Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Don't think he should start although maybe throw him a bone for a game to wake up either winger. He's incredibly one dimensional and got found out by Argentina by the end but his directness is a breath of fresh air and effective and he's always working hard. Should come on at the 60th every game we need a spark which seems like it'll be every one since we have no finishing.

6 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Don't think he should start although maybe throw him a bone for a game to wake up either winger. He's incredibly one dimensional and got found out by Argentina by the end but his directness is a breath of fresh air and effective and he's always working hard. Should come on at the 60th every game we need a spark which seems like it'll be every one since we have no finishing.

Exactly I agree with Shaffelburg as a super sub especially against Peru 🇵🇪 and Chile 🇨🇱 

13 hours ago, frmr said:

Not the most high profile player but fuck I love Shaff. He's the definition of what a Canadian player should be. Pure guts, determination and humility.

He’s a fuckin hoser is what he is.

Wouldnt hate him starting, but I think his speed makes him an excellent half time sub. Yesterday he looked like he was a step and a half over the Argentinian guys. Think against a weaker opponent, he makes them pay. 

1 hour ago, Cadeau said:

Am I the only one that thinks some of these questions are a bit nasty?

Shaf takes it like the champ that he is. F this reporter. I am all for asking tough questions, but "What did you learn about South American soccer tonight?" Ummm.... what? Definitely came off condescending, as in South American soccer is better or something.

Hey Matthew, if you're reading, I learned that Messi is losing his ability to finish and that Canada can compete just fine with South American teams. What a joke interview. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

56 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What happens maybe when people with no preconceptions judge players on what they actually see happening in a national team game rather than on what league a player plays in.

Exactly 💯 

You could see by the end of the game Arg was figuring out Shaff, he does a lot of great things but needs to round out his offensive game and pay more attention to defense..ie Millar or even Buchanon.  Much as I love some SHaff he tends to be a 1 trick pony and needs to keep them honest mix it up, plus become a better crosser. 

Hmmm a TFC cast off that they couldnt use.  

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s a fuckin hoser is what he is.

Wouldnt hate him starting, but I think his speed makes him an excellent half time sub. Yesterday he looked like he was a step and a half over the Argentinian guys. Think against a weaker opponent, he makes them pay. 

Like when he's subbed on against T&T and scores to put us up 2-0.

7 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

as in South American soccer is better or something.

But isn't it? Like a flying fuck ton better no? Our first Copa, our second time playing a South American team in recent memory, I think it was a fair question. I say ask away, our boys can handle it. 

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You could see by the end of the game Arg was figuring out Shaff, he does a lot of great things but needs to round out his offensive game and pay more attention to defense..ie Millar or even Buchanon.  Much as I love some SHaff he tends to be a 1 trick pony and needs to keep them honest mix it up, plus become a better crosser. 

Hmmm a TFC cast off that they couldnt use.  

To be fair, he was playing on his off-wing, and as you say, he needs to become a better crosser, especially with his right foot, in order to keep the defense honest

1 minute ago, PegCityCam said:

But isn't it? Like a flying fuck ton better no? Our first Copa, our second time playing a South American team in recent memory, I think it was a fair question. I say ask away, our boys can handle it. 

It's been a while, but we've played South American teams before and gotten results. Maybe not against Argentina, but we drew Brazil and Venezuela, as well as beat Colombia.

To insinuate that playing South American teams is a new concept that we have to accept is frankly only something someone who has not followed the team for very long could say. Love Shaf's reaction, though. It was a bizarre question. 

28 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's been a while, but we've played South American teams before and gotten results. Maybe not against Argentina, but we drew Brazil and Venezuela, as well as beat Colombia.

To insinuate that playing South American teams is a new concept that we have to accept is frankly only something someone who has not followed the team for very long could say. Love Shaf's reaction, though. It was a bizarre question. 

Interesting and fair assessment. I guess I didn't find it bizarre at all. Great reaction indeed.

23 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Wonder what he would have been if he got the needed development sooner.

Ya, but his birthday is in November remember?  I mean how do you develop that?

image.png.4af25158dd20ed54e581dd2487aca44c.png

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, but his birthday is in November remember?  I mean how do you develop that?

image.png.4af25158dd20ed54e581dd2487aca44c.png

I am sure you are just making a joke, but it is a very real effect related to kids born later in the year who tend to get left off teams because of the advantage tje slightly older kids have in terms of maturation and physical development.  It isn’t decisive by any means but if someone is trying out for a team when they are 10 or 13 years old, the kid born in January is likely more physically mature than the kid in the same age cohort but born in November.   If that results in the November kid missing out on important developmental opportunities through school or high performance teams, it definitely has an effect.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-athletes-birthdays-affect-who-goes-pro-and-who-becomes-a-star/

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am sure you are just making a joke, but it is a very real effect related to kids born later in the year who tend to get left off teams because of the advantage tje slightly older kids have in terms of maturation and physical development.  It isn’t decisive by any means but if someone is trying out for a team when they are 10 or 13 years old, the kid born in January is likely more physically mature than the kid in the same age cohort but born in November.   If that results in the November kid missing out on important developmental opportunities through school or high performance teams, it definitely has an effect.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-athletes-birthdays-affect-who-goes-pro-and-who-becomes-a-star/

Ya, it was kinda a joke, but definitely with some truth behind it.  You know who else is really quick and also born in November?  Phonzie.  Two other randoms born end of October before these analytics came into play?  Maradona and Pele.  I'm just glad the Jan & Feb born players TFC picked instead of Shaff worked out better for them.  

There are many factors used to rate and judge young players.  The few months difference becomes less and less of a factor the older they get.  Shaff was already like 16 or 17 when he joined TFC.  There is a massive difference in using this system on 7-9 yr olds vs 16-18 yr olds.

I've read about this before, and also seen it in effect.  I assume you read the whole thing through right?  It goes into detail about how the birthday effects the selection process, but also how it doesn't actually seem to work since statistically speaking the younger kids are actually more successful.  I mean, at the end of the day, you gotta use what you are seeing not just the numbers.

Edited by costarg