Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

How did Aramburo make this? shaff dominated him all night. All he did was take brutal foils that should have resulted in yellows much sooner. The entire night I was thinking. If this guy can play for a pretty good La Liga team, where should Shaff be playing...

Aramburo has the 2nd highest FOTMOB score of any player in Copa, a 0.01 behind James Rodriguez, and a whole 0.50 over the third place guy. He was also the app’s MOTM in our game by a pretty wide margin. Obviously these numbers mean absolutely nothing in the real world, but he’s played quite well and I think looking at numbers on an app is probably enough to even out a roster for a TOTW list. 

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do folks watch the kind of player making up squads in lower top tiers of a high calibre? Some are premium, others are just okay, solid, consistent. I think the fact of getting to semis reinforces the idea that these guys can compete at a high level, over and above the technical analysis you'd put in a scouting report. That reads upside. And you combine that with what must be relatively low transfer prices and salary expectations. I just mentioned 5 guys who are making half a million euros a year or less, from what I can guess.

Yes, but what do the passports of these players look like? A player like Shaffelburg is going to get passed over for players who don’t take up that international spot. 

I do think the salary part complicates this though. You have to think that Shaffelburg’s next MLS deal would probably be upwards of $750,000 or so. I think Choiniere was looking for $500-600 or something, and Shaffelburg has done more, and also sells a lot more jerseys. I don’t know what too second tier salaries look like, but I think he would have to go to a top flight in Europe to get those wages. 

16 hours ago, shorty said:

Aramburu looks too much like Tucker Carlson.  I was having a hard time not seeing that on Friday during the broadcast...

Really? Kind of looks more like Alexander Ovechkin to me.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Shaff's dribbling ability is nowhere near Robben's....

Of course not.  No one is comparing the level.  Did you also think we were really comparing him to Messi with the Maritime Messi spiel?

Just worth noting the similarities.  Both are very quick, very tricky, very predictable yet very hard to stop.

I always have a hard time not getting carried away when Robben comes up!  The guy was just a freakin legend.  It was like the guy was playing chess and would give the opponent his exact playbook, move for move, explain the positioning of the checkmate and still pull it off like 200 times.  It was like a mix of hypnotism and magic.  I can't imagine how many nightmares defenders had cause of this guy.  A coach makes you watch hours of tape showing the same move over and over, you go in thinking you know exactly what to do and how to do it just to fall for it like all the others.

Edited by costarg

10 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

How did Aramburo make this? shaff dominated him all night. All he did was take brutal foils that should have resulted in yellows much sooner. The entire night I was thinking. If this guy can play for a pretty good La Liga team, where should Shaff be playing...

I dunno, he also caught my eye.  Shaffini was great, but he did get closed down quite a bit on the final move by Aramburo.  In almost all cases it was with a rough, very borderline tackle, Davies would've had a hard time with Shaffini that night as well.  Considering Shaff only came out of all those attacks with one goal, I guess one can say Aramburo limited the damage as well as possible.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Of course not.  No one is comparing the level.  Did you also think we were really comparing him to Messi with the Maritime Messi spiel?

Just worth noting the similarities.  Both are very quick, very tricky, very predictable yet very hard to stop.

Right but I don't think Shaffleburg's style looks like Robben at all though. If I had to compare his attributes/style to a top player it would be Bale. 

48 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right but I don't think Shaffleburg's style looks like Robben at all though. If I had to compare his attributes/style to a top player it would be Bale. 

I think Shaffelburg is tougher but even before Bale left England he had long shot technique I have not seen from Shaft.

Believe me I witnessed it first hand and personal. 

(No I haven't retreated to the corner of my office to have a little cry, why do you ask?)

Posted (edited)

Though I have been skeptical of his overall game, I really like his directness in taking guys on dribbling and driving forward to press or go for goal (where he was rewarded vs Venezuela).  I like that willingness in Ahmed to take guys on, as well, driving into the penalty area.  I find that far more refreshing (and, in fact, more often rewarding) than a player getting in a 1 v 1  on the wing in the attacking third and either recycling possession or, on his weaker side, simply cutting back to his stronger peg and playing in a longer inswinging cross as their usual default play. (However, I also like smart, inverted wingers because they can bring utilize the attacking support of the fullback on their side).

I hope he keeps it going in this massive upcoming match!

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I think the players also agree- there’s a video where someone (kamal Miller?) calls him Maritime Gareth Bale. 

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

He's EVERYWHERE! 

This is an amazing achievement for Shaf. I know we talk about how good he's been of the Canadian players, but to make the tourney starting XI (even if it's just ESPN's) is next level when you have teams like Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, etc., in the mix. Truly remarkable. This guy has to be getting a big move somewhere. Such a great story. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Is it a bit surprising at this point we've not heard anything in the way of rumours?

Maybe it'll take some time as those more unfamiliar with his play at club level continue to scout him after this tournament. He is certainly a unique player and I could see how that may lead to trepidation and difficulty projecting.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

He probably still needs to produce at the club level too in order to get a move.

Hopefully with Nashville's new manager he can show his potential 

It's interesting that he hasn't established himself as a regular starter for his club. Perhaps his performances at Copa will change that.  But given his skillet it may be best for him to remain in MLS where the game better suits his style,  start every game and round out other parts for a wide mid.

Win, lose or draw if he has a good match tonight he can write his own ticket.  Maybe not next window but soon enough.  I'd be very much surprised if he's on the sort of wages at Nashville that'll keep his ears shut to offers from abroad.  And there will be offers.  From the UK and the continent.  (Hell, there should be offers from other MLS clubs but we all know MLS doesn't work that way).    

Edited by Cheeta

21 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Win, lose or draw if he has a good match tonight he can write his own ticket.  Maybe not next window but soon enough.  I'd be very much surprised if he's on the sort of wages at Nashville that'll keep his ears shut to offers from abroad.  And there will be offers.  From the UK and the continent.  (Hell, there should be offers from other MLS clubs but we all know MLS doesn't work that way).    

I think I saw he is just under 400,000 US at Nashville. So that precludes signing for a league or team that could pay him 500,00 euros, it is a bit short. Unless he really wants to make a move. 

I see he is married and perhaps has a kid, was not sure. It is important for close family to encourage you to make the most of your career, since being an elite athlete is not something to sleep on.

^ 400K would be a bit higher than I'd have guessed but pretty close.  Have it in my head the median average in the Championship topped 500K GBP a couple of seasons a go.  That's net tax.  

Jacob has to be looking down the lockers towards Kone and Johnston.  They didn't quit MLS to make less money or because he league was buying their love.  Hell, even Richie.  As arse as his time was at Nottingham it was the best financial decision he ever made in the game. 

Starting to get nervy.

Edited by Cheeta

he has a kid on the way...and at close to 25 he doesnt have 5 years to go to europe and establish himself and go through the ups and downs and work his way up like a 18-20 year old...otherwise he risks losing his best years on a bench...this type of player probably prefers a big contract in mls once his current one ends in 2026 at 27 or with the 2027 option at 28

I don’t know what the MLS merchandise rev share model is for players, but Shaffelburg was the 13th highest selling jersey in MLS, and that was *before* all of this Copa stuff which will assuredly raise his profile in Nashville a lot higher. NSC has massive and growing local support. If he doesn’t move, you’re looking at a guy who’s could have a top 10 jersey in North America for the next couple years, probably get a really good next contract and raise his family in Nashville which is a great city. 

Hope he moves for the sake of our NT, but he’s in one of the best possible situations in MLS if he makes a career out of it. 

Money: I don't think Johnston and Kone are making much more than half a million euros, I think Kone might be less but not sure. They need the next move, and the one after that, to move up. 

Kids: when they are young it is the easiest time to move them. The wife has to be strong about it, but the kids when babies and toddlers travel well. 

Money again: not taking full advantage of your potential in a 12-15 year career is foolish and, I think, goes against the principles of ambition that got these guys where they are in the first place.