CPL new teams speculation

2 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

I think the issue is securing prime tenancy and priority for all CPL + dates.

This same issue can be applied to any venue that hosts USports teams. Once gridiron season starts in September a lot of those teams take priority at venues. It's possible Noonan was laying blame on stiched-on lines as an implication of this.

^^^the same primacy of tenancy issue is presumably also applicable with the three CFL stadia. They inherently already have to work around another sport's schedule so why would that suddenly be a problem with Claude Robillard? Don't think it's any more complicated than what Mark Noonan had to say:

GYcXORAacAASLrQ.png.1440bca22f4e5a967bb0

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I thought that stadium looked not terrible. It looked a little Soviet era in its appearance but with a good crowd I guess anything it passable. My question would be be how much money and what was being done to bring it up to par. You couldn't just plunk a team in there but if you had a plan to spend a couple million to do this and that I think it could work

But the question always comes back.. why would someone spend a cent on a facility if they don't own it?

Edited by SpursFlu

Something to ponder is whether the sight lines at Claude Robillard would be significantly worse than what Hertha Berlin fans put up with:

Olympiastadion Berlin

in a stadium that's a lot older given it was used in an Olympic Games 40 years earlier than Montreal's turn at hosting that.

12 hours ago, Kingston said:

Well the number of new places that want to showcase the game at his standard currently appears to be zero. 

Looks like they are all in on the notion that there's going to be a huge surge in interest post-2026. If you buy into that idea, why give one of your expansion franchises away cheaply to a League One club for a 2025 or 2026 launch when it could be sold for a lot more later and why use an existing stadium if municipalities will be falling over themselves to buy modular stadia from SixFive Sports at that point? 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought that stadium looked not terrible. It looked a little Soviet era in its appearance but with a good crowd I guess anything it passable. My question would be be how much money and what was being done to bring it up to par. You couldn't just plunk a team in there but if you had a plan to spend a couple million to do this and that I think it could work

But the question always comes back.. why would someone spend a cent on a facility if they don't own it?

It wasn't a great look when the fans were still filing into the stadium for the first 30 minutes. Not sure if that was people actually showing up late or if they don't have the number of gates needed to let people in quick enough (or if they didn't have the staff necessary to do it quicker). And seeing the late arrivers walking along the track right next to the field to find their seats.

But as others have said, I don't think it's worse than York Lions stadium, where you see cars driving by one end, and just a forest on another side.

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

It wasn't a great look when the fans were still filing into the stadium for the first 30 minutes. Not sure if that was people actually showing up late or if they don't have the number of gates needed to let people in quick enough (or if they didn't have the staff necessary to do it quicker). And seeing the late arrivers walking along the track right next to the field to find their seats.

But as others have said, I don't think it's worse than York Lions stadium, where you see cars driving by one end, and just a forest on another side.

York Stadium at least looks modern and clean. If you packed York I don't think it would be terrible. If big if, that ever happened, im kinda interested to see how that would go. Claude Stadium had an apple bowl feel in that it felt pretty decrepit and the whole thing thrown together. It could work if they or the city or whoever was willing to put a couple million in to it

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If you packed York I don't think it would be terrible.

Packing the grandstand doesn't really fix the fact that there is only one stand. Adding a separate supporters stand to break up the vast space did not work out at either the north or south ends. I'm not convinced crowds will ever be substantial enough to ever warrant adding additional permanent stands, if York University would even entertain the option. 

19 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Packing the grandstand doesn't really fix the fact that there is only one stand. Adding a separate supporters stand to break up the vast space did not work out at either the north or south ends. I'm not convinced crowds will ever be substantial enough to ever warrant adding additional permanent stands, if York University would even entertain the option. 

I definitely don't think it's great. I'm just saying 4000 people there would be interesting to see

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I definitely don't think it's great. I'm just saying 4000 people there would be interesting to see

I've finally done it. I counted up all the seats shown on ticketmaster to see if the capacity really is still 4000ish. I saw someone question it recently and it sounded compelling. Including the 320 seats on the shipping container side that DeRo used to watch games from (maybe he still does?), the capacity seems to be 3412 at York Lions stadium. So the main stand is 3092.

100 section - 195
200 section - 400
300 section - 400
400 section - 400
500 section - 364
600 section - 361
700 section - 364
800 section - 348
900 section - 260
Opposite side - 320

Do they ever sell tickets in sections 100 and 900? Usually seem to be blank on ticketmaster and I doubt it's because they are consistently sold out. Given how sparse the shipping container side tends to be I always start from the numbers they are announcing right now implying that the main block of seats should be around half full and gauging whether the crowd shots are actually consistent with that.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do they ever sell tickets in sections 100 and 900? Usually seem to be blank on ticketmaster and I doubt it's because they are consistently sold out. Given how sparse the shipping container side tends to be I always start from the numbers they are announcing right now implying that the main block of seats should be around half full and gauging whether the crowd shots are actually consistent with that.

@Kent did a heroic job of seat counting one by one in the previous post and you totally ignore him, it's the summum of ungrateful for a guy whose keenest and most meaningful pastime is seat counting.

^^^have this guy on ignore for a reason. His MO is to go from thread to thread picking fights for no good reason because he seems to need to use this board to vent his spleen from time to time.

Just so he doesn't derail this thread, it's highly likely I was the poster who questioned the 4000 capacity because I have often referred to the main block of seats at York Lions having a capacity of around 3000 seats in the attendance threads. It's hardly heroic to estimate how many seats are in the active sections in a stadium because if you click on the seat in the appropriate corner you can find out how many rows there are and how many seats are in each row. At that point all you have to do is multiply.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do they ever sell tickets in sections 100 and 900?

Visitor supporters in section 100, and home supporters in 900 (this season, since they no longer have the bleachers behind the south end net). Those sections aren't sold out, but not empty either.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

if you click on the seat in the appropriate corner you can find out how many rows there are and how many seats are in each row. At that point all you have to do is multiply.

Shhh! You are giving away my trade secret! :D

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Pretty sure the Supporters section is 800. 900 is basically behind the endline

I think they don't sell 900. But some people just sit there anyways

If I remember correctly when I have gone this year I bought my tickets in section 800, and the supporters are in the adjacent section. Ticketmaster labels it the supporters section as well.

image.png.62da9e0a7324a8bf6a37099d1415f1a2.png