David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Six competitive losses in a row for Dunfermline Athletic to start the season, with only one goal scored over those six matches.

I believe Spoony has played in all six matches. I have no idea if he's been bad or if it's just the rest of the team.

Bottom of the table in the League.

Dunfermline were tipped by many pundits to be in the relegation zone as the club is up for sale.  They are having to bring in lots of loan players, which although is not uncommon at this level, is only being done more now as the squad is apparently very short on quality.

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny (and I guess expected) that Wotherspoon is more fondly remembered than Arfield.

Both came from a similar background and played roughly the same amount of time for Canada, with a comparable number of caps (13 Wotherspoon vs 19 for Arfield), but I guess the difference is that Wotherspoon was on the WC squad, while Arfield called it quits ahead of qualifying for Qatar. 

If you were to ask me at the beginning who would have the bigger impact on Canada, Arfield would have been a no-brainer. Very clearly Arfield had the better club career, and was even the Canadian captain for a brief period, but despite all that is not held in the same esteem Spoony.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's funny (and I guess expected) that Wotherspoon is more fondly remembered than Arfield.

Both came from a similar background and played roughly the same amount of time for Canada, with a comparable number of caps (13 Wotherspoon vs 19 for Arfield), but I guess the difference is that Wotherspoon was on the WC squad, while Arfield called it quits ahead of qualifying for Qatar. 

If you were to ask me at the beginning who would have the bigger impact on Canada, Arfield would have been a no-brainer. Very clearly Arfield had the better club career, and was even the Canadian captain for a brief period, but despite all that is not held in the same esteem Spoony.

Wotherspoon didn't participate in WCQ because of injury, but no one doubted he wanted to be there.  Was thrilled when he got on the pitch at the WC, even if it was brief.  What a moment for him.  Still remember St Johnstone tweeting out about how he was their first ever player to play in a WC game.

Arfield didn't participate in WCQ for "reasons", and honestly this board spent way too much time worrying about a guy who didn't want to play for us, at a time when we had plenty of talented people who did.  We haven't missed him.

58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think its a case of more people feeling negative about Arfield than really positive about Wotherspoon.  Arfield did have some very good games for us, and was effective but wasnt involved in all the WCQ success under Herdman so most of what he did isnt as impactful.  But it did help pull us out of the dark dark times, along with Tesho, Larin et al. 

I have nothing against spoony but I dont remember him doing much in his time for Canada.  It was great to see him rewarded at the WC and I'm glad the switch worked for him, but Arfield had more of an impact on the field for Canada in his brief run.  Plus Arfield joining prob had something to do with Spoony (and other later) choosing Canada.