Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Cannot read french but I am going to assume this is an indication Lille has some interest and Malmo want 5M to free him from his contract which runs until 26. 

I'll add this:

I would much prefer Lille to Brest. Sure, Brest will be in the Champions League, but do they have the squad depth to manage that campaign without struggling in Ligue 1? Conversely, Lille manage domestic and European football well, which is why they've always had some form of it during the last 4 seasons. I don't trust Brest not to get dragged down into a relegation battle. 

Edited by Obinna

Surprised that of our two new 5 million euro men that Lille would look to replace Yoro with DC and not Bombito considering their business model. 

Still prefer Brest- maybe a part of that is because one more Canadian at LOSC probably helps keep David there too, but the fact that we might put 4 players in France in 1 window is pretty insane to think about. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Surprised that of our two new 5 million euro men that Lille would look to replace Yoro with DC and not Bombito considering their business model. 

Still prefer Brest- maybe a part of that is because one more Canadian at LOSC probably helps keep David there too, but the fact that we might put 4 players in France in 1 window is pretty insane to think about. 

Don't see the correlation.

I can see how David playing at Lille the last 4 seasons could alert them to Bombito and Cornelius, but I don't see why either joining would put an anchor on David. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't see the correlation.

I can see how David playing at Lille the last 4 seasons could alert them to Bombito and Cornelius, but I don't see why either joining would put an anchor on David. 

I mean, my biggest reason to prefer Brest over Lille is because they’ve qualified for champions league and Lille has only qualified for the qualification round. Lille stocking up on Canadians probably wouldn’t affect David, no, but I would prefer if our guys moved away from Lille, at least for the time being. Not that I’d be disappointed if he ended up anywhere in France to be honest. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I mean, my biggest reason to prefer Brest over Lille is because they’ve qualified for champions league and Lille has only qualified for the qualification round. Lille stocking up on Canadians probably wouldn’t affect David, no, but I would prefer if our guys moved away from Lille, at least for the time being. Not that I’d be disappointed if he ended up anywhere in France to be honest. 

Fair enough. 

I have concerns about whether Brest can manage Champions League and domestic duties, but another issue aside from that could be their inexperience in Champions League.

Let's face it, the club does not a lot of experience on that stage, and Derek would be part of a backline that could struggle, which wouldn't be a great look. It's not like forwards who could shine individually despite losing efforts. When you lose games, the defence rarely looks good. Even worse if you're blown out. 

At 26 years old, this could be his BIG transfer, so I would feel more comfortable with him going to a club with a little more name-recognition and stability. I don't follow Brest, but from the outside it feels as if last season was a flash in the pan from them. What if they bomb out of Europe and then also struggle in the league, reverting to status quo. The 3 seasons prior to last they fnished 14th, 11th and 17th, and that was without European football to juggle. 

Don't get me wrong, a lot worse places than a mid-to-bottom table team in Ligue 1, it's still a top 5 league, but he's been linked to teams in the Bundesliga, as well as Ajax and Feyenoord, so I would be a little disappointed if he ended up at Brest, even with the guarenteed UCL campaign. 

Even FC Copenhagen would arguably be better. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fair enough. 

I have concerns about whether Brest can manage Champions League and domestic duties, but another issue aside from that could be their inexperience in Champions League.

Let's face it, the club does not a lot of experience on that stage, and Derek would be part of a backline that could struggle, which wouldn't be a great look. It's not like forwards who could shine individually despite losing efforts. When you lose games, the defence rarely looks good. Even worse if you're blown out. 

At 26 years old, this could be his BIG transfer, so I would feel more comfortable with him going to a club with a little more name-recognition and stability. I don't follow Brest, but from the outside it feels as if last season was a flash in the pan from them. What if they bomb out of Europe and then also struggle in the league, reverting to status quo. The 3 seasons prior to last they fnished 14th, 11th and 17th, and that was without European football to juggle. 

Don't get me wrong, a lot worse places than a mid-to-bottom table team in Ligue 1, it's still a top 5 league, but he's been linked to teams in the Bundesliga, as well as Ajax and Feyenoord, so I would be a little disappointed if he ended up at Brest, even with the guarenteed UCL campaign. 

Even FC Copenhagen would arguably be better. 

I think with teams like this (same with Auxerre/Bair), I try and have faith in our players to be solid enough that if the worst happens and they get relegated, they will be loaned/sold on to a good team. It is true though as a CB, you are the most exposed to looking bad if your team is poor, so that is a factor.

As for their viability in managing a European + domestic campaign, I feel like the absolute worst case scenario is they end up like Union Berlin- champions league one season and barely surviving the following one, but I think they will definitely stay up this year, especially if they have the budget to go after €5M CBs. I also think Ligue 1 will have more parity this year than others. PSG will be weaker with no Mbappe, Lille will hopefully be weaker without Jonathan David, I think Marseille will make a run, but outside of them, I think that Brest can still be a top tier club. 

The other clubs you mention would be excellent situations too, I just haven’t heard concrete rumours about it, so unsure how much stock to put into it. Anywhere in the Bundesliga or those top Dutch clubs would be awesome. 

On 6/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, PegCityCam said:

I'm curious as to where this "over-hyped" label even stemmed from? Regardless, calling him over-hyped because of a few mistakes against the best players on the planet? Like huh? He's clearly worthy of the Eredivisie "hype" and could possibly be playing above that level in a year or two. Can someone please explain to me what level of "hype" we're all on about here? Did someone compare him to Frank de Boer?

Five weeks ago I got tipsy and attempted to defend Big D's worthiness of the Eredivisie hype and now he's linked to Lille? Holy shit things are moving fast for our guy!

Not in the match day squad for Malmo’s champions league match against Klaksvik- I wonder if he’s injured? Hasn’t played for Malmo yet since Copa.

Brest’s SD said something along the lines of he is being proposed “strangers” from Norway and Sweden for €5M but with their budget they are looking more for players with French experience, so it’s not looking like that’s where he’ll end up.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not in the match day squad for Malmo’s champions league match against Klaksvik- I wonder if he’s injured? Hasn’t played for Malmo yet since Copa.

Might just been given some extra time off similar to Max Crepeau after a long camp and Copa. 

5 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Might just been given some extra time off similar to Max Crepeau after a long camp and Copa. 

Max Crepeau had a visa/green card issue from what they’re saying. Strange since he has very obviously worked in the US for multiple years now, but that’s what the Timbers reported. 

27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Max Crepeau had a visa/green card issue from what they’re saying. Strange since he has very obviously worked in the US for multiple years now, but that’s what the Timbers reported. 

These things expire (believe me I know).  Maybe he got caught up in the Copa and left it late. 

And on Cornelius. 

Antonio and the Czech boys (early exits) just came back West Ham yesterday.  Bowen or Areola are not back yet.  (Who knows what's up with Paqueta).  Not unusual.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

These things expire (believe me I know).  Maybe he got caught up in the Copa and left it late. 

And on Cornelius. 

Antonio and the Czech boys (early exits) just came back West Ham yesterday.  Bowen or Areola are not back yet.  Not usual.  

It would be super unfortunate for his visa to lapse mid season and especially during an international window, but our neighbours to the south do love making it hard to live there as a foreigner, that’s for sure. There’s also a small side rumour as Montreal has just traded Mason Toye to Portland for essentially “assets to be named later”, and while Montreal have about 10 more pressing needs than a new keeper, the salaries would make sense for both sides, as Toye makes a ton and I figure Max is probably getting paid well. 

I figure with how well DC plays for his club and that he did only play about 25 minutes in his last Copa game, he should be good to go. Wouldn’t figure he’d start against today’s Faroese team, but you’d expect a bench app at the least, if not today, then during this past weekend’s league match.

Malmo’s site is down so I can’t see if they released an injury report, but at least as of 5 days ago, the coach said he expected DC to return, so maybe it is a transfer thing:

Game is in the Faroe Islands and all of their other starters are either there or off the bench, so could be transfer related.

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It would be super unfortunate for his visa to lapse mid season and especially during an international window, but our neighbours to the south do love making it hard to live there as a foreigner, that’s for sure. There’s also a small side rumour as Montreal has just traded Mason Toye to Portland for essentially “assets to be named later”, and while Montreal have about 10 more pressing needs than a new keeper, the salaries would make sense for both sides, as Toye makes a ton and I figure Max is probably getting paid well. 

I figure with how well DC plays for his club and that he did only play about 25 minutes in his last Copa game, he should be good to go. Wouldn’t figure he’d start against today’s Faroese team, but you’d expect a bench app at the least, if not today, then during this past weekend’s league match.

Malmo’s site is down so I can’t see if they released an injury report, but at least as of 5 days ago, the coach said he expected DC to return, so maybe it is a transfer thing:

Game is in the Faroe Islands and all of their other starters are either there or off the bench, so could be transfer related.

Cornelius played more, later than either Bowen or Areola .  

People are allowed to take time and a lot do.  

And game is in Malmo for the first leg

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Cornelius played more, later than either Bowen or Areola .  

People are allowed to take time and a lot do.  

And game is in Malmo for the first leg

Very possible he’s just taking a break. Given Malmo are playing competitive games though, I’m surprised they'd let him stay away from the team this long. 

Just saw, Eustaquio also not in the Porto squad for their friendly today either 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Very possible he’s just taking a break. Given Malmo are playing competitive games though, I’m surprised they'd let him stay away from the team this long. 

Just saw, Eustaquio also not in the Porto squad for their friendly today either 

Thinking about it, Malmo would be different since their off season is the winter and he would have got annual leave then.

EFL/Premier League rules say you should get 5 weeks and 3 weeks in a row at some point, so if Portugal is similar Staq could technically take a while. As could David, Davies, etc. 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thinking about it, Malmo would be different since their off season is the winter and he would have got annual leave then.

EFL/Premier League rules say you should get 5 weeks and 3 weeks in a row at some point, so if Portugal is similar Staq could technically take a while. As could David, Davies, etc. 

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Our MLS guys are already all back I think, I know Laryea, Osorio, Miller, and Piette have all played so far, so I figured Swedish players would be on a similar schedule. Staq I figure is still out because it’s a meaningless friendly, so just like how I don’t think David has played in any Lille friendlies yet, they probably won’t rush him.

Either way, Malmo already up 3-0 in the first half, so hopefully we see DC for the away leg or the next round. Unless he’s saving his Champions League debut for the next team he ends up at…

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Our MLS guys are already all back I think, I know Laryea, Osorio, Miller, and Piette have all played so far, so I figured Swedish players would be on a similar schedule. Staq I figure is still out because it’s a meaningless friendly, so just like how I don’t think David has played in any Lille friendlies yet, they probably won’t rush him.

Either way, Malmo already up 3-0 in the first half, so hopefully we see DC for the away leg or the next round. Unless he’s saving his Champions League debut for the next team he ends up at…

Very good point about staying Champions eligible for a possible signing.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I brought this up in another thread and @narduch is under the impression UEFA got rid of the Cup-tie for Champions League.

I believe you are right- it was phased out a few years ago. I was mostly making a joke about DC going to a team in champions league, which (hopefully) could be the case.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I brought this up in another thread and @narduch is under the impression UEFA got rid of the Cup-tie for Champions League.

They did get rid of Cup ties in Euro club competitions. This article from Uefa mentions it.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/024e-0e9960c4c766-21ef2df7ed44-1000--can-january-signings-play-in-the-champions-league-europa-/

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

They did get rid of Cup ties in Euro club competitions. This article from Uefa mentions it.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/024e-0e9960c4c766-21ef2df7ed44-1000--can-january-signings-play-in-the-champions-league-europa-/

Think that's only partial. Not sure what happens when you announce your long roster for Champions, including some youth players, I don't think it can be touched until the end of the group stage. And not sure how preliminary rounds affect things.