Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Is Gauld actually interested or is this wishful thinking?

He was asked and said he’s not answering that question….

believe it was phrased as does he want to play in the WC for us….

and he replied that he wasn’t answering, so obviously he does and there’s smoke, but he hasn’t ruled out Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He was asked and said he’s not answering that question….

believe it was phrased as does he want to play in the WC for us….

and he replied that he wasn’t answering, so obviously he does and there’s smoke, but he hasn’t ruled out Scotland.

To me that sounds like he isn't interested 

I think some of you are over analyzing Gauld's quote.

This guy will have the chance for being called up for the WCQ by Scotland, and if he doesn't, he will have Canada as an option before the World Cup.

Seriously doubt that he is likely to ever be eligible given this is what appears on the Whitecaps website:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/players/ryan-gauld/

International, Designated Player

If he had permanent resident status he wouldn't be using an international roster spot because players on PR have the same status in Canadian employment legislation terms as those with citizenship. If he doesn't have PR status he is not eligible to apply for citizenship until well after he does so the 2026 World Cup is likely a complete non-starter where the CMNT is concerned. A lot of the media coverage on this topic initially came from Scotland where the system for players from overseas acquiring UK citizenship is different and a lot easier to accomplish. I suspect he answered questions in the past not knowing how it works in a Canadian context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

17 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seriously doubt that he is likely to ever be eligible given this is what appears on the Whitecaps website:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/players/ryan-gauld/

International, Designated Player

If he had permanent resident status he wouldn't be using an international roster spot because players on PR have the same status in Canadian employment legislation terms as those with citizenship. If he doesn't have PR status he is not eligible to apply for citizenship until well after he does so the 2026 World Cup is likely a complete non-starter where the CMNT is concerned. A lot of the media coverage on this topic initially came from Scotland where the system for players from overseas acquiring UK citizenship is different and a lot easier to accomplish. I suspect he answered questions in the past not knowing how it works in a Canadian context.

That's a rule for the US. It is explicitly mentioned in their homegrown rules, not ours.

"U.S.-based clubs: For U.S. clubs, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (i.e., a Green Card holder), the holder of a certain other special status (e.g., has been granted refugee or asylum status) or a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule. There is no limit as to the number of U.S. Domestic Players on a U.S. club's roster.

Canada-based clubs: For Canadian clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status), a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule, or a U.S. Domestic Player."

"In addition, the following applies:

U.S.-based clubs: Any Player who obtains U.S. permanent residency while employed by MLS will be considered a domestic Player for the applicable Season if such residency is established or the Player has appeared for an immigrant visa interview by the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window (July 18, 2024)"

Those are the only mentions of permenant residency. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

...Canada-based clubs: For Canadian clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status), a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule, or a U.S. Domestic Player."...

The reason he wouldn't be listed as a domestic player on the Whitecaps website would be that he is a UK citizen in Canada on a temporary work visa. You cannot turn that status into citizenship no matter how long you keep getting that renewed and eventually when your employer no longer wants to renew it you have to leave the country. Canada has a much stricter system on acquiring permanent resident status than the American's green card system that talented players in MLS or even in USL can often quite easily apply for so they obtain domestic status. Being a professional soccer player wouldn't get an applicant very far where the points system for acquiring PR is concerned.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The reason he wouldn't be listed as a domestic player on the Whitecaps website would be that he is a UK citizen in Canada on a temporary work visa. You cannot turn that status into citizenship no matter how long you keep getting that renewed and eventually when your employer no longer wants to renew it you have to leave the country. Canada has a much stricter system on acquiring permanent resident status than the American's green card system that talented players in MLS or even in USL can often quite easily apply for so they obtain domestic status. Being a professional soccer player wouldn't get an applicant very far where the points system for acquiring PR is concerned.

He is not listed as a domestic player because he's not a citizen or a special case as the rules state.

Again

Even if he were/is a permanent resident, it would not matter because he is at a Canadian club.   The rules are different, explicitly. 

14 minutes ago, P-O said:

He has to be in Canada 730 days before applying. I believe he should be close, since he obviously doesn't spend the off-season here.

I provided the link on the last page to the official government website on this. You must have permanent resident status. If you don't you cannot apply regardless of how long you are in the country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html#time

Regardless of your age, if you’re applying for citizenship, you must have permanent resident (PR) status in Canada.

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Even if he were/is a permanent resident, it would not matter because he is at a Canadian club.   The rules are different, explicitly. 

That's not how Canadian employment legislation works. MLS would not be able to get away with that. There's been an oversight on what has been put on a website somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That's not how Canadian employment legislation works. MLS would not be able to get away with that. There's been an oversight on what has been put on a website somewhere.

It has nothing to do with Canadian employment legislation. If you don't think MLS has been getting away with different rules for Canada and the States...not sure what to say. 

Yes the official sites are wrong and you an internet hobbyist are right.  Come on, mate. 

You made an incorrect statement about his status on a football site neccesarily indicating his immigration status. Full stop.

Elsewhere on MLS websites:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2023-mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Canada-based clubs: Any Player who obtains U.S. or Canadian permanent residency while employed by MLS will be considered a domestic Player for the applicable Season if such residency is granted or the Player has appeared for an immigrant visa interview by the Roster Compliance date (Feb. 24, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET).

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Elsewhere on MLS websites:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2023-mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Canada-based clubs: Any Player who obtains U.S. or Canadian permanent residency while employed by MLS will be considered a domestic Player for the applicable Season if such residency is granted or the Player has appeared for an immigrant visa interview by the Roster Compliance date (Feb. 24, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET).

Over a year old rules.

I quoted the ones that apply.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can anyone point to the Canadian employment legislation change that would allow them to get away with a change on this?

Surely that would  be something you know offhand since you were telling us what's what with that legislation, just a few posts earlier. 

I know getting you to just say you made a simple mistake (we all do it) is out of the realm of possibilty - so have a great day. 

He’s obviously not going to come out and say that he wants to play for Canada, something he would no longer be eligible for if Vancouver traded him or if he was able to get a move abroad. Plus, if he’s good enough for us, why couldn’t he just play for Scotland? Their euro squad had domestic and championship forwards. Surely an MLS MVP candidate is better than them? 

Don’t see why everyone is so keen on him playing for us. A 30 year old MLS guy? Sure he’s nice, but I don’t know if he’s a difference maker for us.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t see why everyone is so keen on him playing for us. A 30 year old MLS guy? Sure he’s nice, but I don’t know if he’s a difference maker for us.

Not knowing the player I would agree with your sentiment but in the Footy Prime video (13:25) I posted, Stephen Hart and Jim Brennan seem to think he would be a key addition in helping the attack in the middle.

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s obviously not going to come out and say that he wants to play for Canada, something he would no longer be eligible for if Vancouver traded him or if he was able to get a move abroad. Plus, if he’s good enough for us, why couldn’t he just play for Scotland? Their euro squad had domestic and championship forwards. Surely an MLS MVP candidate is better than them? 

Put it this way - a 28 year old Ryan Gauld is definitely a difference maker.   So good on the ball, and such great vision.   He immediately would make our entire attacking line better, and his ability to drop deep and spray passes forward would free up Jonny David to do what he does best - find spaces and score.  Swap him in for Oso and I think we would find goals immediately.

Admittedly he has some hard miles on him (he runs his tail off every game) so I don't know what he'd be like in two years.  But even a slightly slower version would be a huge upgrade for us.

As for why Scotland has never called, you're right, it's a mystery and I don't even want to know why.  For his sake, I feel bad, but for our sake, I hope it stays that way.   

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Over a year old rules.

I quoted the ones that apply.

Meanwhile in MLS Next Pro in 2024:

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/about/roster-guidelines

...Canada-based Clubs: For Canadian Clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen, a Canadian permanent resident, or the holder of certain other special status (for example, has been granted refugee or asylum status) or a U.S. Domestic player. For players who obtain U.S. or Canadian permanent residency while employed by a MLS NEXT Pro Club, the Player will be considered a domestic player for a Canadian Club if such residency is granted or the Player has appeared for an immigrant visa interview by the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window in 2024 (i.e., by 11:59pm ET on July 17, 2024) and by the Roster Compliance Date in 2024 and onward. There is no limit as to the number of U.S. Domestic players or Canadian Domestic players on a Canadian Club's Roster...

But it couldn't possibly be a case of some intern messing up what was placed on the MLS website.