CPL General

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Can Montreal loan him to a CPL club?  I thought the CPL had imposed a limit on the number of players league wide who could be on loan from MLS teams.

I've never been particularly interested in loans from MLS but Pacific are struggling now. We need an injection of talent and we definitely haven't taken on anywhere near 4 loans this season, or even over a number of seasons. I won't pretend to have any strong analysis on Zouhir. I'm sure I've watched him, but I don't have anything to say on his abilities 

Edited by Aird25

I might be mistaken, but I think the limit is per MLS team. So Montreal can't loan more than X players to the CPL at a time. According to Wikipedia right now they have Ilias Iliadis on loan to Atletico Ottawa, and Matteo Schiavoni on loan to Forge. Is it possible that 2 is the limit? At any rate, Wikipedia also says Montreal has 2 players loaned out to Las Vegas (but they are Americans) and 1 to Norway (from Iceland).

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

I might be mistaken, but I think the limit is per MLS team. So Montreal can't loan more than X players to the CPL at a time. According to Wikipedia right now they have Ilias Iliadis on loan to Atletico Ottawa, and Matteo Schiavoni on loan to Forge. Is it possible that 2 is the limit? At any rate, Wikipedia also says Montreal has 2 players loaned out to Las Vegas (but they are Americans) and 1 to Norway (from Iceland).

From https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/

Loan Agreements

The following rules apply to incoming loan players:

• A CPL Club may utilize a maximum of five (5) incoming loans during a CPL League Season.
  • A CPL Club shall have a maximum of two (2) incoming player loans from any one team.
  • The League shall have a maximum of five (5) incoming loans from any one team in any CPL League Season.

With today's results we have a very tightly packed top tier of 4 teams battling for position that have separated themselves from the rest. 

What remains to be seen is if the bottom 4 is a single group battling for the 5th playoff spot, or two further tiers: the BC teams and the crap teams.

Tommorow's games could clarify things in this regard.

Hopefully Pacific fans view that as win-win rather than one of SixFive's clubs being strengthened at the expense of the other. How can this happen outside the transfer window if CanPL isn't a single entity though and independent clubs rather than the league hold the contracts?

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hopefully Pacific fans view that as win-win rather than one of SixFive's clubs being strengthened at the expense of the other. How can this happen outside the transfer window if CanPL isn't a single entity though and independent clubs rather than the league hold the contracts?

It had to have happened before the deadline. It just hasn't been officially announced for whatever reason

Heck some poster on here already mentioned it days ago

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hopefully Pacific fans view that as win-win rather than one of SixFive's clubs being strengthened at the expense of the other. 

I don’t think  that’s it. 

Ayman is following the money for the big payoff.   No loyalty.  He’s a Sellouf. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I think it was the international transfer window that just closed. So players can't come in from clubs from other countries after that date. Rosters aren't frozen though I don't believe.

https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/#:~:text=CPL Club rosters will be,2024 at 5 p.m. ET.

According to that link, CPL rosters are frozen on September 13th at 5pm ET. I am not totally certain if that means intra league trades can happen between the closing of the transfer window and that September 13th date, or if in that time you can only sign amateurs. But I'm pretty sure trades are still allowed until the 13th. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

I think it was the international transfer window that just closed...

The way it normally works in Scotland (league I pay most attention to elsewhere) AFAIA is you can still sign out of contract players outside the windows or players from a significantly lower level (i.e. L1 sort of equivalents) but transfers of registration can't happen between SPFL clubs. Found it odd that Manuel Veth makes it sound in the tweet like negotiations are still in progress. Neither Dyer or Sellouf were on the gameday roster on the weekend so not impossible the paperwork was submitted and it just wasn't announced yet for whatever reason.

Edit: pending changes to visa paperwork is a conceivable reason for the delay.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I wish it was someone other than Sellouf. He still has that ability to flip the switch and be the most dangerous attacking player we have. If someone can coach consistency and effort into him he could be a very good player, and we need creativity on the pitch right now. We have plenty of DMs that are decent defensively but offer nothing going forward 

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The way it normally works in Scotland (league I pay most attention to elsewhere) AFAIA is you can still sign out of contract players outside the windows or players from a significantly lower level (i.e. L1 sort of equivalents) but transfers of registration can't happen between SPFL clubs. Found it odd that Manuel Veth makes it sound in the tweet like negotiations are still in progress. Neither Dyer or Sellouf were on the gameday roster on the weekend so not impossible the paperwork was submitted and it just wasn't announced yet for whatever reason.

Edit: pending changes to visa paperwork is a conceivable reason for the delay.

I remember when Quillan Roberts was owned by TFC but was on loan to their USL affiliate in the USA. He couldn’t be recalled from loan after the transfer window closed, but if he had been on a Canadian based team he would have been allowed. Different situations, but that is what hammered home to me that these windows are for changing clubs from one FA to another FA. 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Geez, won't Pacific miss Lajuenesse?  He always looked pretty good to me.

think theyll move forward with giguere quintana as cbs and ceceri their backup and mukumbilwa luke ceceri as fullback options...amedume as emergency backup but he hasnt been good and contract expiring so hes probably gone after this year and lajeunesse most likely returns next year

Rare CPL coverage by Bell media outlet BNN Bloomberg. Written by a football-interested TMU student but would have needed approval from the higher ups. Befitting a student, it is a solid but unspectacular article.

Nothing new revealed. But Noonan wants OneSoccer to be the 24/7/365 home for soccer fans in Canada. KJ says "As OneSoccer gets closer to becoming a linear channel on some of the major television cable companies, it is important to understand that digital media, social media and streaming are absolutely enormous for a league like ours to be relevant and known."

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/business-of-sports/2024/08/16/business-strategies-drive-the-canadian-premier-leagues-national-ambitions/?lid=dngxlkkhst2y

Edited by red card

The "gets closer to becoming" weasel wording is no doubt because they don't generate anything like enough content for a conventional 24/7/365 linear cable channel. They will need to keep Onesoccer going one way or another to meet commitments made to the sponsors that CSB have attracted in the run up to 2026 but with MediaPro exiting who is paying for the production costs for four games each weekend?

Are they going to be able to recoup the lost rights fees whether that be in part through some exit fee Mediapro paid as part of a final settlement or finding an alternative broadcaster who is willing to pay for a game of the week or something along those line? It's difficult to overstate how bad losing Mediapro could be for CSB's finances given how skewed the rights payments were towards the final years of the deal.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The "gets closer to becoming" weasel wording is no doubt because they don't generate anything like enough content for a conventional 24/7/365 linear cable channel. They will need to keep Onesoccer going one way or another to meet commitments made to the sponsors that CSB have attracted in the run up to 2026 but with MediaPro exiting who is paying for the production costs for four games each weekend?

Are they going to be able to recoup the lost rights fees whether that be in part through some exit fee Mediapro paid as part of a final settlement or finding an alternative broadcaster who is willing to pay for a game of the week or something along those line? It's difficult to overstate how bad losing Mediapro could be for CSB's finances given how skewed the rights payments were towards the final years of the deal.

I'm having a difficult time getting through this convoluted mass of bullshit.

^ Have a long history with E & C here in Winnipeg when it comes to football, going back decades.  For good and bad.

In 2024 RRR moved their Valour away viewings to E & C.  It was felt a change of scenery would be nice and they threw drink and food discounts our way so we took the bait.  Menu seems more popular, place is a bit smallish so it can get a bit crowded (it's a hotel bar) but a pretty positive experience so far.  That is, after they got used to us.    

It sounds funny, but we have people who'll come out to E & C but won't go to The King's Head.  OK sure, one is a pub and the other a hotel bar and each has their own vibe but still, they're literally 4-5 downtown streets apart.  A six-ten minute walk apart.  WTF?