CPL General

^High profile NA sports leagues like NCAA football and Major League Baseball are expanding or have expanded their playoff formats for a league championship.  Six of nine CFL teams make the playoffs for the Grey Cup.  It seems pretty sett in the sporting culture.

Edited by BearcatSA

I tend to be more of a purist but it should be noted that many traditional football leagues do have playoff formats just not in their top division. Those playoffs tend to generate a lot of excitement and money. So make of that as you will

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Pleasantly surprised that Sportsnet had highlights of the Pacific / Cavalry game last night. Bodes well that they will do the same for the final.

Here's hoping they talk about the game prior to the game to help drive interest and awareness. Highlights are great but it's a bit after the fact when you want people to tune in and buy tickets 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 10/17/2023 at 9:10 PM, BearcatSA said:

^High profile NA sports leagues like NCAA football and Major League Baseball are expanding or have expanded their playoff formats for a league championship.  Six of nine CFL teams make the playoffs for the Grey Cup.  It seems pretty set in the sporting culture.

I see that the contestants for this year's World Series were both horrible two years ago and below .500 mediocre last year.  Even in the no hard salary cap MLB, anybody can win.

I don't think it has been mentioned here, but the new playoff champion trophy will be revealed tonight at the CPL Awards on OneSoccer at 7pm Eastern. Despite all the promotion of the new trophy I have seen on Facebook with all the fake rejected ideas for the cup, I have only seen it mentioned in the recent CPL attendance article when and where the new Cup will be revealed.

"The league will also reveal the North Star Cup, the recently announced trophy to be awarded to the League’s playoff champion starting this season, as part of the awards ceremony."

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-attendance-soars-in-historic-fifth-season

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Looks like the awards will be on OneSoccer's youtube channel. They already have it listed.

I don't know for sure if it will also be on the OneSoccer app. I'd check the schedule but that would probably log me out of the app on my Roku.

It is listed on the schedule on Fubo.

7pm ET start

Edited by narduch