Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We will surely play on Sunday the 14th and qualifiers start on the Tuesday/Wednesday 16/17 th. 

Plenty of time to celebrate, take the flight and even get a short training session.  No?

If Derek Cornelius starts the game where he win Copa, surely Real Madrid will send him a private jet to take him directly to their stadium.

On 4/29/2024 at 1:03 AM, PiedPilko said:

Translation

REVEALS: New big club looking for Cornelius
fotbolldirekt-se April 28, 2024

This week FotbollDirekt could reveal interest in MFF's Derek Cornelius.  It was about the Dutch mare club Feyenoord.  Now another giant joins the hunt.

Derek Cornelius, 26, has grown into one of the Allsvenskan's absolute best centre-backs, and the Canadian is cast in Henrik Rydström's starting eleven.

In the match against Djurgården last Thursday, Cornelius was one of the absolute best on the field, and the centre-back was highly praised by FotbollDirekt's correspondent Casper Nordqvist.

"He is majestic back there for MFF and shone perhaps the most on Tele2 tonight with his natural weight and star shine," wrote Nordqvist after the match .

Last week FotbollDirekt could reveal interest in Cornelius from the Dutch Feyenoord. The big club is said to have scouted the centre-back in place on several occasions, and has been impressed by his physique.

- No, I haven't heard anything about it, but it feels like you always know more than I do. I have to call him (the agent, editor's note) and ask what's going on, said Cornelius about FD's duties after the match against Djurgården.

Now another big club, and a big rival to Feyenoord, joins the hunt.

According to information to FD, Ajax is looking for Cornelius. Reliable sources claim that he is on a list of potential signings for the summer.

Should a move to Ajax fall through, however, the 26-year-old has a lot of competition for the starting spot. That's what William Edström, Ajax expert at SvenskaFans, thinks.

"Ajax already has two left-footed centre-backs, Jorrel Hato and Ahmetcan Kaplan, who are both young and highly regarded as great talents," writes Edström in a text message to FotbollDirekt.

None of the players are expected to leave the club this summer, explains Edström, and Cornelius will have to fight to get into the eleven.

Derek Cornelius joined Malmö FF from Vancouver Whitecaps in February 2023. He has a contract with MFF through the 2026 season.

42 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Translation

REVEALS: New big club looking for Cornelius
fotbolldirekt-se April 28, 2024

This week FotbollDirekt could reveal interest in MFF's Derek Cornelius.  It was about the Dutch mare club Feyenoord.  Now another giant joins the hunt.

Derek Cornelius, 26, has grown into one of the Allsvenskan's absolute best centre-backs, and the Canadian is cast in Henrik Rydström's starting eleven.

In the match against Djurgården last Thursday, Cornelius was one of the absolute best on the field, and the centre-back was highly praised by FotbollDirekt's correspondent Casper Nordqvist.

"He is majestic back there for MFF and shone perhaps the most on Tele2 tonight with his natural weight and star shine," wrote Nordqvist after the match .

Last week FotbollDirekt could reveal interest in Cornelius from the Dutch Feyenoord. The big club is said to have scouted the centre-back in place on several occasions, and has been impressed by his physique.

- No, I haven't heard anything about it, but it feels like you always know more than I do. I have to call him (the agent, editor's note) and ask what's going on, said Cornelius about FD's duties after the match against Djurgården.

Now another big club, and a big rival to Feyenoord, joins the hunt.

According to information to FD, Ajax is looking for Cornelius. Reliable sources claim that he is on a list of potential signings for the summer.

Should a move to Ajax fall through, however, the 26-year-old has a lot of competition for the starting spot. That's what William Edström, Ajax expert at SvenskaFans, thinks.

"Ajax already has two left-footed centre-backs, Jorrel Hato and Ahmetcan Kaplan, who are both young and highly regarded as great talents," writes Edström in a text message to FotbollDirekt.

None of the players are expected to leave the club this summer, explains Edström, and Cornelius will have to fight to get into the eleven.

Derek Cornelius joined Malmö FF from Vancouver Whitecaps in February 2023. He has a contract with MFF through the 2026 season.

I would also add a warning against Ajax to that.

Having missed out on Europe, was just reading that they are not sure they can pay some of their big earners, namely Jordan Henderson and Bergwijn.  Makes bouncing back less easy, if true. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s Sweden, it’s probably $36 a beer (equivalent to working 24 minutes at minimum wage)

Sweden is quite a bit cheaper than Norway, and the most a beer in a pub I saw was maybe €10.

Transfermarkt says a 0.4 l Carlsberg at their stadium is just over 7€.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/malmo-ff/stadion/verein/496

Since when does transfermarkt have this info?

Saw this in the Canadians abroad thread, but didn't want to clutter it with commentary on Derek.

What I want to say is that all this praise, saying how he's so much better than the competition, and how he's arguably the best CB Malmo has ever had, man this is some serious praise that is almost hard to believe. Don't get me wrong, I rate Cornelius and I think he deserves more chances to start for Canada, but it's also hard for me to reconcile the idea that one of the so-called best CBs Malmo has ever had isn't a locked-in starter for Canada. We're not talking Sweden or some other equally strong European team, we are talking Canada, a team who's current weakness is the defense. 

Now, maybe that's just a testament to how far Canada has come, how small a pond Swedish club football is, or both, I am not sure. Either way, all the praise is getting hard to believe without seeing Cornelius ball out for Canada. He's been fine, but hasn't yet been dominant, let alone a consistant starter. 

What do you guys think? Is it just me? The Feyenoord and Ajax links seem to justify the praise from Malmo fans, but how legit were those rumours? How legit is the Cornelius praise. Would love to hear some opinions on it. 

Cornelius has been hard done by IMO.  He always looked solid whenever he has played and he is miles faster than Vittoria. He lacked Vittoria’s leadership but perhaps that has been taken care of with Malmo as he has evolved.  He isn’t as good in the air but he isn’t poor either. I am hoping that he gets every opportunity to prove himself going forward and if he starts at a major Eredivisie club he would have the best pedigree of our current pool without a doubt.  Would love it if the MLS guys were there to fill out the roster unless they are a Zimmerman type all star or a Moise Bombito with a ton of upside. It’s Derek’s time to shine, hope Marsch gives him the chance.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Saw this in the Canadians abroad thread, but didn't want to clutter it with commentary on Derek.

What I want to say is that all this praise, saying how he's so much better than the competition, and how he's arguably the best CB Malmo has ever had, man this is some serious praise that is almost hard to believe. Don't get me wrong, I rate Cornelius and I think he deserves more chances to start for Canada, but it's also hard for me to reconcile the idea that one of the so-called best CBs Malmo has ever had isn't a locked-in starter for Canada. We're not talking Sweden or some other equally strong European team, we are talking Canada, a team who's current weakness is the defense. 

Now, maybe that's just a testament to how far Canada has come, how small a pond Swedish club football is, or both, I am not sure. Either way, all the praise is getting hard to believe without seeing Cornelius ball out for Canada. He's been fine, but hasn't yet been dominant, let alone a consistant starter. 

What do you guys think? Is it just me? The Feyenoord and Ajax links seem to justify the praise from Malmo fans, but how legit were those rumours? How legit is the Cornelius praise. Would love to hear some opinions on it. 

Or maybe he should just be played in his usual LCB for Canada vs RCB? He needs to get a string of games in consecutively. The quality of the league is debatable but regardless he's our most in form CB and Malmo are the top team in Sweden.  

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think I'd take it with a grain of salt.  Not that he isn't playing well or that there's some interesting transfer rumours. But we've all been guilty of over-hyping someone we've seen, and that's what this tweet feels like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 4:23 PM, Watchmen said:

I think I'd take it with a grain of salt.  Not that he isn't playing well or that there's some interesting transfer rumours. But we've all been guilty of over-hyping someone we've seen, and that's what this tweet feels like.

How you feeling about that tweet today?

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

How you feeling about that tweet today?

I'm fine with it.

He was singled out by OneSoccer as making poor plays on 2 of the Netherlands 4 goals.

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Hindsight etc. but fun reminder that the Whitecaps protected Ricketts, Nerwinski and Teibert over Cornelius for Austin FC's expansion draft - the one where they took Miller.

TBH, he was a pretty inconsistent performer with the Caps. However, he'd immediately go to the bench after a down performance while Andy Rose took over, have goal causing errors, but still get the next start or starts because he was viewed as a "coach on the field" (according to Schaad and Dolan in every f'en broadcast!).

That's the past and it's over now. The present and future is that he is the starting LCB for the Copa and hopefully beyond.  Great to see.