CPL General

On 5/3/2023 at 11:35 AM, Kingston said:

I'm not suggesting that the CSA ignores the other clubs - nor should they.  This year's Canadian Championship schedule is simply foolish.  This year's schedule isn't so much the CSA accommodating the MLS teams as it is the CSA choosing a stupid option when there were very obvious, better options available that would have been useful for all the teams from L1 to MLS.

V-Cup schedule aside, the fact that CPL teams are guaranteed two of our three CCL spots is an example of the CSA looking out for the CPL.  The CSB deal (love it or hate it) is another.  As well as the previously mentioned starting the whole league in the first place.

My take on this is if MLS teams want more Canadian berths, they can play in more Canadian competitions. Since they play in US competitions, they can play for US berths. Wales doesn't give it's berths to the Welsh teams playing in the English league, and we shouldn't either. Simple as that.

19 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

My take on this is if MLS teams want more Canadian berths, they can play in more Canadian competitions...

Given the three MLS clubs are the only Canadian entrants in the Leagues Cup and can qualify that way as well as through the Canadian Championship, it's arguably CanPL clubs that have received the raw deal in the larger scheme of things given they are not likely to be much more than a speedbump in the CCL at a time of year when playing home games in several CanPL stadia is going to be completely impractical.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Given the three MLS clubs are the only Canadian entrants in the Leagues Cup and can qualify that way as well as through the Canadian Championship, it's arguably CanPL clubs that have received the raw deal in the larger scheme of things given they are not likely to be much more than a speedbump in the CCL at a time of year when playing home games in several CanPL stadia is going to be completely impractical.  

The speedbump argument is completely irrelevant. While I do lament the loss of the CONCACAF league as it was a competition that was at an appropriate level, that CanPL clubs get to play against giants and likely get that one big payday and the opportunity of relevance and giant killing is worthwhile. Say nothing if the draw puts a CanPL team against a  Caribbean or Central American club and then potentially against the Caribbean or Central American champ in the 2nd round.

31 minutes ago, Ansem said:

What are the odds of any of those 3 qualifying via MLS or League Cup in the near future? V Cup seems like their best best for a while while CPL gets 2 automatic via the league.

Nice try vulture

I know he says a lot, but I think he's in agreement with you. The MLS teams have multiple ways to qualify (MLS league and Cup, Leagues Cup, V Cup), and giving the 2 remaining Canadian spots to CPL clubs isn't an issue. It's how I see it as well, that they've got it balanced correctly right now.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

What are the odds of any of those 3 qualifying via MLS or League Cup in the near future? V Cup seems like their best best for a while while CPL gets 2 automatic via the league.

Nice try vulture

At any time, the three Canadian MLS clubs have the best chance to qualify through the V-Cup compared to MLS or the Leagues Cup.  That's just the simple math of a competition with three MLS-caliber clubs versus competitions with many, many more MLS-caliber clubs.

But, like Watchman said, I think you and Ozzie are actually saying essentially the same thing here about the bigger picture.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This year we saw a Haitian team beat an MLS team and a Honduran team get by a Mexican team.

I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss the CPL squads as you are trying to do.

Besides we still don't know how the new format will be seeded. And with so many teams now a CPL squad could get a favorable draw.

But I guess you can never pass an opportunity to take pot shots at the CPL

Edited by narduch

One thing I find funny is that on social media I see fans from Caribbean and Central American nations complain that Canada doesn't deserve 2 spots.

Technically they are correct.

It's really a shame that they kiboshed the Concacaf League

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

It is.  Considering that, in their short tenure there, the CPL teams made it somewhere into the middle of the tournament, it seemed to be at just the right level.  Plus it was a lot of fun.

Much more useful than just hoping for a favourable draw or an big upset in the CCL. 

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

One thing I find funny is that on social media I see fans from Caribbean and Central American nations complain that Canada doesn't deserve 2 spots.

Technically they are correct.

Wait until they find out we got 3 (at a minimum).

Agreed on the Concacaf League. Thought a tournament aimed at the smaller leagues was always interesting. Similar to the New Conference League in Europe. 

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The Central American nations might have a legitimate argument there, but not the Caribbean ones. They have been poor in CONCACAF competitions.

In the 4 years that CPL sent a team to the CONCACAF League the only nations to outperform our spot was Costa Rica (CRC3), Honduras (HON1 and HON2), and Guatemala (GUA3). The other 17 spots in CONCACAF League were all outperformed by Canada's lone spot.

Central America is getting a bad deal. 6 spots in the new format for Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Belize combined, while MLS+Liga MX get 14, plus US Open Cup and Voyageurs Cup are likely to be won by MLS teams more often than not.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:09 PM, Big_M said:

Hopefully doesnt end up like Pepple who got sent back early from his d4 loan and then stuck in a tough situation

Vancouver FC announce signing of youngest player in CPL history Taryck Tahid

Pepple and Attardo left too early. 

I understand kids get stars in their eyes when they hear the word Europe, but sometimes they leave before they're ready.

26 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Pepple and Attardo left too early. 

I understand kids get stars in their eyes when they hear the word Europe, but sometimes they leave before they're ready.

Pepple did extremely well to play half a season in the Getafe academy, u-19. Since they couldn't re-sign him because of age he needed to find a solution where he'd get minutes. Instead he stupidly wasted an entire year unattached and then looked for the reset.

He should have found a 4-5th tier team where he'd learn, he was still raw. And not in England, which wasn't the development option that was working for him.

I was at my parents' and in the rare circumstance of holding a physical copy of the Winnipeg Free Press. On the page with all the baseball box scores, they also had the CPL table, though all teams were listed by city name instead of proper name. Has anyone noticed this elsewhere?

41 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I was at my parents' and in the rare circumstance of holding a physical copy of the Winnipeg Free Press. On the page with all the baseball box scores, they also had the CPL table, though all teams were listed by city name instead of proper name. Has anyone noticed this elsewhere?

It's been commented in previous seasons. For different media in fact. 

I wonder if those tables come from agency feeds.

The Valour press department should do some work since there aren't so many media outlets in Winnipeg.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:31 PM, jonovision said:

Noticed the same in Vancouver papers.

Concacaf launches new ranking system for region’s clubs and leagues

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-launches-new-ranking-system-for-region-s-clubs-and-leagues/

How does the new Concacaf club ranking system work

As a starting point for the new ranking, the region’s men’s clubs have been ranked based on their results since 2017 in the following official international and domestic club competitions:
  • Concacaf Champions League
  • Concacaf Regional Cups (Leagues Cup, Central American Cup, and Caribbean Cup)*
  • Domestic first division professional league
  • Member Association Cups (which qualify for Concacaf competitions)
  • FIFA Club World Cup
Performances in these competitions this season (2023), and going forward in the coming years, will continue to be used to determine the new club ranking.

*CPL not being part of a regional competition starts with a disadvantage

CONCACAF League ranking

https://www.concacaf.com/en/rankings/league/

CPL is #6
image.png.70de1c0cd0994ae29db95dc7fa47dc1c.png

CONCACAF Club ranking

https://www.concacaf.com/en/rankings/club/

CF Montreal is the best Canadian club at #15

Top 15
image.png.41783f52ccd42dcb5e1feec3ade2da60.png

Vancouver is next at #40

TFC at #41