Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

Derek was wonderful in the air last night.

Seemed to win everything. I recall @ahmedou sharing Marseille fan comments and some of them highlighted how good he was in the air. I think we saw that tonight, more than any time for Canada I seem to remember. 

One of his big strengths is stepping up and winning balls, on the ground or in the air. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Seemed to win everything. I recall @ahmedou sharing Marseille fan comments and some of them highlighted how good he was in the air. I think we saw that tonight, more than any time for Canada I seem to remember. 

One of his big strengths is stepping up and winning balls, on the ground or in the air. 

I distinctly remember a header where the ball was falling fast and short of DC position with a Panama guy right underneath it. 

he had to full on sprint and then get up without having too much momentum forward. Any hesitation or mistiming or getting put off by the striker and he’s overcommitted and caught out.  Most cb’s would post up behind the striker.  

incredible header. No real impact on the win but his timing is amazing. Bombito is everywhere but Cornelius is a better pure header. 

30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I distinctly remember a header where the ball was falling fast and short of DC position with a Panama guy right underneath it. 

he had to full on sprint and then get up without having too much momentum forward. Any hesitation or mistiming or getting put off by the striker and he’s overcommitted and caught out.  Most cb’s would post up behind the striker.  

incredible header. No real impact on the win but his timing is amazing. Bombito is everywhere but Cornelius is a better pure header. 

Yeah is timing is impressive. 

He was great in the air but at the game he made a couple of wild interceptions where the Panamanian player had a through pass setup and Derek out of nowhere just sticks out a leg and traps the ball. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Cornelius showed me again why he has the level to play at the highest level (Marseille, etc).

His Copa America performances wasn't pure hazard. Like that's his real level until now.

Even if he took a yellow card he still clean on the air and clean with his tackles in our box.

It's not a pure hazard that Bombito become a great defender by playing with Cornelius. Cornelius is so calm and confident that you start to become like him - calm and confident as a defencemen.

Without Cornelius there's no David goal. Look at him with his arms wide open at the back after his Air Cornelius and his temmates celebrating in the front.

Let's call him Air Cornelius. That's his nickname.

Admin change the Derek Cornelius topic name to Air Cornelius.

Screenshot_20241016_145326_Gallery.jpg.02738a3de82c9d143047a8b3fd1d7616.jpg

2 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah is timing is impressive. 

He was great in the air but at the game he made a couple of wild interceptions where the Panamanian player had a through pass setup and Derek out of nowhere just sticks out a leg and traps the ball. 

Unfortunately he cost us a goal in trying to anticipate an interception and getting beat on an easy through ball. Was no need for it. 

15 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Unfortunately he cost us a goal in trying to anticipate an interception and getting beat on an easy through ball. Was no need for it. 

The credit for the Panama goal can be shared among the midfielders, Cornelius and Davies. And of course the Panamaians.

The Fox announcers thought Davies placed himself on the wrong side of the opposing player.