CPL General

I'm actually a little bit surprised there aren't just a couple of global transfer windows for everyone each year in, say, January and July.  Sort of like FIFA dates for international tournaments.

27 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can anyone think of a reason why CanPL actually needed a different set of dates for this rather than to be awkward?

CPL were expecting the same set of dates from last year, not different ones. It was MLS that decides to change the datea.

Then suddenly Pacific had to play a semi-final cup tie without a potentially starting striker, as well as our Ndom unjury replacement that are already signed and training with the team apparently. Likely one of the biggest games of the season and we were suddenly told that we were unable to field 2 potential starters that we had planned on. Not to mention how tight the league itself is right now and teams can't field players they had planned on. Every game matters

Edited by Aird25

19 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

CPL were expecting the same set of dates from last year, not different ones. It was MLS that decides to change the datea.

More accurately, it was the CSA that decided to release their decision on dates very late.  Which is stupid.

I also don't get why the CSA couldn't have just opened the window for the same date as last year and left it open longer.  If the CPL teams asked for July 5 to August 5 (or whatever the end date is) and the MLS teams asked for July 18 to August 18, why not just go July 5 to August 18?

8 hours ago, Big_M said:

future cpl player kosi thompson believes that his future league cpl isnt anywhere near first team football in canada...

The future CanPL player angle was my first thought as well. I guess he's referring to the standard of play that TFC can achieve when fringe players like him don't have to be selected because players like Richie Laryea are not injured or on international duty.

Just as earlier rounds showed that there isn't much of a gap between a top L1 club and a CanPL side doing a lot of squad rotation to give its roster depth some playing time, the Canadian Championship also highlights that the gap in quality between younger MLS roster depth like him that is being kept around for future potential reasons and the top end of what CanPL has to offer with more experienced starters all playing isn't that big, if it even exists at all in some cases.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

future cpl player kosi thompson believes that his future league cpl isnt anywhere near first team football in canada

I do feel sorry for whatever team this dingbat lands on, but I also hope that if he does end up in the league, fans of other teams remember this.

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

The bit that puzzles me even more is, "and it shouldn't be the case."  He thinks CPL should be inferior?  

I took that to mean a team with a $1 million payroll shouldn’t be competitive with a team with a $25 million payroll.  Which I completely agree with.  

28 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Jesse Marsch talks about stand out players from MLS and CPL stepping up for 2026.  For those who follow the CPL, are there any players that fit that mould  this year?

Seriously doubt it where a 2026 timeline and World Cup roster level of breakthrough is concerned. 

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seriously doubt it where a 2026 timeline and World Cup roster level of breakthrough is concerned. 

Never say never. There was rumours of Taheed going to Feyenord at 18 and Tavernier moving to Monaco. If something like that happen to them or another CPL players they'd have to be considered IMO.

...and Kenny Stamatopolous was going to Bayern Munich at one point. Opa! Agents talk a lot to boost their client's profile. Meanwhile, they have 39 and 130 minutes worth of playing time in the league this season:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/kevaughn-tavernier/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/1149058/wettbewerb/CDN1/saison/2023

https://www.transfermarkt.us/taryck-tahid/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/1136896/wettbewerb/CDN1/saison/2023

There's no obvious reason to believe they are the next big thing for 2026 based on what is happening this season if they are frequently being left out of the 18 man game day squads. Compare and contrast with Alphonso Davies at the Whitecaps at a similar age.

Beyond all that it's worth noting I didn't say never only that I seriously doubted it because none of the young prospects that come to mind are even having an Aribim Pepple sort of impact on the league so far this season. He along with Balou Tabla in years past also highlights that you need to follow the big move overseas with a solid performance level once you get there.

I suspect the days of starting regularly for clubs like Ross County or Korona Kielce being enough for that in CMNT selection terms after a move out of CanPL are drawing to a close. The bar is slowly being raised  as the years pass. It's not impossible somebody will burst onto the scene in a huge way in 2025 but we are quickly running out of runway now where 2026 is concerned.

12 hours ago, Kingston said:

I took that to mean a team with a $1 million payroll shouldn’t be competitive with a team with a $25 million payroll.  Which I completely agree with.  

I see.   I didn't read it that way, but that makes sense. 

19 hours ago, Kingston said:

Perhaps one payroll is inflated? Let's be honest that those DP don't get those wages in Europe🤣

15 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Jesse Marsch talks about stand out players from MLS and CPL stepping up for 2026.  For those who follow the CPL, are there any players that fit that mould  this year?

Emil Gazdov is turning into a fantastic keeper and he has all the attributes to jump up a level or two 

20 hours ago, phil03 said:

I'd say he was probably thinking of the wonderkids type of players and that he'd like to see one or two coming through the CPL which... so do we all!

If he had players in mind I'd say Tavernier and Taheed are good guesses.

Taheed is not even making the bench routinely for Vancouver.  I think the "wonderkid" talk needs to be scaled back a bit.

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Perhaps one payroll is inflated? Let's be honest that those DP don't get those wages in Europe🤣

There’s truth to that.  Even if you want to adjust the DP salaries, however, the payroll is still a many times multiple of a CPL team’s payroll. 

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

pokus doing great one of the best strikers in the league...at 21 if he continues hes getting a move up...and larin is not the answer at striker so who knows

a day after this comment he scores a brace in front of marsch

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

a day after this comment he scores a brace in front of marsch

Isn't that like 8 goals and 2 assists in his first 9 matches as a striker, including goals against Toronto and Montreal