CPL General

50 minutes ago, Kingston said:

This weekend, Forge could become the first team to clinch a playoff spot.  

... and with a draw on Monday Valour was the first team mathematically eliminated from the regular season title race. :(

3 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

... and with a draw on Monday Valour was the first team mathematically eliminated from the regular season title race. :(

Still, the fact that, with only six or seven games left, every team could still make the playoffs is encouraging for fans of the lower ranked teams.  Even last place Halifax is only six points out with a game in hand.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Meh.  No one was expecting them to win the league anyway.

Still have a reasonable chance at that wildcard spot.  I don't think anyone is in the driver's seat for that one yet.  My money is on Valour or Vancouver and I think Valour has the favourable schedule by a mile.

We're going to know after the next 6 tests.  Or sooner.

we shouldnt be looking at how many points away they are from fifth but rather the playoff line which is between 35-38 points...which means valour needs 4 wins and 1 draw or 5 wins in the last 6 which isnt happening

^ Oh for sure.  I think if any of the bottom four have a run that gets them to 35+ points they'll finish 5th.  Absolutely.  I'm just cynical that any of the bottom four will peg 35 points.  

I'll play.

Vancouver are currently best-of-the-rest and on 26 points with two home dates left, Forge and Valour. Otherwise they're away to Pacific, Cavalry, Wanderers and Ottawa.  Is their 9 points in there for Vancouver?  I'm not so sure.

(There better not be if Valour still have a chance of closing the distance). 

To my mind, and I guess it goes without saying, it really is going to come down to those head to head fixtures.  

Lot's of CPL roster action today:

• Forge bring on Orlendis Benitez, Victor Klonaridis, Oliver Clow, Kenan Hodzic and Daniil Antonov;
  • Halifax sign David Mavakala and Nassim Mekideche;
  • York sign Kembo Kibato;
  • Vancouver sign Austin Ricci;
  • Cavalry get Jay Herdman on loan from the Whitecaps.

Any other movement I missed?

5 minutes ago, masster said:

Not sure if it is just me...but I am seeing way more online CPL ads than I was in the past. Video ads on YouTube, banner ads on soccer websites I visit, etc.

I've been seeing York United ads on Facebook and YouTube. I didn't see that before.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Big mystery in all of this would be why someone would feel a need to use a sad emoticon in response to finding out that John Herdman's son is a domestic player? Wonderful tolerant inclusive environment we have on here sometimes. 

Thanks for noticing. A domestic should be able to play for OUR national team in case you do not know what domestic means.

And of course it does not seem to bother you at all that he's taking a roster spot of a real domestic player.

Edited by MtlMario

Jay Herdman has played for the Canada U-20 team in the past. That means he is a Canadian citizen. It is nonsensical to suggest that a Canadian citizen should not be a domestic player in the context of Canadian soccer. If CanPL attempted to apply the sort of roster policy you seem to want they would be prevented from doing so by employment legislation.

Jay Herdman has played for the Canada U-20 team in the past. That means he is a Canadian citizen. It is nonsensical to suggest that a Canadian citizen should not be a domestic player in the context of Canadian soccer. If CanPL attempted to apply the sort of roster policy you seem to want they would be prevented from doing so by employment legislation.

What if all the "Canadian citizens" ( as you like to call them) in the CPL decided to play for other countries, how great would that be for developing players for our national team?

I do not think the CPL is there to develop players for other countries.

Edited by MtlMario

23 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

What if all the "Canadian citizens" ( as you like to call them)...

^^^the league really needs to be careful about using slogans that are bordering on being dog whistles, such as "By Canadians For Canadians", because it attracts unsavoury individuals like this who do not seem to be able to accept the inclusive conventional definition of what is meant by the word Canadian. It also leaves out the approximately 10% of the population across Canada (will be higher in the major cities) who are not citizens and who are often some of the people who are most likely to be interested in following a pro sport other than baseball, gridiron or hockey.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^the league really needs to be careful about using slogans that are bordering on being dog whistles, such as "By Canadians For Canadians", because it attracts unsavoury individuals like this who do not seem to be able to accept the inclusive conventional definition of what is meant by the word Canadian. It also leaves out the approximately 10% of the population across Canada (will be higher in the major cities) who are not citizens and who are often some of the people who are most likely to be interested in following a pro sport other than baseball, gridiron or hockey.

You're weird.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

And for your information I'm a second generation Canadian so do not try to tell the definition of being Canadian. You are probably the last person here to talk about being Canadian.

Wow you should roll that all up in to an Argentinian chant. So now people not born here can't consider themselves Canadian? You've hit a new desperate low in your trolling. Only people born here can be Canadians and can like baseball, football and hockey. Ok David Duke whatever you say

Edited by SpursFlu