Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

The former Dundee United and Sporting Libson midfielder would become eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship if he remains with the Whitecaps until the end of 2025. That could see the ex-Hibs loanee make an appearance at the World Cup in 2026 with Canada automatically qualifying for the tournament as one of the host nations.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Really?  I was convinced they were getting their intel from us.  Might have changed since Blue?

I mean  board doesn’t even have stuff first. With the changes in player recruitment and scouting databases available to clubs I’m sure there are others. There were a few players  found back when Gale was in charge of the U17’s and he mentioned they were already aware and following.

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

Gauld would be so damn good in this squad. 
does anyone know how fast the approval process is? Is it realistic that he could be playing / practicing with the squad in early 26?

I remember this article about his situation from one year ago:

Whitecaps: Yes, Gauld could play for Canada, but there may be no point | The Province

FIFA’s eligibility rules have changed over the years and can at times feel Byzantine, but the simple answer in Gauld’s case is that if he remains uncapped at the senior level by Scotland, he can switch to Canada once he’s lived in Canada for five years and has also gained Canadian citizenship.

Here’s the thing, though: five years from his July 31, 2021 signing with the Whitecaps would be July 31, 2026, which is 12 days after the final of the 2026 FIFA World Cup — hosted by Canada, the USA and Mexico — is scheduled to be played.

He said about 10 so there’s 9, and some may help the team now, about 3-4…

so

Jebbison

Koleosho

Sigur

Farsi

From there id think there’s a depth piece or 2, as in Abzi, Goodman

After that maybe Dan Nimick ?

not sure whom else there really is I don’t consider the guys who have stated they want to play for us as duals.

Kind of interesting that there isn't anyone that currently can walk into our team. There is certainly a lot of potential in Sigur, Jebbison and Koleosho. And then some decent depth options.

One guy I brought up before is Dapo Afolayan. Played a couple years at TFC academy as well as ANB Futbol and University of Toronto. Was here from about the age of 16-18. Will play for St. Pauli in the Bundesliga this year. There has to be some way that he can be eligible.

If they can be convinced Sigur and Koleosho for sure. I'd agree with @Norrin Radd Koleosho would be an immense depth piece for us in an area that is maybe a bit of a sleeper area when it comes to weakness. 

Sigurs versatility would be good though.

Hopefully there are a few on the list that aren't on our radar, like Ugbo popping up.

12 hours ago, Floortom said:

Gauld would be so damn good in this squad. 
does anyone know how fast the approval process is? Is it realistic that he could be playing / practicing with the squad in early 26?

Gauld fits the profile Marsch is looking for, for sure. And he seems like a great team player, hard working, fit, and talented. And smart.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Gauld fits the profile Marsch is looking for, for sure. And he seems like a great team player, hard working, fit, and talented. And smart.

Does anyone know if he actually has Permanent Resident status at this point? Think a lot of the press speculation on this has come from people who don't understand how the processes for achieving that and citzenship work in a Canadian context:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/ryan-gauld-cites-rangers-example-as-mls-star-considers-switching-allegience-after-scotland-snub-4095339

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think the running timeline is he would become eligible for us right before the WC in 2026, but I could be wrong.

He has been residing in Canada since July 2021. I ruling I found on an immigration site:

"You must have physically been in Canada for at least 1,095 days (three years) out of the last five years before applying for citizenship..."  

He fulfills the Canadian requirements for citizenship. Now it depends on FIFA's ruling.

36 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The timeline on those 1095 days doesn't start if he is only in the country on a temporary work visa. He needs to have permanent resident status. The older name for that was "landed immigrant".

The site made no mention of permanent resident status.

Edited by Sal333