Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

43 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I don't think I'll be able to take it if we go another tournament where we play admirably against better/equal teams, give it our best shot but just fall short finishing with 0 points and a token goal or 2. This is our 3rd non Gold Cup tournament and we're at 0 points after 7 games. France won a World Cup playing much less attractive football than they could have, England's made it to 2 finals doing the same and they're in a different class from us.

It’s actually our 4th and we got a point against Brazil in 2001. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think DC has had an admirable career so far. Started as a forward, then transitioned to centre back. Played for a bunch of random clubs in Europe, got a little footing in Serbia before coming home to Canada. Doesn't really have a great experience there, loaned back to Europe. Makes the most of his opportunity there just when it looks like he may have been floundering. Now he's become a key player for the Swedish champs while getting linked to clubs in bigger leagues that have qualified for Europe.

Meanwhile, he has represented Canada since u17. I remember thinking he was our best player in Toulon in 2018 and then alongside Buchanan our top performer in u23 Olympic qualifying in 2020, despite there being rumbling he himself was unhappy not to be part of the senior squad. Now he has become our #1 CB at the age of 26. Shows that professional careers, especially in soccer, can develop in fits and starts.

Cornelius (along with Bombito) has been one of the biggest bounces for the CMNT. It was always our weakest position in the past cycle or two and to have 2 youngest CBs who will be around for 2 cycles is massive for us. Part of me wonders what would have happened to us in Qatar if we had those two guys back there especially vs Belgium. I guarantee you Batshuayi isn't getting behind these two to score the winner.. 

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

What's with all the Ligue 1 interest? I know David/Kone/Bombito are french speaking which probably plays some small factor but I can't help but think that 0-0 draw with France kicked some things off.

Sans doute.

So glad Derek has finally got his time in the sun. A long time coming. I hope either the runoured Eredivisie or Ligue 1 moves happen for him. I think he has a next level.

Future is exciting at the back. Miller is a solid backup, LDF is a great hope then the u20s look promising and JKL one to watch. 

Derek was a giant this tournament though and helped Bombito. Kudos.

15 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Shaffelburg has the flash and the charisma and the whole good time maritimes thing going on but Cornelius the player of the tournament for us.

A, say 97%, solid centre back with good size and decent pace is worth his weight in gold in building a team.

Really nice to see after a few tough national and club years for him.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I know everyone is bullish on Bombito,

But imagine if we had 2 Cornelius' in our CB pairing.

You could even convince me to go for a third Cornelius' and play him up top, he used to play striker and has proven he can still score.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:58 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We will surely play on Sunday the 14th and qualifiers start on the Tuesday/Wednesday 16/17 th. 

Plenty of time to celebrate, take the flight and even get a short training session.  No?

Cathcing up on Champions League etc. qualifying that started this week and remembered posting this in reference to Cornelius playing in the final and then having a short turn around. 

Pretty incredible that we were pretty close to this wildly optimistic post that was supposed to be funny.

(Was wrong on the date somehow Malmo doesn't start their qualifying until the 23rd)

Lille do have an opening with Yoro leaving. Yoro made 44 appearances in all competitions for Lille last season, most of any defender, all while being 18 years old. Mental. Their other centre backs are Diakite (good, but only played 28 matches), Alexsandro (bad), and Umtiti (crocked). They really do need reinforcements in that area.