CPL General

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How many has that been then? And who are they?

If we had proper cpl news media we'd get weekly ratings not just for players but for refs.

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think the other 2 are Lauziere and Dujic.

I think that just means they got their FIFA International certification. Before that they were National referees, who can't referee "international" teams like American MLS teams.  There are certain American MLS refs who can't referee in Canada or Canadian MLS teams in the U.S.

At least that's how it was when I was refereeing. There are levels you must pass to move up, and each level allows higher-profile games.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Didn't they just renovate this stadium?

Yes.  It was completed in 2014.

The south stands were demolished and rebuilt with luxury boxes, etc.  The north side was essentially just given a face lift.  It is now the north side that is being demolished and rebuilt (along with an adjacent arena and condos). 

So, random question here:

Since I follow the CPL I have found myself more invested in the league as a whole then in my club (Ottawa). I found myself looking at the attendance numbers with more attention then the actual ranking table and caring more about games in CONCACAF League by other clubs then those of my own team inside the league.

Am I the only one having such a take or are others having related sentiments and, if it is the later, do you believe it is a good, bad or neutral thing for the league?

Edited by phil03

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

Since I follow the CPL I have found myself more invested in the league as a whole then in my club (Ottawa). I found myself looking at the attendance numbers with more attention then the actual ranking table and caring more about games in CONCACAF League by other clubs then those of my own team.

Am I the only one having such a take or are others having related sentiments and, if it is the later, do you believe it is a good, bad or neutral thing for the league?

I would say both? I am definitely immensely invested in Halifax, but I care more about the league than any other team. It's like "the CPL" is my second squad. 

Especially being an out-of-market fan, league expansion is particularly important to me. 

5 hours ago, phil03 said:

Since I follow the CPL I have found myself more invested in the league as a whole then in my club (Ottawa). I found myself looking at the attendance numbers with more attention then the actual ranking table and caring more about games in CONCACAF League by other clubs then those of my own team inside the league.

I don't follow the other teams all that closely apart from how their results affect Pacific and the standings. I suspect we're in a bit of a microcosm here with certain posters so ardently focused on poor attendance and the league's demise. I also assume you would consider yourself a Montreal fan first?

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't follow the other teams all that closely apart from how their results affect Pacific and the standings. I suspect we're in a bit of a microcosm here with certain posters so ardently focused on poor attendance and the league's demise. I also assume you would consider yourself a Montreal fan first?

To paraphrase Bale, my general feelings are Canada/Impact/Ottawa, in that order, except unlike him there is no shade thrown at the last one, merely an expression of how strongly I am invested. I'll support Athletico Ottawa against literally every single club in the world safe one. I also think that my support of all three teams interact with each other, if that makes sense?

Sure, MTL has been my number-one club since childhood but a big part of why I am so attached to them now is that even before they started to bank even more heavily on Canadian soccer with their new club model they were still good at getting a decent amount of Canadian players around as well as developing players through smaller Canadian clubs (before the CPL it was the Fury) and they carried (and still carry) most of the weight of making sure professional soccer in Canada isn't an English-only affair and that we, the 25% of the country who are French speakers, are included and have good occasion to contribute to the growth of the Canadian game if we wish. Similarly, my Ottawa fandom has obviously something to do with living in the area now but the fact the Fury were the main affiliate of MTL and that Athletico did its best to act as their continuation (which, without relitigating Montagliani's decision, was probably the right move to get the city's Soccer fans to buy in the club) also played an important role in getting me to cheer for them. Of course, my support of the CPL and its project as well as picking a team to support it also has a lot to do with me knowing how important it is for the long-term future of the CMNT.

On the attendance you have a point, although I'd say that the good news from Hamilton, Calgary, and Ottawa were also widely commented on this year. :)

Edited by phil03

10 hours ago, phil03 said:

I'm hoping to see the league succeed and I do watch quite a lot of the games. I don't pay much attention to the attendance numbers as I'm more interested in what happens on the field but I get that the league needs revenue. 

If my CPL team doesn't start performing better / league quality as a whole improves I imagine I would stop buying season tickets and focus on other avenues to support local soccer so I guess my take is local soccer > CPL.

On 10/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, phil03 said:

I am the same way. I don't watch a lot of non-York United games (will watch as much playoffs as I can I think) but I do attendance watch and I also care a lot about inter-league games involving CPL teams (I even went to the first Forge CONCACAF League home game despite them not being my team). It was the exact same way with me and MLS until the CPL was announced. I still follow TFC closely, but MLS is safe from folding and I no longer care if they become one of the top leagues in the world. I no longer attendance watch for MLS, or think about how great this or that is for the league, I now cheer against non-Toronto MLS teams in Champions League as well.

I don't think it's bad to cheer for the league, but if we get to the point where you feel like you don't have to cheer for the league, that is better, because it's a sign that the league is thriving.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Newest Concacaf club rankings are out.

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/club/

CPL Clubs:

54 - Cavalry

57 - Forge

64 - Pacific 

70 - York

71 - Atletico Ottawa 

72 - HFX Wanderers 

94 - Valour

100 - Vancouver FC 

Thank you.  I've never seen this ranking before.  It's interesting that Cavalry's only five spots behind $Toronto$.

Edited by vancanman

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Newest Concacaf club rankings are out.

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/club/

CPL Clubs:

54 - Cavalry

57 - Forge

64 - Pacific 

70 - York

71 - Atletico Ottawa 

72 - HFX Wanderers 

94 - Valour

100 - Vancouver FC 

Seems those rankings privilege previous form, don't take into account current tables, and are hard to budge. And that Leagues Cup wasn't factored in at all. Or Open Cup. Or Voyageurs Cup.

Maybe it'll adjust better by mid December.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I am the same way. I don't watch a lot of non-York United games (will watch as much playoffs as I can I think) but I do attendance watch and I also care a lot about inter-league games involving CPL teams (I even went to the first Forge CONCACAF League home game despite them not being my team). It was the exact same way with me and MLS until the CPL was announced. I still follow TFC closely, but MLS is safe from folding and I no longer care if they become one of the top leagues in the world. I no longer attendance watch for MLS, or think about how great this or that is for the league, I now cheer against non-Toronto MLS teams in Champions League as well.

I don't think it's bad to cheer for the league, but if we get to the point where you feel like you don't have to cheer for the league, that is better, because it's a sign that the league is thriving.

As someone who grew up a die-hard CFL fan, it reminds me of the late eighties / early nineties when I was always cheering for the home team in the hopes it would ensure a few more fans in the stands.  I think the Ticats even offered the fans refunds if they lost at home at one point.