CPL General

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What part of "Genuinely hope I won't be able to say I told you so" did you fail to grasp? I have paid for a Onesoccer subscription. How am I not embracing and enjoying the league? I find it incredible sometimes the way some people on here don't seem to grasp that pointing out that there is an alternative way to go that is less riskly and likely to be more sustainable and to result in a more readily achievable expansion process is motivated by actually wanting the league to still be around in 20 years time.

He didn't say "embracing and enjoying the league". He said "embracing and enjoying the growth of the league". I haven't been to the questioning CPL attendance thread since I recently dropped in that one time, but it does appear anytime someone mentions something that points to growth, you do not embrace that news and instead try to dissect it and tell us why it's not true or actually a sign of the opposite.

He even said "I am sure you will miss watching the matches", which indicates he knows you do enjoy the league.

36 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What part of "Genuinely hope I won't be able to say I told you so" did you fail to grasp? I have paid for a Onesoccer subscription. How am I not embracing and enjoying the league? I find it incredible sometimes the way some people on here don't seem to grasp that pointing out that there is an alternative way to go that is less riskly and likely to be more sustainable and to result in a more readily achievable expansion process is motivated by actually wanting the league to still be around in 20 years time.

Easy answer to this one, it is boring.

A third of your posts are "We're domed! I am the messiah with knowledge of a panacea for all CPL ills, a CHL style bus league..."  It is boring.

Beware hubris, stop dreaming about 'I told you so', be constructive not provocative, be less boring. 

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Whether the league is actually growing is subjective opinion rather than proven fact. You can't just ignore Mediapro exiting early and the Fath brothers and Baldassarra family bailing out, if you are looking at what is happening objectively.

I am not interested in debating the subjectivity of what is or isn't league growth. I just want to be able to read a CPL news story or development on this forum and not hear "We're domed! I am the messiah with knowledge of a panacea for all CPL ills, a CHL style bus league..."  

Some of the news stories and developments will be good, some bad, but please tone it down on the hostile preconceived agenda, which is basically a one man crusade at this point.

10 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:
...stop dreaming about 'I told you so', be constructive not provocative, be less boring. 

Shows I had a basis for stating, what part of "Genuinely hope I won't be able to say I told you so" did you fail to grasp? AFAIA we have never met so how do you even feel qualified to ascribe motivations like this? If you don't like my posts, there's a simple solution. It's easy enough to simply not read them.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Shows I had a basis for stating, what part of "Genuinely hope I won't be able to say I told you so" did you fail to grasp? AFAIA we have never met so how do you even feel qualified to ascribe motivations like this? If you don't like my posts, there's a simple solution. It's easy enough to simply not read them.

If you genuinely don't want to be the guy to say 'I told you so' all you have to do it stop saying 'I told you so' repeatedly over and over again. 

I want to read about the CPL, you are on every thread about the CPL, you say relevant things half the time. You're on a crusade the other half. I am not going to block you, I am going to keep asking you to beware hubris and tone down the semi-religious fanaticism.

42 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

If you genuinely don't want to be the guy to say 'I told you so' all you have to do it stop saying 'I told you so' repeatedly over and over again. 

I want to read about the CPL, you are on every thread about the CPL, you say relevant things half the time. You're on a crusade the other half. I am not going to block you, I am going to keep asking you to beware hubris and tone down the semi-religious fanaticism.

He also only ventures to the other sub forums (Men's NT, Womens NT, etc) only to post bad things about CPL or CSB.

He is obsessed with one topic only. Tearing down the CPL because it didn't conform to his wishes. How does the saying go? The enemy of good is perfect.

By the way, the League 1 Canada system is basically the 'bus league' he's been dreaming about. What's so bad about having a tier above that but below MLS?

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

AFAIA we have never met so how do you even feel qualified to ascribe motivations like this?

Regardless of the particular conversation you are arguing about right now, I don't think meeting face to face is necessary to know (at least the soccer fan part) someone when they have over 8000 posts on the forum.

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

Regardless of the particular conversation you are arguing about right now, I don't think meeting face to face is necessary to know (at least the soccer fan part) someone when they have over 8000 posts on the forum.

You may have a pretty good idea of what my opinions are about certain topics related to the future of Canadian soccer but you definitely don't know me as a person in real life or what my underlying motivations are. Also worth noting that this forum started out in the late 90s with support for the CMNT being the main topic with an Iranian-Canadian dude called Reza from Edmonton getting the ball rolling. The CMNT and their female counterparts from the CWNT aren't exactly huge fans of the CSB deal with the latter group even going as far as pursuing legal action against former CSA officeholders in that context. The notion that some people seem to have that this forum should be an echo chamber of uncritical pro-CSB deal opinion is frankly bizarre given that backdrop.  

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You may have a pretty good idea of what my opinions are about certain topics related to the future of Canadian soccer but you definitely don't know me as a person or what my underlying motivations are. Also worth noting that this forum started out in the late 90s with support for the CMNT being the main topic with an Iranian-Canadian dude called Reza from Edmonton getting the ball rolling. The CMNT and their female counterparts from the CWNT aren't exactly huge fans of the CSB deal. The notion that some people seem to have that this forum should be an echo chamber of pro-CSB deal opinion is frankly bizarre given that backdrop.  

I think it's pretty clear they didn't understand the realities of the CSB deal at the time of making those statements. What have we heard from them recently?

Edited by Aird25

Random anecdote. Last night at my kids soccer game I overheard two dads talking. One of them was talking about recently going to a TFC game. He said he's been a number of times but it had been a while. He enjoyed it, but then he went on to say he'd like to try out a York game. He said the level is pretty good and it's much cheaper.

Maybe people in other CPL cities overhear talk of their team away from the stadium and not on game day, but I don't remember it ever happening for me in Toronto. I have seen York gear a couple times, but this is the first time I overheard a conversation about them. I don't think the guy realized I was wearing a York United hat next to him (a few meters away though).

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

Random anecdote. Last night at my kids soccer game I overheard two dads talking. One of them was talking about recently going to a TFC game. He said he's been a number of times but it had been a while. He enjoyed it, but then he went on to say he'd like to try out a York game. He said the level is pretty good and it's much cheaper.

Maybe people in other CPL cities overhear talk of their team away from the stadium and not on game day, but I don't remember it ever happening for me in Toronto. I have seen York gear a couple times, but this is the first time I overheard a conversation about them. I don't think the guy realized I was wearing a York United hat next to him (a few meters away though).

I've heard this sort of talk in Ottawa (footy is good quality, tickets are ok price) but not really in Toronto. Usually it's me telling people there's footy at York if they don't want to lug themselves down to Lakeshore and would prefer to lug themselves to York, and then having to explain that it's a professional team and not York University's team. 😆

Are you not embarrassed when you behave as childishly as that? The bizarre thing about this sub-forum is how adamant a small clique of posters with views that are seriously out of tune with the mainstream of the Canadian soccer community can be that only their preferred perspective should ever be heard on here. You only have to look at Toronto or Vancouver to see what happens when the soccer community has a choice between CanPL and MLS and it isn't people falling over themselves to go and see the league that is "By Canadians For Canadians" because they have been seething with rage about the iniquities of MLS roster rules.

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

I've heard this sort of talk in Ottawa (footy is good quality, tickets are ok price) but not really in Toronto. Usually it's me telling people there's footy at York if they don't want to lug themselves down to Lakeshore and would prefer to lug themselves to York, and then having to explain that it's a professional team and not York University's team. 😆

Yeah, the name sucks for that reason. I always feel the need to explain it's pro, not the university team as well. And yeah, it's always me explaining to people, I've never heard anyone explain the team or league to someone else (or to me not knowing I know).

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

a small clique of posters

I don't think there's a clique involved. I presume your contributions are just generally disagreed with

look at Toronto or Vancouver to see what happens when the soccer community has a choice between CanPL and MLS

Aren't you always bemoaning anyone that pitches MLS against CPL. Maybe try to follow your own standards

Edited by Aird25

Are you not embarrassed when you behave as childishly as that? The bizarre thing about this sub-forum is how adamant a small clique of posters...ahem one poster to be truthful continuously tries to disingenuously undercut the league the owners, CSB, Onesoccer etc and then he wonders  boo hoo why are they picking on me??  I dont think there is a poster on here that wishes the 3 MLS teams would dissappear.  No one complains onesoccer talks about MLS constantly even though they dont have any broadcast rights to the league (TSN I am looking at you).  He is the one who constantly pits MLS vs CPL. Most of us (me included) watch the CDN MLS as much as I can. I think 20k can watch TFC/VAN/Montreal and also 5k can see Pacific/York/Laval..etc etc.  And heres a newsflash, for those of us who dont like many MLS rules, well I dont care for all the CPL rules either.  And when they are slanted against CDN players, being a CDN myself i dont like it.  And the reason why  a lot of us like the idea of a CDN league for and by CDN is that there was no way in hell MLS was going to put any more teams in canada.  They poached the big markets and thats it, MLS growth done.  SO if you werent blessed with living in TO, Montreal or VAN youre just about f#cked in regards to having some local pro soccer.   Halifax is f#cked, Calgary is f#cked, Sask/WPG is F#cked. Having a lower level league across the country and not just in the golden horseshoe appeals to people and we are excited about it.   Why you disparage the CPL at every chance is beyond me, I dont see why they cant co-exist as part of a larger soccer pyramid that builds the game up in canada.  

Please dont quote this post, because that birdbrain constantly says he has me blocked and I dont believe him for a second.  

Are you not embarrassed when you behave as childishly as that? The bizarre thing about this sub-forum is how adamant a small clique of posters with views that are seriously out of tune with the mainstream of the Canadian soccer community can be that only their preferred perspective should ever be heard on here. You only have to look at Toronto or Vancouver to see what happens when the soccer community has a choice between CanPL and MLS and it isn't people falling over themselves to go and see the league that is "By Canadians For Canadians" because they have been seething with rage about the iniquities of MLS roster rules.

You believe you represent the mainstream of the Canadian soccer community? Seriously? Talk about bein out of tune. My god you are one twisted individual. 

The league in general needs to be more transparent. From a Pacific  perspective, we have gotten worse under the watch of Merriman. What's changed though... investment, leadership, squad structure... I don't know, and I'm pretty close to the club. Merriman has largely been responsible for roster building since day one, before he became head coach, and he's had some success at that. So what comes next?

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

You believe you represent the mainstream of the Canadian soccer community? Seriously? Talk about bein out of tune. My god you are one twisted individual. 

I'm actually interested to know what he even considers the 'mainstream' of the Canadian soccer community?

As far as I can tell, this place still has the best soccer discussions on the internet. Maybe I'm missing somewhere else?

That CanPL sub-reddit he loves to quote has barely any action.

The the main TFC supporter forum is basically dead. It has maybe 5 regular posters and that its. Some match thread barely get 2 pages these days.

Twitter? Facebook? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm actually interested to know what he even considers the 'mainstream' of the Canadian soccer community?

As far as I can tell, this place still has the best soccer discussions on the internet. Maybe I'm missing somewhere else?

That CanPL sub-reddit he loves to quote has barely any action.

The the main TFC supporter forum is basically dead. It has maybe 5 regular posters and that its. Some match thread barely get 2 pages these days.

Twitter? Facebook? I don't think so.

My understanding from his post wasn't about there being some other forum or social media or whatever that is the voice of the mainstream. Just that people vote with their dollars and the MLS teams draw many more fans than the CPL teams in those same cities. I don't go on the MLS forum on here, but what we see on here seems to indicate that the CPL is the more important league, but that isn't reflected in attendance or viewership ratings (not that we have that data). I think that was his point.