Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Probably me. I'm definitely less certain he'll have the success in the Eredivisie others do (while also being fascinated to see if he does make the jump), and it's statements like "possibly playing above that level" that caused me to say he's being overhyped.

See!? This is why I love this forum! I can get liquored up on a Monday evening, rant and rave about a player's "hype" status and someone will actually own up to it...and will also make me rethink why I even bothered to drunk post in the first place! Y'all are legends.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Probably me. I'm definitely less certain he'll have the success in the Eredivisie others do (while also being fascinated to see if he does make the jump), and it's statements like "possibly playing above that level" that caused me to say he's being overhyped.

Semi-recently I've seen some very bad defending from Dutch league defenders if it makes you feel any better.😉

If Pablo Fornals can dribble you...

Their ultras aren't that great either. 

8 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

See!? This is why I love this forum! I can get liquored up on a Monday evening, rant and rave about a player's "hype" status and someone will actually own up to it...and will also make me rethink why I even bothered to drunk post in the first place! Y'all are legends.

And I love the fact that it's the post part of the drunk-post that is the problem!

49 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I don't disagree.  My point was if France had scored on both of those chances - the vibe on here re: Cornelius would be very different, regardless of how the rest of the game played out.  People would have pitchforks out (unfairly), demanding LDF start against Argentina, etc.  We are a very fickle bunch.

You're not wrong, but probably not all "people".  A lot of us were supportive even after the 4 Dutch goals , I mentioned immediately following the Dutch game we needed to continue with this duo for at least 10 games and let them make mistakes, as long as they learn to play together.  That's key.  

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I'm curious as to where this "over-hyped" label even stemmed from? Regardless, calling him over-hyped because of a few mistakes against the best players on the planet? Like huh? He's clearly worthy of the Eredivisie "hype" and could possibly be playing above that level in a year or two. Can someone please explain to me what level of "hype" we're all on about here? Did someone compare him to Frank de Boer?

I don't know about all of that but what I do know is that playing in the Eredivisie would actually be good for Derek

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

That would be pretty disappointing. A marginally better club/league, but also no Champions league games.

I can't remember if I posted about FC Copenhagen or just thought about it, but either way I think it's a destination that makes sense. I love what Cornelius has done and I said before I want to see him step up for Canada to justify the hype, which he has, BUT let's be real the jump to Ajax would be massive and the jump to Feyenoord would be pretty big as well. FC Copenhagen may be a smaller jump, but it's a safer jump for our guy who needs guarenteed minutes to continue his development. 

I personally like the Feyenoord move still, kind of in between Ajax and Copenhagan, but as sexy as Ajax would be I would chose the safer option in Denmark for Derek. 

Just now, sebdeserio said:

Think he was massive in 1v1 situations and recoveries, both him and Bombito didn't look great with all the breakaways but a big part of that's gotta be on Marsch who needs to find a less suicidal way to defend.

The big chances came from individual errors.  

We need to clean those up before we can judge a system either way. 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think that's part of what I was saying.

Individual errors - Kone made too many of them - is what gave them most of their chances. 

Thought you meant from the centrebacks. Still think a bit more pragmatism is required against the current WC holders. Could play like this against Peru and Chile and have reigned it in a bit today.

4 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Thought you meant from the centrebacks. Still think a bit more pragmatism is required against the current WC holders. Could play like this against Peru and Chile and have reigned it in a bit today.

Talking that same thing on the match thread, 

I think you need to keep playing the system to 1) learn it 2) get the players to believe in it.  You give up on it when things are hard, in tournament that's really a bonus, sends lot of wrong messages. 

Besides I see teams - my club for one - try to turtle against much more talented opponents and get a shelacking all the time.  

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Talking that same thing on the match thread, 

I think you need to keep playing the system to 1) learn it 2) get the players to believe in it.  You give up on it when things are hard, in tournament that's really a bonus, sends lot of wrong messages. 

Besides I see teams - my club for one - try to turtle against much more talented opponents and get a shelacking all the time.  

I don't think I'll be able to take it if we go another tournament where we play admirably against better/equal teams, give it our best shot but just fall short finishing with 0 points and a token goal or 2. This is our 3rd non Gold Cup tournament and we're at 0 points after 7 games. France won a World Cup playing much less attractive football than they could have, England's made it to 2 finals doing the same and they're in a different class from us.

15 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I don't think I'll be able to take it if we go another tournament where we play admirably against better/equal teams, give it our best shot but just fall short finishing with 0 points and a token goal or 2. This is our 3rd non Gold Cup tournament and we're at 0 points after 7 games. France won a World Cup playing much less attractive football than they could have, England's made it to 2 finals doing the same and they're in a different class from us.

If Canada fails to get a result in this tournament it's fair to get upset, but I don't think the result against Argentina is any different if we bunker. 

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I guess if he moves from Malmo to Copenhagen, he won't actually have to move house, though.

Don’t know what his wages are but there’s a possibility he might already be living in Copenhagen, lol. 

19 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Honestly maybe its supporting the club I do my whole life ( because it was thrust upon me by family) but I can take heart break again and again.

I was asking for a clear system, we got a coach that plays one, we have to judge him on it when it gets used over a number of games. 

And I love watching the uptempo risk and reward.  We need rewards soon but I can wait a little. 

(Us trying to play like Southgate's England might be a bridge too far for my optimism😉