Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

4 hours ago, costarg said:

Ok then, the Canadian Robben then.  I think I like this one better.

From my memory, robben grew up with a gypsy type lifestyle. He basically learned how to play street soccer. This resulted in his amazing dribbling and a bit one dimensional play (obviously he was fantastic in many ways but he was the elite of the elite).  

seems similar to what. Grows up in a non soccer province and learns how to dribble, be aggressive but is also a bit one dimensional.  

5 hours ago, Bigandy said:

From my memory, robben grew up with a gypsy type lifestyle. He basically learned how to play street soccer. This resulted in his amazing dribbling and a bit one dimensional play (obviously he was fantastic in many ways but he was the elite of the elite).  

seems similar to what. Grows up in a non soccer province and learns how to dribble, be aggressive but is also a bit one dimensional.  

I also felt Shaff was lacking a more complete profile, he was lazy and uncommitted defending, he just ran a wing and crossed in, if he had a shot he took it from his channel.

Then last night he showed little details to suggest he was more complete. He was finding himself on the right side of the attack coming from the left, like for the goal. Which was an important step forward, since many wingers just keep to the far post when the play's on the other side. He saw David was out wide, Larin was not there, so he went for the near post. Then on the shot at the top of the box, he was again not playing wing but filling a gap in the attacking middle. Little details showing he could be more versatile. 

I still think he does not understand positional defending and what it means to support his fullback. Which is why I have doubts about starting him vs. Argentina. The issue will be whether Jesse can convince him and if he's responsive to the coaching. 

I personally would focus on how Argentina line up. If they start De Maria, then they have wider play, if not, you may be able to free up a winger to not be so committed to outside defending. Last night there was a nice detail where Laryea was pinching in more to support the mids. Whoever plays, we need to be responsive to the dangers of Argentina. So the pieces that could change (Oso-Kone; Shaff-Laryea-Millar), have to be in function of what the rival is going to do.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also felt Shaff was lacking a more complete profile, he was lazy and uncommitted defending, he just ran a wing and crossed in, if he had a shot he took it from his channel.

Then last night he showed little details to suggest he was more complete. He was finding himself on the right side of the attack coming from the left, like for the goal. Which was an important step forward, since many wingers just keep to the far post when the play's on the other side. He saw David was out wide, Larin was not there, so he went for the near post. Then on the shot at the top of the box, he was again not playing wing but filling a gap in the attacking middle. Little details showing he could be more versatile. 

I still think he does not understand positional defending and what it means to support his fullback. Which is why I have doubts about starting him vs. Argentina. The issue will be whether Jesse can convince him and if he's responsive to the coaching. 

I personally would focus on how Argentina line up. If they start De Maria, then they have wider play, if not, you may be able to free up a winger to not be so committed to outside defending. Last night there was a nice detail where Laryea was pinching in more to support the mids. Whoever plays, we need to be responsive to the dangers of Argentina. So the pieces that could change (Oso-Kone; Shaff-Laryea-Millar), have to be in function of what the rival is going to do.

I'm willing to bet that Marsch told Shaffelburg to cut in when we attack. 

Just my guess

Posted (edited)

Shaff's strengths to me are his speed and his crossing/shooting. Looking at his play in MLS and the NT a lot of his crosses/passes from the wing into the center are pretty accurate and consistent and lead to good chances. Probably better than anyone other than maybe Tajon. Some of David's best chances in these past few games have been from a Shaffleburg ball from the wing. Also his shooting seems pretty good as well, he had a nice shot the other night from an awkward position that was heading into the lower corner but was saved. 

The goal he scored though did show something more in the sense of attacking positional awareness.

Edited by mpg_29

Technique-wise, Shaffelburg should be a candidate to take penalties.  Maybe not in the first five but he has both placement and power.  It just depends whether Marsch feels he has the right composure. In the interview, he said that Kone was like ice when taking practice kicks.  

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Shaff's strengths to me are his speed and his crossing/shooting. Looking at his play in MLS and the NT a lot of his crosses/passes from the wing into the center are pretty accurate and consistent and lead to good chances. Probably better than anyone other than maybe Tajon. Some of David's best chances in these past few games have been from a Shaffleburg ball from the wing. Also his shooting seems pretty good as well, he had a nice shot the other night from an awkward position that was heading into the lower corner but was saved. 

The goal he scored though did show something more in the sense of attacking positional awareness.

Definitely hope he plays against Argentina on Tuesday 

That rumour to Sporting Gijón will die out as I'm sure Nashville will get better offers and Sporting can't improve the salary significantly. The summer transfer window lasts another 7 weeks, there's lots of time.

The optics on Canada being the only outsider alive in two major tournaments are very good. Mostly because we appear as a valuable team that has many undervalued players.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Feel like a championship club or two may come calling. They love Liam Millar, and obviously you can make comps as to how they play. I also think Shaff is this tournament’s version of WCQ Laryea, where the world kinda went “oh damn, this MLS guy can actually play, we should sign him” 

Straight up pace is always an asset anywhere but there more than some leagues.  Has some experience with the physical side of the game, if nothing from this summer. 

But I ask you, does a blistering afternoon in Kansas City translate well to a cold rainy night in Stoke? 😉

58 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Feel like a championship club or two may come calling. They love Liam Millar, and obviously you can make comps as to how they play. I also think Shaff is this tournament’s version of WCQ Laryea, where the world kinda went “oh damn, this MLS guy can actually play, we should sign him” 

I'm pretty sure at this point a lower team in a top 4 league is perfectly reasonable. Same for Millar. Same for Bombito. Even Cornelius. And Crepeau.

Do folks watch the kind of player making up squads in lower top tiers of a high calibre? Some are premium, others are just okay, solid, consistent. I think the fact of getting to semis reinforces the idea that these guys can compete at a high level, over and above the technical analysis you'd put in a scouting report. That reads upside. And you combine that with what must be relatively low transfer prices and salary expectations. I just mentioned 5 guys who are making half a million euros a year or less, from what I can guess.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm pretty sure at this point a lower team in a top 4 league is perfectly reasonable. Same for Millar. Same for Bombito. Even Cornelius. And Crepeau.

Do folks watch the kind of player making up squads in lower top tiers of a high calibre? Some are premium, others are just okay, solid, consistent. I think the fact of getting to semis reinforces the idea that these guys can compete at a high level, over and above the technical analysis you'd put in a scouting report. That reads upside. And you combine that with what must be relatively low transfer prices and salary expectations. I just mentioned 5 guys who are making half a million euros a year or less, from what I can guess.

With the scouting (even third party) available these days teams in top 4 leagues will not take a punt based on a tournament alone.   Many have been burned in the past. 

Not to run people down but realistically:

Shaffelburg was not a 100% starter or production machine in MLS. A top 4 league is probably a bridge too far for a 24 year old ie. not a youth project.

Bombito - France is not a top 4 league and I could see him going there.  Again actual top 4 league - not sure without a further body of work.

Cornelius - The most regular and consistent recent resume in Europe of these players.  Is Sweden high enough a level for teams to take that jump - hopefully.

Crepeau was part of the one worst defences in MLS pre tournament including personal errors.  Maybe teams do an Ochoa - another slightly undersized keeper (he got one Serie A season and one La Liga I think) but I believe many think they have learned better. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That rumour to Sporting Gijón will die out as I'm sure Nashville will get better offers and Sporting can't improve the salary significantly. The summer transfer window lasts another 7 weeks, there's lots of time.

The optics on Canada being the only outsider alive in two major tournaments are very good. Mostly because we appear as a valuable team that has many undervalued players.

Shaff should go to Europe but not to Gijon. 

3 hours ago, shorty said:

Aramburu looks too much like Tucker Carlson.  I was having a hard time not seeing that on Friday during the broadcast...

I hate MILEI and Tucker Carlson too 

Big time idiots 

I keep day dreaming of Shaffelburg going to Belgium and specifically joining Genk.

Not sure why, because I am no expert on their squad, what their needs are, etc., but they've delt with MLS in recent memory (Pozuelo, Mark McKenzie), and they are typically fighting for Europe, if not the league title. 

I think of Junya Ito, who played multiple seasons for Genk some time ago, joined from the J-League in his mid-twenties.

I have always been impressed when he's played for Japan, and his contribution always seemed to be big for Japan. And even though Genk aren't that big, he was productive for them and important for them and important for the national team.

Now he plays in Ligue 1. 

I feel like that can be Shaffelburg, small step up with Genk (or similar), then grow into a key player for that side, get plenty of minutes, play in European games, keep being important to the national team.