Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Little dig into Sporting Gijon:

• Finished 5th out of 22 teams in La Liga 2 last season
  • Have been in the second div since 2017-18, which also was their best finish since being relegated (4th).
  • Only one full international currently at the club, 12-capped Montenegro veteran striker Uroš_Đurđević
  • Play in the 29K seat stadium, El Molinon

image.png.961cf71d0dd45ab555cbc1723c43bc45.png

@Unnamed Trialist is the Spanish expert here, so he could give us better insight, but for some reason I would feel good about Schaff in La Liga 2 with this club, rather than going to a top flight club in Belgium or Netherlands. Of course, depends on the club, because if it's a top 5-6 club in those leagues, that'd be better, I think.

What do you all think?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Little dig into Sporting Gijon:

• Finished 5th out of 22 teams in La Liga 2 last season
  • Have been in the second div since 2017-18, which also was their best finish since being relegated (4th).
  • Only one full international currently at the club, 12-capped Montenegro veteran striker Uroš_Đurđević
  • Play in the 29K seat stadium, El Molinon

image.png.961cf71d0dd45ab555cbc1723c43bc45.png

@Unnamed Trialist is the Spanish expert here, so he could give us better insight, but for some reason I would feel good about Schaff in La Liga 2 with this club, rather than going to a top flight club in Belgium or Netherlands. Of course, depends on the club, because if it's a top 5-6 club in those leagues, that'd be better, I think.

What do you all think?

It's a beautiful club, a real classic in Spanish football in a region, Asturias, with a lot of football culture. Regional rival is Oviedo. Where Luis Enrique came out of, and a lot of great players (David Villa). Also very good youth system. Sea and mountains, cool and a bit wet in winter. Very good quality of life. 

Like certain classic teams they are striving to get back into la Liga, but have been stymied, they're similar to Oviedo, Racing Santander, Zaragoza. But the good thing is that their ambition is to promote and they should be in the promotion mix. 

I'm surprised, frankly. For no particular reason, I just didn't expect it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Shaff doing end-runs around Spanish 2nd side defenders?  Somehow I don't think that trick would work for too long.  But no-one who acquires him would be ignorant of his talents.  Probably would be good for us in the forum.

A few more tricks in the arsenal...that's all I'd like to see.

The other thing about this rumour is Sporting just yesterday signed a young coach who has 2nd division experience, Rubén Albés. But the meetings took place in the US, in DC. So I wonder if it could be related to him being there, following Copa. 

In any case it's a but fast as Albés hasn't had time to ask for anyone yet. Unless the sporting director and to president being in the US already had their eyes on Shaff. 

It's funny that despite how direct some of our play style and players are...we don't try a lot of long balls. I guess that would require a defender or mid who can do those long passes reliably well but still...some of our forwards like Shaffleberg/Buchanon would benefit from this 

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They lost out in the recent promotion playoff semi-finals to Espanyol.

Liga 2 is probably a good entry point for Jacob into Europe 

No ,  a first division always,  2nd division are really not good 

19 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

@ObinnaI think a top Dutch side would be better personally. More exposure, chance at Euro competitions, better company. He may be fighting for playing time, but that's always going to be the case at a quality side. Plus, I think his style could be a good fit for Holland. 

A top Dutch side, I'd agree. 

Sparta Rotterdam where Brym is, is top half of the table. But I don't think you meant them. 

A little problem is that Belgian and Dutch clubs like Ajax and Bruges have had poor years and that could be worse than the consistent competitive level of Segunda. As I think I said somewhere, with two matches to play no direct promotion was decided, 11 teams were in the mix for the playoffs, 9 were still relegation threatened. It's really competitive. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A top Dutch side, I'd agree. 

Sparta Rotterdam where Brym is, is top half of the table. But I don't think you meant them. 

A little problem is that Belgian and Dutch clubs like Ajax and Bruges have had poor years and that could be worse than the consistent competitive level of Segunda. As I think I said somewhere, with two matches to play no direct promotion was decided, 11 teams were in the mix for the playoffs, 9 were still relegation threatened. It's really competitive. 

Yeah. Not them. I would take Segunda over a mediocre Eredivisie team at this point. 

Anyway, pretty exciting to think Shaf could be on the move to Europe. He has come a long way from TFC and battled his way into the CMNT. Scored some clutch goals and always looks dangerous. The attention is fully deserved, and frankly, he should have had more looks at the national level a long time ago. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just looked, he's making 350,000 US as his base. I don't think Sporting can improve enough on that to make it worth his while, he'd have to go over half a million minimum.

This is increasingly the calculation as MLS salaries improve. I would be surprised if Shaffelburg becomes a top four league player, and below that, the salaries are not that much different. He can stay in MLS and be in a stable situation, near home, making good money, and in Nashville at least, or in Canada, have a following. In Europe, he'll likely move through many clubs to keep his career going, and he'll be a nobody. Might be interesting for a few years, but I don't see it being a great career move for a player like him.

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Doesn't have the precision passing and crossing from what I have seen.

Maybe a version of Frimpong, he plays wingback for his club and a similar skillset.  Pace and finishing.

Was looking at the Sporting roster and boy is that one dull bunch of players, no flash at all, very workaday players, many with top flight experience. Like Roque Mesa who was with Larin at Valladolid, did not like him at all, that guy is finished as a Liga athlete. They need a bit of spark. Mind you, they way they've signed until now suggests they value plodding journeymen over pzazz.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Jacobo is in Spanish actually Jaime, Diego and Santiago as well, same name.

Thanks!  I knew about Jacob, Jaime, James, Jack, Giacomo, didn't know about Diego and Santiago!  Never would've guessed. 

I just love saying Jacopo since the Count of Montecristo and try to use it every chance I get!