Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Letting the ball come across your body and striking it is not an easy technique. Bravo Shaff!

Mannn I don't know if you're saying that because it looks different coming from a left footer... but that was a very well weighted pass. Meaning it wasn't hard to gauge imo.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Mannn I don't know if you're saying that because it looks different coming from a left footer... but that was a very well weighted pass. Meaning it wasn't hard to gauge imo.

Yeah maybe that's what it was initially, because I re-watched it again and yeah....it was put on a platter for him to be fair. Probably the easiest version of that kind of goal one could score. Happy he put it away nonetheless. Looked confident doing so. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, narduch said:

He's 13th in MLS in jersey sales.

No player on the 3 Canadian MLS teams made the top 25.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/lionel-messi-leads-top-selling-mls-jerseys-in-2024

What the actual f#%*
This so random. He's either a folk hero in Nashville or everybody in Kentville, Nova Scotia has bought his jersey.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There’s no way. This must be strictly US sales. 

It is. 

Canadian teams don’t sell merchandise on the same website. (.com vs. .ca) and are never counted in these annual sales lists.

Additionally, TFC pushes all customers to the MLSE-specific store (Real Sports),

10 hours ago, Shway said:

What the actual f#%*
This so random. He's either a folk hero in Nashville or everybody in Kentville, Nova Scotia has bought his jersey.

Or the guys at the shirt shops get commissions for each extra name letter sold. 

If he's a sex symbol in Tennessee I'm going to put a shotgun in my mouth at the exact halfway point between Graceland and Geodis Park.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Or the guys at the shirt shops get commissions for each extra name letter sold. 

If he's a sex symbol in Tennessee I'm going to put a shotgun in my mouth at the exact halfway point between Graceland and Geodis Park.

I'm not going to buy his kit, but who cares if he put a shift in defending like he did against France. 

When I was in Nashville last summer, every single sports bar had a NSC logo right next to the Titans, Volunteers, and Preds- they consider them one of their big teams in a way I have not seen in New York, Boston, LA, even in Montreal. Lots of NSC jerseys around Broadway street too. Don’t think I saw any Shaff jerseys, but I’ve never been to a North American city and seen so many MLS jerseys that were not Messi. I think Mukhtar was like #10 most sold jersey- I think it’s just a case of Nashville being an extremely well supported team, and he’s one of their star offensive players. 

9 hours ago, RS said:

It is. 

Canadian teams don’t sell merchandise on the same website. (.com vs. .ca) and are never counted in these annual sales lists.

Additionally, TFC pushes all customers to the MLSE-specific store (Real Sports),

Would including Canadian teams even change the rankings? I’ve seen single digit Choiniere jerseys, a couple Piette ones out in the wild, but at least in Montreal there definitely aren’t any players moving serious volume. Would assume Insigne and Berna probably sell quite a few jerseys in Toronto though. 

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

When I was in Nashville last summer, every single sports bar had a NSC logo right next to the Titans, Volunteers, and Preds- they consider them one of their big teams in a way I have not seen in New York, Boston, LA, even in Montreal. Lots of NSC jerseys around Broadway street too. Don’t think I saw any Shaff jerseys, but I’ve never been to a North American city and seen so many MLS jerseys that were not Messi. I think Mukhtar was like #10 most sold jersey- I think it’s just a case of Nashville being an extremely well supported team, and he’s one of their star offensive players. 

Would including Canadian teams even change the rankings? I’ve seen single digit Choiniere jerseys, a couple Piette ones out in the wild, but at least in Montreal there definitely aren’t any players moving serious volume. Would assume Insigne and Berna probably sell quite a few jerseys in Toronto though. 

Nashville (teams and city) do marketing REALLY well. They don't cut corners.  All fingers are talking to each other, far cry from our town.

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Even when Montreal had Drogba his jersey was well down the list (if even on the list at all), which certainly doesn't make sense.

And yeah, there are a ton of Insigne TFC jerseys around town in Toronto. There's no way he's not in the top 25, especially when players from much smaller fanbases (Minnesota, RBNY) are on the list.

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Even when Montreal had Drogba his jersey was well down the list (if even on the list at all), which certainly doesn't make sense.

And yeah, there are a ton of Insigne TFC jerseys around town in Toronto. There's no way he's not in the top 25, especially when players from much smaller fanbases (Minnesota, RBNY) are on the list.

That’s funny re: Drogba, because I think you’ll see more of his shirts at games than any current players- I’ll still see some in the wild here and there too. 

Wonder what it’s like out west too. Anyone rocking a Ryan Gauld shirt in Vancouver? 

36 minutes ago, costarg said:

Nashville (teams and city) do marketing REALLY well. They don't cut corners.  All fingers are talking to each other, far cry from our town.

Nashville have as close to the perfect conditions to grow a soccer culture in North America as any city on the continent. Rapidly growing city full of young families, tons of people moving there from across the country, it’s a city/state dominated by the NFL which is a very expensive sport to follow + NSC’s season mostly runs through the NFL offseason. Lots of money flowing into the city so the kids who go watch NSC games also probably have the money to then go and join a team and play competitively too. Not to take anything away from the work their supporters have done and the excellent marketing the club has done too. I was so surprised visiting the city that they really seemed to stress the importance of all of their sports teams not just the Titans and University of Tennessee. 

15 hours ago, Shway said:

What the actual f#%*

FWIW, I’ve spent the last couple of months in the Wolfville area (drove through Shaff’s hometown of Port Williams a few minutes ago), and have never seen anyone here wearing a Shaff jersey or any other soccer jersey. There’s an older guy in Wolfville who uses a mobility scooter that has a Canada Soccer flag. Next time I see him I’ll ask if he knows Shaffelburg.

Hard on him in the first game but watched his minutes back and thought he did quite well defensively on the right against France. 

Caught Mendy once tracking back; double teamed someone, won the ball and sent it up for David/Laryea's almost chance.

The one glaring mistake was the wild missed tackle on Mbappe.  But he did have a row of defenders set behind him, Mbappe was outside the box and if the latter could have put the ball around 3 or 4 guys and beat Crepeau from there, you have to hold your hands up. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

A slightly deeper Maritime Messi profile piece in the Athletic. Schaff grew up with now Ottawa Senators forward Drake Batherson as a neighbour. 

“The development system simply is not very good,” admits Mike Hudson, technical director at Soccer Nova Scotia from 2003 to 2011. In Nova Scotia, the level just isn’t good enough. To develop players, you have to play best versus best. We have a diluted structure here in the youth level. The best don’t tend to play the best very often. Our players are isolated. The (youth national team’s) focus is on players from the three MLS academies.

The facilities for it aren’t as well-kept as those in towns and cities to the west. The sport is often treated as a summer activity for the province’s better hockey players, just to maintain decent cardio levels until they can get back on the ice.

You naturally give priority to those within your own club and sometimes can be blind to those outside,” says Corey Wray, then Toronto’s assistant general manager. “But you need to have eyes on both paths and be curious to the outside player pool. Their experiences may be potentially less impactful in certain areas but we cannot dismiss the growth possibility in other areas that players experience by not being at the ‘best academies’.”

Some of Toronto’s physical testing tracked Shaffelburg as quite literally the fastest player in the club’s history. They understood that with a November birthday and no formal academy background, he might have been behind in his development compared to players in his age group.

From day one, Nashville assistant coach and former England international winger Steve Guppy subjected Shaffelburg to consistent video sessions to find areas for improvement, and then extra time before every training session to implement those desired changes.

Developing in Nova Scotia means Shaffelburg is not a classically-trained player who is overtly technically proficient. He is fearless on and off the ball. If he gets caught out of position, he will always work to recover with that same aggression.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5568616/2024/06/20/jacob-shaffelburg-maritime-messi-canada-copa-2024/

1 hour ago, red card said:

Some of Toronto’s physical testing tracked Shaffelburg as quite literally the fastest player in the club’s history. They understood that with a November birthday and no formal academy background, he might have been behind in his development compared to players in his age group.

If this doesn't scream TFC development style and process I don't know what does.