Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Is thus the change we are waiting for in regards to people like Tom Holmes? 

https://globalnews.ca/news/10519355/citizenship-bill-canada/

Can imagine we might see at least a handful or two of other players pop into our playing pool once this passes.

Seems like the government is dragging it's feet though and it will be too soon for anyone to join us this summer. In the fall maybe through.

36 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Is thus the change we are waiting for in regards to people like Tom Holmes? 

https://globalnews.ca/news/10519355/citizenship-bill-canada/

Can imagine we might see at least a handful or two of other players pop into our playing pool once this passes.

Seems like the government is dragging it's feet though and it will be too soon for anyone to join us this summer. In the fall maybe through.

Not sure if one of Holmes' parents spent 3 years in Canada, which seems to be a part of the law that the government is trying to pass to fulfill the requirement of the court ruling.   Deadline is June 19.  

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure if one of Holmes' parents spent 3 years in Canada, which seems to be a part of the law that the government is trying to pass to fulfill the requirement of the court ruling.   Deadline is June 19.  

Maybe it was a different rule that has happened that affected Holmes. I thought his link to us was through a grandparent?

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Maybe it was a different rule that has happened that affected Holmes. I thought his link to us was through a grandparent?

It is. But to pass down citizenship (in his case I think from grandparent to parent and then parent to him) the law that is proposed  would require the parent, in any step, to have lived in Canada for 3 years before the child was born.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is. But to pass down citizenship (in his case I think from grandparent to parent and then parent to him) the law that is proposed  would require the parent, in any step, to have lived in Canada for 3 years before the child was born.

That's only part of the bill. You overlooked the rest of it.

You can compensate for the three year residency if you watched HNIC for 5 years on British television, or used maple syrup for two years to mask the taste of British cuisine, or lusted after only Rachel McAdams, Pamela Anderson, and Betty Kennedy.

Edited by Sal333

Posted (edited)

What if you fantasized about watching HNIC while you and Rachel McAdams poured maple syrup over each other? Does that count? Should count for something…

Edited by shorty

9 minutes ago, shorty said:

What if you fantasized about watching HNIC while you and Rachel McAdams poured maple syrup over each other? Does that count? Should count for something…

Had a visceral reaction that made me want change countries with that one.

(Probably just because I can't stand even the idea of being sticky).

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

That's only part of the bill. You overlooked the rest of it.

You can compensate for the three year residency if you watched HNIC for 5 years on British television, or used maple syrup for two years to mask the taste of British cuisine, or lusted after only Rachel McAdams, Pamela Anderson, and Betty Kennedy.

On a semi serious note, I will go to the mat to defend British cuisine, they learned probably 50 years you don't need to boil everything to death and make some really nice stuff.

The bonus is you can afford to buy most of it unlike here these days.

28 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Had a visceral reaction that made me want change countries with that one.

(Probably just because I can't stand even the idea of being sticky).

😂 I was going for the follow up laugh. Although I do find Rachel both pretty and hilarious, I’m with you on the sticky aversion.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

My bad. I forgot that one. The period is shortened to a week for that particular case.

Now, if instead of fantasizing, you actually watch HNIC while you and Rachel pour maple syrup over each other, the period is shortened to two nights. (Rachel insisted on it.)

31 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Now, if instead of fantasizing, you actually watch HNIC while you and Rachel pour maple syrup over each other, the period is shortened to two nights. (Rachel insisted on it.)

God love her. She’s a real patriot. 😂  

Honestly she was SO funny in Eurovision with Will Ferrell. Brilliant. And I can often take or leave Ferrell. Makes me proud to be Icelandic, sorry, I mean Canadian. 

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good god the roster can’t drop fast enough 

Sure, sure, pretend like you wouldn't want it to be true. We all know your wife is standing beside you, peering over your shoulder.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Sure, sure, pretend like you wouldn't want it to be true. We all know your wife is standing beside you, peering over your shoulder.

My girlfriend is indeed peering over my shoulder, but it’s because she wants to learn from my pristine and perfect soccer takes 

54 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

My girlfriend is indeed peering over my shoulder, but it’s because she wants to learn from my pristine and perfect soccer takes 

You hear the one: behind every successful man, there's a surprised woman. 

Texted Rachel to see if she was free this weekend, but says she already has a date to watch hockey all weekend with some guy named Tom.  Bummer.

Oh, and the roster drops Monday, apparently.  

🤣

Have my doubts we bring anyone new that we typically chat about.... but if we do it'll probably be Jebbison. 

He's "healthy" now and just played 20 Premier League minutes for Sheffield, so he should be eligible if he wants (and if we want him). And with all the time missed due to poor health, I really don't see him holding out for the England Sr. team if we are approaching him now, inviting him to come out with the team, for friendly matches against the likes of Netherlands and France.

That's a big opportunity career wise, if he can manage to get into either of these games and do well. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

... but if we do it'll probably be Jebbison. 

Isn't he out of contract with Sheffield? I assume he hasn't yet signed the offer to extend. It would be risky to throw him out there vs Netherlands/France given that 20 mins is all he has played this season.  Perhaps he comes to train with the squad though.

26 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Isn't he out of contract with Sheffield? I assume he hasn't yet signed the offer to extend. It would be risky to throw him out there vs Netherlands/France given that 20 mins is all he has played this season.  Perhaps he comes to train with the squad though.

It is still (surprisingly?) up in the air with Sheffield United.  They want him and have offered him a contract and they announced a bunch of others that are leaving last week but radio silence this week. 

The striker landscape is looking a little less crowded that it has been for a lot of his time as a senior player. 

McBurnie who has been there forever is in the same contract (and similar injury) situation but has reportedly only been offered a substantial pay cut.  He was on the bench but did not feature when Jebbison did on Sunday. 

Aston Villa are obligated to buy back Cameron Archer (I believe it's a relegation thing).

Brereton Díaz (who can play striker) is headed back to Spain.

That leaves William Osula (same age as Jebbison and was in the u21s with him) and oft-injured Liverpool academy big buy Rhian Brewster.  Neither had a league goal this year. 

Not the worst place to be but maybe its a money thing or a club trust thing.