Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Most of our European players have yet to hit their peak which is why some of our MLS guys look better. Outside of Eustaquio, all of our guys are still very young and have a few more years to hit their peak. 

Players should move to Europe because for the goals we are trying to accomplish, MLS does not prepare our guys well enough. If a player like Shaffelburg who is an excellent player in MLS moves abroad and fails, at least we know his limits and can plan accordingly.  I would rather know what our players are made of than watch them dominate leagues that are below their potential. I know some weird stuff can happen with playing time that harms development, but quality rises to the top, and if the player can hang in a league, he will find a spot. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Most of our European players have yet to hit their peak which is why some of our MLS guys look better. Outside of Eustaquio, all of our guys are still very young and have a few more years to hit their peak. 

Outside of Kone I wouldn't say any are "very" young in footballing terms. Larin, notably, is older than Eustaquio while Cornelius is basically the same age. 

Still room to progress for most of them. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Players should move to Europe because for the goals we are trying to accomplish, MLS does not prepare our guys well enough. If a player like Shaffelburg who is an excellent player in MLS moves abroad and fails, at least we know his limits and can plan accordingly.  I would rather know what our players are made of than watch them dominate leagues that are below their potential. I know some weird stuff can happen with playing time that harms development, but quality rises to the top, and if the player can hang in a league, he will find a spot. 

I agree with this for the most part, but Shaffelburg is not dominating MLS.

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I agree with this for the most part, but Shaffelburg is not dominating MLS.

No, not at all, but the argument for him not testing himself out in Europe is that he can eventually become dominant, or at least a star (perennial all star?) player in MLS. 

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Outside of Kone I wouldn't say any are "very" young in footballing terms. Larin, notably, is older than Eustaquio while Cornelius is basically the same age. 

Still room to progress for most of them. 

Davies is still 23, Corbeanu is 22, Nelson is 21, Tajon is 25, but he’s still growing into his new position at a new club, Millar is still in ascension. Not rookie by any means, but we don’t have many players in Europe, if any, who we feel are at their peak. Compared to our MLS contingent, I think it’s safe to say that guys like Laryea, Choiniere, Osorio, Crepeau, so on, have mostly reached their peak. 

On the topic of Europe Vs. MLS- rumour is that there is mutual interest to bring Weston McKinnie to Cincinnati, with him even leaving US Camp to go and visit their facilities. Also heard Nashville might try and hijack the deal. 

How would we feel about this happening? I guess for us it’s like if Tajon went to LAFC next season or something.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

On the topic of Europe Vs. MLS- rumour is that there is mutual interest to bring Weston McKinnie to Cincinnati, with him even leaving US Camp to go and visit their facilities. Also heard Nashville might try and hijack the deal. 

How would we feel about this happening? I guess for us it’s like if Tajon went to LAFC next season or something.

Sounds a lot like the Eustaquio to TFC/MLS rumour

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've alluded to this before, serious money is heading MLS' way and North American players moving abroad is soon going to be a thing of the past with MLS taking over all European leagues outside of the Prem within the decade. Staq and McKinnie coming sooner rather than later tell me their ahead of the curve, and want their massive pay days sooner rather than later. Overall, best not to fight it, it's a good thing. 

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think this one has more legs than the Eustaquio rumour- think the player was spotted in Cincinnati during the US pre-Copa camp. I think the Eustaquio rumour was more wishcasting from a blogger than anything. 

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I've alluded to this before, serious money is heading MLS' way and North American players moving abroad is soon going to be a thing of the past with MLS taking over all European leagues outside of the Prem within the decade. Staq and McKinnie coming sooner rather than later tell me their ahead of the curve, and want their massive pay days sooner rather than later. Overall, best not to fight it, it's a good thing. 

I think this will happen eventually but not during this generation of players. MLS quality on aggregate is still too low to attract top players in their prime and MLS has not shown the willingness to loosen the financial restrictions on teams to really pay big dollars to star players. I think in a decade you will start seeing MLS jockeying for the same players as the top 5 leagues, but for now, we’re going to see past their prime guys and maybe a few USMNT guys who can get swayed by huge deals. Long ways to go before staying in America becomes a viable career path for top players though.

I think Shafs play style is a super sub, no matter what level he plays at. His energy and speed is just so useful runninh at tired players. I don’t think a move to a 2nd division would be smart or make sense because I think he would end up having the same role he would at a first division side.

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Maybe. I think MLS will start to be able to compete financially with mid-lower table teams outside the Premiership. The top 3-5 teams in France, Germany, Spain, Italy will still be ahead.

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

not at all, but the argument for him not testing himself out in Europe is that he can eventually become dominant, or at least a star (perennial all star?) player in MLS. 

That certainly wasn't the argument I made. I was saying we should allow him to further develop his game, and clean up clear difficencies in an environment where he will get playing time and not be cast aside if he doesn't adapt immediately. However, I didn't realize how long he has been plying his trade in MLS. I thought it was just the last couple years

2 hours ago, frattinator said:

This might be a bit obscure but Shaf is reminding me of David Odonkor for Germany at the 2006 World Cup. Super sub coming off the bench, ton of speed and brings huge element of directness and consistently changing the match whenever he comes on. 

Also, from a Canada reference point, a Josh Simpson type with whippet pace in taking on opponents wide.

26 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I think Shafs play style is a super sub, no matter what level he plays at. His energy and speed is just so useful runninh at tired players. I don’t think a move to a 2nd division would be smart or make sense because I think he would end up having the same role he would at a first division side.

Then in that case he's probably better off staying in MLS at least for right now anyway

45 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don’t know if it was noted in any of the other threads, and I didn’t notice it until I watched the goal again today, but that was a nasty two handed shove by the peruvian player after he made the pass to David. It should have been another yellow.

My wife was pretty outraged by it but I was too busy shouting about the goal.   

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get it, but honestly I think we need to temper the idea that all these guys should have stayed at TFC (or other Canadian club X).  It would have been cool to see one or all of the Canadian MLS teams be mini Canadian national teams but I also love that we seem to be infiltrating US teams throughout the league.  It makes the act of monitoring individual players a bit more difficult but overall I see it as a positive in terms of the developmental landscape for our young players.  Shafft has grown as a player at Nashville and much like JRR, Tani, Bombito, etc, I am fine with that.

You can put aside the nationality and still be pissed.  You could almost use any trade TFC makes for Garber bucks as an indication that you should be on eBay looking for the player card as they will be an all-star soon.:)

I think Bradley should be given some credit - he decided Shaf was of no use to TFC so he sent him on loan rather than burying him in the reserves.