Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Not sure if any of you saw his interview after the game, but wow, talk about humble.  All he talked about was how lucky he was to come on when it was cooler, getting to play on the shady side, no idea how the guys managed 90 out there because was completely gassed after 45, full credit to the guys who played before him, etc.  Really impressed by his character.

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

Not sure if any of you saw his interview after the game, but wow, talk about humble.  All he talked about was how lucky he was to come on when it was cooler, getting to play on the shady side, no idea how the guys managed 90 out there because was completely gassed after 45, full credit to the guys who played before him, etc.  Really impressed by his character.

Agreed. At 1:34, says he knows he's not the best in the pockets, but better running at guys:

He's not as a complete player as some others but he has certain things that make him dangerous in a certain role and we saw that last night. He has speed and imo a pretty accurate cross. Before the pass to David for the goal (which was a nice pass) he had a couple of crosses in to Larin that were dangerous.

That being said I don't think you just automatically start him. It really depends on how open the game is as to whether he will be most effective imo.

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wow, who would’ve thought Shaffelburg would be the breakout player of the tournament for us. So fun to watch. 

He may be the break out player of the tournament overall.

Kendry Paez and Endrick were the 2 hyped young players coming in but having done much (ok they only played 1 match each)

Edited by narduch

He's been incredible for us off the bench and after that interview how can you not like the guy. He's effective as a super sub because he's fearless, has speed to burn and is a  decent crosser with a strong left foot. When he comes on vs tired defenders they know what he's going to do but can't stop him for pace. His strength is also his weakness in terms of being a one dimensional player. I think you see that partly with his club team.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He's been incredible for us off the bench and after that interview how can you not like the guy. He's effective as a super sub because he's fearless, has speed to burn and is a  decent crosser with a strong left foot. When he comes on vs tired defenders they know what he's going to do but can't stop him for pace. His strength is also his weakness in terms of being a one dimensional player. I think you see that partly with his club team.

100 per cent. I feel like Peru targeted him. That disgusting tackle could have ended with much worse consequences. 

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:
10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wow, who would’ve thought Shaffelburg would be the breakout player of the tournament for us. So fun to watch. 

I know a certain South American member of the board who isn't surprised.

Hey, I'm not South American, but close. Snaffenburger is and will always be my guy. 

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm still bitter at Bob Bradley for trading him

I get it, but honestly I think we need to temper the idea that all these guys should have stayed at TFC (or other Canadian club X).  It would have been cool to see one or all of the Canadian MLS teams be mini Canadian national teams but I also love that we seem to be infiltrating US teams throughout the league.  It makes the act of monitoring individual players a bit more difficult but overall I see it as a positive in terms of the developmental landscape for our young players.  Shafft has grown as a player at Nashville and much like JRR, Tani, Bombito, etc, I am fine with that.

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

He may be the break out player of the tournament overall.

Kendry Paez and Endrick were the 2 hyped young players coming in but having done much (ok they only played 1 match each)

If he scores against Chile, I’ll call it for Shaffelburg. 

Always saw him as a high end career MLSer, but seeing what he can do with our guys, I’d really like to see what he can do in Europe. For all the talk of being a one trick pony, his assist to David last night was beautiful. 

He's been playing excellently.

The one thing I'd like to see him do is take the occasional opportunity to use his speed to bust in and get a shot himself.  His crosses are excellent but sometimes he could have his own go on goal from a dangerous position.

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

He's been playing excellently.

The one thing I'd like to see him do is take the occasional opportunity to use his speed to bust in and get a shot himself.  His crosses are excellent but sometimes he could have his own go on goal from a dangerous position.

Didn't he score a goal for us by doing this exact thing? I think it was Nations League.

59 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

100 per cent. I feel like Peru targeted him. That disgusting tackle could have ended with much worse consequences. 

Just had a flashback to another Canadian who was an absolute menace down the left side with tons of pace whose career ended with a brutal leg break…

I absolutely do think there was more malice in this tackle against Shaffelburg in comparison to MacNaughton's on Messi.  The Peruvian saw Shaffelburg coming whereas Messi came over from the side last second.  But it is interesting to see the differing views of the two similar tackles on here.

p.s. how could you not love Shaffelburg after that interview.  What a humble, down to earth, human being.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

You have to wonder with all of these clutch plays when he'll make a move to a bigger club. He has things to clean up and knows it, but someone who can produce in tough moments is really valuable. 

I know I'm in the minority, but some of our best performers are playing in MLS. Why are we so eager to see them move to Europe, when time and time again we see players move up and struggle for minutes. Someone like Shaffelburg, who still has technical and tactical deficiencies could easily find himself riding the bench in the wrong situation. I would like to let him clean those aspects up a bit in an environment where he's going to play, before moving on to the next level. It would have to be the right situation for me to want to see him move.

Edit: I actually didn't realize he had been in MLS for so long. Maybe he does need a move to clean his game up.

Edited by Aird25

I found Shaffelburg's post-match interview very interesting. He was honest and humble, but unlike some here he has a very clear-eyed view of his own strengths and limitations. Speed and attacking in straight lines, yes, playing in the pockets, no. He also acknowledged that his own style of play is not one he could have maintained for 90 minutes under yesterday's conditions, while shouting out the guys who did run hard for all 90, including the sunnier and hotter first half. I'd highlight Davies and David especially for their all-match fitness.

I do agree with some that he might find the adjustment to the expectatinos of certain European environments to be a struggle.

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but some of our best performers are playing in MLS. Why are we so eager to see them move to Europe, when time and time again we see players move up and struggle for minutes. Someone like Shaffelburg, who still has technical and tactical deficiencies could easily find himself riding the bench in the wrong situation. I would like to let him clean those aspects up a bit in an environment where he's going to play, before moving on to the next level. It would have to be the right situation for me to want to see him move 

No real argument. Good point. It seems like moves away from MLS come with a lot of risks, and sometimes players get benched for no reason. 

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but some of our best performers are playing in MLS. Why are we so eager to see them move to Europe, when time and time again we see players move up and struggle for minutes. Someone like Shaffelburg, who still has technical and tactical deficiencies could easily find himself riding the bench in the wrong situation. I would like to let him clean those aspects up a bit in an environment where he's going to play, before moving on to the next level. It would have to be the right situation for me to want to see him move 

I tend to agree with this and am never chomping at the bit for guys to move out of MLS when they show the slightest flash of potential. It has come a long way ion the last decade or so and can clearly incubate and develop international quality players. 

Over the long term we are also well served by having MLS continue to grow in quality.