was a single double header, there was 1 day off between the last regular season games and the first playoff games. Last year's MLS playoffs started 4 days after the end of the regular season. If the problem is that there isn't enough time to sell tickets, the actual problem is that fan engagement isn't high enough. If fan engagement is high, fans will know when the season is ending, if their team is going to be hosting a playoff game, and when tickets are going on sale so they can try to get them before they sell out.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Is it any different in any other playoff driven league? For example, the MLB season ended the day before the first playoff game. If you don't want to count the day where there was a single double header, there was 1 day off between the last regular season games and the first playoff games. Last year's MLS playoffs started 4 days after the end of the regular season. If the problem is that there isn't enough time to sell tickets, the actual problem is that fan engagement isn't high enough. If fan engagement is high, fans will know when the season is ending, if their team is going to be hosting a playoff game, and when tickets are going on sale so they can try to get them before they sell out.

No clue. We don't really have an MLB team out west. I followed the Mariners a bit when I was still playing a bunch of ball in the states, but I haven't really followed baseball since then. I thought their playoffs were all normal series that included home and away matches for both teams, but I could very well be mistaken. Baseball seems to happen every day or two anyways, which is very different than soccer

Edited by Aird25