Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Thanks!  I knew about Jacob, Jaime, James, Jack, Giacomo, didn't know about Diego and Santiago!  Never would've guessed. 

I just love saying Jacopo since the Count of Montecristo and try to use it every chance I get!

I learnt this because people celebrate patron saints days here, then you find out what names share them.

Also, the Camino de Santiago, if the saint's day July 25,  falls on a Sunday it's called a Jacobean year and they do special events. Santiago, where legend says Saint James is buried. 

There's no common female version in Spanish, for other names there is (today, Juan, Juana).

31 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@JAVIERF telling the world in incoherent misspelled English how good "Shaffenburg" is.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

With all due respect to Shaff, South Americans are about to have an inflated opinion of him between games against Messi and these games.

Guy was an absolute dawg today though I’ll give it to him

4 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Shaffelburg is an Argie playing for ya

he's definitely making an impression, at important times.

it just seems to me to be one-dimensional?  maybe that's normal though.

39 minutes ago, eramosat said:

he's definitely making an impression, at important times.

it just seems to me to be one-dimensional?  maybe that's normal though.

He is one dimensional and funnily enough he somewhat admitted it in his post game. Said he’s weak in the pockets, which quite honestly is a death sentence at higher levels. 

Fantastic weapon off the bench. Great MLS player. 

Props to ex-TFC management with the great asset management 

they parlayed this pacy player into 10 used game balls, those statues where players try free kicks before games in training and 7 ( 2 for 1 Argos game tickets- such a heist !!)

Brutal talent management but full props to JS- well done with a bright future 

37 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He is one dimensional and funnily enough he somewhat admitted it in his post game. Said he’s weak in the pockets, which quite honestly is a death sentence at higher levels. 

Fantastic weapon off the bench. Great MLS player. 

Arjen Robben was pretty much a one trick pony for a long time too.  Everyone knew he was going to cut into the middle and hit it with his left.  But it didn’t really matter that everyone knew his plan because he was good enough at it that he would still cut in on his left, beat a guy, and crack a good chance on goal.  

If you are really good at something, you can sometimes parlay it into success even if you go into that playbook a lot. 

The way he is playing right now reminds me of Taj back during the Gold Cup 2021 and WCQ. The speed and taking on defenders, but also having the tenacity to win little battles and play fearless. Europe in the near future is inevitable at this rate.  

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Arjen Robben was pretty much a one trick pony for a long time too.  Everyone knew he was going to cut into the middle and hit it with his left.  But it didn’t really matter that everyone knew his plan because he was good enough at it that he would still cut in on his left, beat a guy, and crack a good chance on goal.  

If you are really good at something, you can sometimes parlay it into success even if you go into that playbook a lot. 

Robben wasn’t a one trick pony though. He was just extremely dominant at cutting onto his left foot.  

His technique, timing of runs, interplay, dribbling etc was also at an extremely high level. He played a free role as a striker in 2014 and was absolutely dominant.  He could pick up the ball in half spaces and dribble through 3 guys.

shaf doesn’t really have anything that’s top level other than his speed.  He rarely beats his guy from intelligence to find space, intricate interplay or technique to dribble around players.  It’s mostly knock it past the guy and run.  

I love shaf but to get to the next level, he needs to raise his floor in many different areas to a minimum standard. 

Edited by Bigandy

Bid incoming from Monaco or Lille in 5..4..3...

Incredible performance again. Obviously benefitted from the extra space and tired Peruvian legs but Shaff is definitely a menace. At this point it's a bit like Cornelius, sod Copenhagen and sod Spanish 2nd division, I want higher and better clubs lol