Zorhan Bassong

jordan

On 6/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, InglewoodJack said:

This does not put him near NT contention- remember that this is a player who couldn’t crack Montreal’s roster, hence why he’s in Romania. I don’t know that he’s at a much higher level than Richie Ennin right now for example. Romania seems like it’s in the same tier as countries like Hungary and to a lesser extent Greece who have a rich soccer tradition but aren’t exactly at their peak right now. It’s a good move though, I remember when Ongaro was in Romania there was talk of how difficult it is for foreigners to stick in that league and many get randomly dropped never to be heard from again, so moving up to a bigger team is a good sign.

Cool that they’re playing Sheriff though. Such a strange team. They’ve won 21 Moldovan league titles since 2000, yet they play in Transnistria, an unrecognized breakaway state that has never to my knowledge been controlled by Moldova and is best known for having done a pretty good job at preserving the last remnants of the Soviet Union. Their league is ranked 33rd in the world, just above Kosovo and Lichtenstein, yet two years ago they beat Madrid at Bernabeu. They’ve also played 90 champions league games which must put them towards the top of the list in terms of appearances.

Even though nowhere near the relative level of 2005-2013 days, the Romanian league is overall stronger than the Hungarian top-flight (although not a massive difference either), but definitely weaker than the Greek Super League

A lot of foreigners have done pretty well in Romania and spent years there or transferred on up to better leagues, it really depends on the context of the team and manager too. and of course, first impression / how you adapt

Teams like CFR Cluj, Rapid, Craiova count a lot on foreigners from Ghana, France, Croatia, Belgium, Portugal, Brazil

not as many from North America, but normal that they’re paying attention to CPL as potential bargains from the relatively new league

What I heard and saw of Ongaro, though, he didn’t adapt very well to the rhythm there. UTA was also in a precarious situation fighting relegation and had a change in management which is always tough on new arrivals

Maybe it would’ve been better to start for a Liga 2 side fighting for promotion and go from there

Hope to see more CPL products in Romania / Europe in general in the next few years, hopefully the preparation will be better than Ongaro had

Edited by Filip

• 3 weeks later...

Horrible second leg.. conceded twice in extra time to destroy that first leg lead

Beyond the players' performance, Hagi decided to play it defensively and showed his tactical limits.. 

Really poor decisions and lack of experience as they drop to Conference league qualifiers now, CFR Cluj or FCSB would’ve fared better here.. shame

and no clue why Bassong wasn’t even on the bench.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Got his second yellow tonight on this weirdo play

Well, if I'm refereeing that game, I'm giving the player in light blue a yellow for interfering with the throw-in and a second one for chest bump. The guy in red/blue is getting a straight red for serious foul play, for throwing the ball in the other guy's face.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Well, if I'm refereeing that game, I'm giving the player in light blue a yellow for interfering with the throw-in and a second one for chest bump. The guy in red/blue is getting a straight red for serious foul play, for throwing the ball in the other guy's face.

I have a yellow for interfering with throw in and straight red for chest bump(no way that is only a yellow) which is serious foul play. 

Guy throwing in is a yellow.

think ref got it right

Edited by king1010

We shouldn't have topics with players like him anymore. They should all be in "out of the national team picture" topic.

We used to have high hopes for anyone. 

Is he in the top 10 of fullbacks we could call up?

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not violent conduct?

25 minutes ago, P-O said:

We shouldn't have topics with players like him anymore. They should all be in "out of the national team picture" topic.

We used to have high hopes for anyone. 

Is he in the top 10 of fullbacks we could call up?

Not right now, but who knows down the road? He's in MLS now, just trying to have a career, at 25 years old, but who's to say he doesn't figure it out in a season or two and become invaluable to his club? I agree he is not anywhere close to the NT, but I am fine tracking him...

For me it's the young guys, teenagers who you never heard of, who have garnered some excitement just because they signed an MLS next pro contract somewhere, but then they end up in CPL or League 1 (or worse) at the age of 22 years old.

Those are the guys I would move elsewhere, if we are trying to declutter this section of the forum.

Even then, I find their threads come and go, so no action required.

The fact Bassong thread keeps getting bumped means it's a worthwhile thread, I would argue.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not right now, but who knows down the road? He's in MLS now, just trying to have a career, at 25 years old, but who's to say he doesn't figure it out in a season or two and become invaluable to his club? I agree he is not anywhere close to the NT, but I am fine tracking him...

For me it's the young guys, teenagers who you never heard of, who have garnered some excitement just because they signed an MLS next pro contract somewhere, but then they end up in CPL or League 1 (or worse) at the age of 22 years old.

Those are the guys I would move elsewhere, if we are trying to declutter this section of the forum.

Even then, I find their threads come and go, so no action required.

The fact Bassong thread keeps getting bumped means it's a worthwhile thread, I would argue.

Compare to other forums I use/have used, the search feature on this one is quite useful. 

I am saying that finding any guy you want to post about is not hard.

And Shaffelburg is/was younger but he was basically where Bassong is, two years ago. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

If he's good enough for our Camp Poutine team... which I believe he probably is.

He's not far off Raheem Edward's appearances and minutes this season.  Edwards - 15 games and 860 minutes.  Bassong - 14 games and 715 minutes. 

Bassong played 16 minutes in the season opener and then was glued to the bench for 10 straight games.  So 699 of those 715 minutes have come in the team's last 16 games in which he has featured in all of them.  I just hope this red card incident doesn't have him glued back to the bench as he was starting to see regular minutes.  Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the season and if we have a Camp Poutine, we can analyze then if he's deserving.  He's nowhere near our first team currently.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

If he's good enough for our Camp Poutine team... which I believe he probably is.

He's not far off Raheem Edward's appearances and minutes this season.  Edwards - 15 games and 860 minutes.  Bassong - 14 games and 715 minutes. 

Bassong played 16 minutes in the season opener and then was glued to the bench for 10 straight games.  So 699 of those 715 minutes have come in the team's last 16 games in which he has featured in all of them.  I just hope this red card incident doesn't have him glued back to the bench as he was starting to see regular minutes.  Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the season and if we have a Camp Poutine, we can analyze then if he's deserving.  He's nowhere near our first team currently.

No disrespect to Bassong, I think any Canadian playing regularly at this level is worth keeping an eye on, but Edwards is arguably Montreal’s best player. He’s not a fun call up, but there aren’t many players I’d want to give an emergency call over him if say, we needed to bring in an extra player for our next few games.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No disrespect to Bassong, I think any Canadian playing regularly at this level is worth keeping an eye on, but Edwards is arguably Montreal’s best player. He’s not a fun call up, but there aren’t many players I’d want to give an emergency call over him if say, we needed to bring in an extra player for our next few games.

Are we super deep at full back, it felt like we were okay and then Adekugbe is out and Laryea was a worry and we were plugging in centre backs (and keeping Davies there). 

17 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Are we super deep at full back, it felt like we were okay and then Adekugbe is out and Laryea was a worry and we were plugging in centre backs (and keeping Davies there). 

agreed
1. Davies

2. adekugbe

3. laryea

4. hiebert

5. edwards

6. Abzi 

7. Petrasso

8….?  

we don’t really have 10 left backs playing at a high enough level…. Of course an mls guy is in the top 10. 

21 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

agreed
1. Davies

2. adekugbe

3. laryea

4. hiebert

5. edwards

6. Abzi 

7. Petrasso

8….?  

we don’t really have 10 left backs playing at a high enough level…. Of course an mls guy is in the top 10. 

This, but I have Edwards over Hiebert (though understand calling KH in because of the positional flexibility). I think Bassong is probably above Petrasso who is playing Série C I think? 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

This, but I have Edwards over Hiebert (though understand calling KH in because of the positional flexibility). I think Bassong is probably above Petrasso who is playing Série C I think? 

I’m with you on that.  Rather shocked that Heiberts in the squad. I do not rate him enough to ever play him in copa