CPL new teams speculation

27 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Because then they could use busses for travel?  :)

Lol nice. Not so much in the west. But I think there are various reasons. We need more spots for players. 8 teams just doesn't serve enough players. We need more Canadians to be engaged with this league. Since our TV screens aren't helping we need to take the product to them. It also helps to have teams close to each other for fan engagement. Just say you added Kelowna, Edmonton, Saskatchewan. Imagine what that does for Kelowna. You would have away engagement for basically every single game. Just generally speaking the league can't stay stagnant at this point 

Edited by SpursFlu

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Lol nice. Not so much in the west. But I think there are various reasons. We need more spots for players. 8 teams just doesn't serve enough players. We need more Canadians to be engaged with this league. Since our TV screens aren't helping we need to take the product to them. It also helps to have teams close to each other for fan engagement. Just say you added Kelowna, Edmonton, Saskatchewan. Imagine what that does for Kelowna. You would have away engagement for basically every single game. Just generally speaking the league can't stay stagnant at this point 

I think we’d all like to see expansion. 

Personally I’m not convinced Kelowna is big enough despite the great crowd for the one-time game.  I’m worried they’d become a second Victoria - draw really well for their size but not enough to be self-supporting financially. 

To get to twelve I think we’d be better adding Edmonton, Quebec, London, and KW.  

Personally I am more worried about contraction than expansion.  Bringing in 2 more teams just to have them stumble out of the gate would be a disaster.  We already have a WPG ownership that is disinterested in the team, York has had nothing but problems and even Halifax has problems and cant seem to find a permanent home for a well supported team.  We need good owners and a real viable stadium for the next two teams to have a chance.    No sense throwing shit at the wall and hoping a team or two will stick around eh??  All other things being equal, the next team should be in Quebec.  Too much talent out there not to have a CPL team using that PLSQ as a pipeline for talent like Forge/Sigma or Calgary/foothills relationship.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Personally I am more worried about contraction than expansion.  Bringing in 2 more teams just to have them stumble out of the gate would be a disaster.  We already have a WPG ownership that is disinterested in the team, York has had nothing but problems and even Halifax has problems and cant seem to find a permanent home for a well supported team.  We need good owners and a real viable stadium for the next two teams to have a chance.    No sense throwing shit at the wall and hoping a team or two will stick around eh??  All other things being equal, the next team should be in Quebec.  Too much talent out there not to have a CPL team using that PLSQ as a pipeline for talent like Forge/Sigma or Calgary/foothills relationship.  

What is stumble out the gate? Did York United stumble out the gate? I guess but so what.. here we are 6 years later

Isn't the objective to have 5000 at each game? I guess Cavalry stumbled out the gate. I guess 80 years later Bordeaux stumbled out the gate

It's soccer in Canada. It's a ping pong game on a moving train at this point. It can't be stopped really

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did something happen to the new stadium plans? I thought that was a for sure thing..

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Did something happen to the new stadium plans? I thought that was a for sure thing..

On 6/23/2024 at 11:17 PM, Big_M said:

Kind of a setback for HFX: they were hoping for approval for the permanent stadium in early 2024 and get it built for 2025 but now the answer about the permanent stadium will come end of 2024 so they cannot have it ready for 2025

The contract for Wanderers ground as a temporary stadium is ending this year

Martin is hoping for a bridge year in 2025 where they would again play with the temporary set up there and then get the permanent stadium for 2026

Hopefully Martin has Plans B and C for the two cases which are where to play in 2025 and a permanent solution for 2026

Heres what he had to say about the permanent stadium proposal

So, at this point in the process, how confident is he that this will get over the line?

“I’m really encouraged by where we’re at and where things are going. I’m encouraged that we’re going to get where we want to get to”

It sounds like there’s a ‘but’ coming, I say.

“But things are still moving slowly,” he replies, smiling. “As with most things in politics.”

https://onesoccer.ca/a/big-read-an-inside-look-at-the-journey-to-build-a-permanent-stadium-in-halifax-os-creator-spotlight-canadian-premier-league-hfx-wanderers-fc

On 8/1/2024 at 7:26 PM, shermanator said:

There have been rumours around Calgary for years that Spruce Meadows are interested in a club in Kelowna. Long way between being interested and actually making it happen though...

Well, there is a lot of runway for take off for a new franchise in Kelowna.  Maybe they are the potential ownership in play here.

I guess stumble is relative, but they must have learned something about the roll outs of the other teams by now.  I dont mind if we wait until its a situation that has a good chance of success, we already have enough teams built on shaky ground.  

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

That sounds so much like Bunbury😄

An account with a native American profile picture, a Brazilian name, likely born in 89, and primarily posting about South American soccer, actually being a 60 year old Carribean man that represented Canada would be quite impressive.

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

An account with a native American profile picture, a Brazilian name, likely born in 89, and primarily posting about South American soccer, actually being a 60 year old Carribean man that represented Canada would be quite impressive.

"Should have news soon" was the part that sounded like Bunbury, Lord knows he said that a few times, first time like 5 years ago.🙃

18 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Well, a lot of people like to disguise their identities on line.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to know what people in Edmonton think about the Elks private ownership. Reading up I see the city just pumped 2 million into Commonwealth. Seems like the city needs that venue to work in the meantime. I know people hate CFL venues but that's plug and play

14 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

My dream scenario would be for Phonzie to find some other investors and get a franchise in Edmonton, affiliated with the B2B academy (much like Cavalry was grown out of Foothills to a large extent).

I would like Phonzie to focus on his career and improving as a player, not start dabbling in a money losing venture.

I think that new owner should get Phonzie in as an owner for next to nothing but for the profile. Tweet about the team, post about the team, show up once in a while a mingle with the folks as he likes to do. Let his business partner guy do everything else. Then the owner can come to the city and everyone else he deals with, with a lot more leverage with 30 dates rather than 9 dates. That's what I would do if I was this owner guy

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Looks like AI

Yeah, definitely. When I first looked at it I considered that, but I was on my phone with less than ideal lighting. The logo with the jibberish on it is a giveaway that this is AI made.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I would like Phonzie to focus on his career and improving as a player, not start dabbling in a money losing venture.

What an odd take. His career is going fine ffs. And I did say getting other investors involved. This league is going to be profitable at some point and he has a great relationship with the city and the B2B people.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm interested to know what people in Edmonton think about the Elks private ownership. Reading up I see the city just pumped 2 million into Commonwealth. Seems like the city needs that venue to work in the meantime. I know people hate CFL venues but that's plug and play

its plug and play and it might look more interesting in some aspects than a stadium with porta potties and no running water but it seems that theres residual damage after fc edmonton came and left twice in less than 15 years...if you want a cpl team there you have start building community support around it asap because you dont want 1000 people at games whether the owner has deep pockets or not

2 hours ago, Ed_S said:

What an odd take. His career is going fine ffs. And I did say getting other investors involved. This league is going to be profitable at some point and he has a great relationship with the city and the B2B people.

I do not think at all that you can guarantee the league will be profitable (few are) and we've additionally had proof of a team struggling and incurring massive debt in that very city. His career is fine, but could be better. And far too many players have had off-field distractions from struggling business ventures that impacted their on field performance.