Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Dual prospecting update:

Sigur - Rumour is he is turned and joining in september. 

Jebbison - Looks likely to commit but when? Lots of half clues that hes switching soon as his club list him as canadian. 

Koleosho - Although unlikely, now is probably the best chance we had since he came to camps. 

Farsi - Lost

Flores - lost... is he permanently cap tied? 

Abzi/Pos/sali/jimoh/grady/gauld/promise/kulenovic/kahn/JDG2/Kulenovic/colyn/smth/lopez etc. too early to tell if they are worthy of a CMNT call up. 

Can anyone add anything?

I wonder if these dual nationals take into account how like 95% of what’s said about them comes from Canadian sources into their decisions. Like, if you search Niko Sigur on Twitter, nearly every tweet is from a CANMNT fan account talking about him, and if you google his name, this thread is the 5th result after his Transfermarkt page, his Wikipedia, his Instagram and his York University page. Obviously my results are skewed because I’m searching from Canada and not Croatia, but I doubt there are hundreds of posts about him on the HRMNT (?) forum wherever that may be. Wonder if these guys who name search (they all do) ever go like “damn… these Canadians really do love me huh”

1 minute ago, jordan said:

He’s not eligible, some hope he will

I think he's eligible for permanent residency which could lead to citizenship if he chose.  Most likely wouldn't acquire it before 2026 though. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

But those 3 were always eligible for Canada. Gauld was provisionally capped prior to being eligible.

Yeah I don’t think he’s eligible as I said above. But it’s fifa and things always change. He offers something different though if he was ever eligible.

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Josh Kloke of the athletic has reported than both Jared and Peter Stroud are eligible to play for Canada, both would welcome the opportunity.

Do either of these guys make our squad?  Peter is 22 so still lots of time to progress but Jared is 28 and I have never heard of him.  Not to be negative, but American MLS journeymen aren't really the type of dual nats I want us pursuing.  Maybe they are a package deal and Peter has enough upside to warrant it - I don't know.  Or maybe I just don't pay enough attention to MLS to know that these guys warrant consideration.  But it seems like we have enough Canadian players and prospects that our dual nat efforts should be focused o the guys that can really add quality.  We aren't collecting Pokemon.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Do either of these guys make our squad?  Peter is 22 so still lots of time to progress but Jared is 28 and I have never heard of him.  Not to be negative, but American MLS journeymen aren't really the type of dual nats I want us pursuing.  Maybe they are a package deal and Peter has enough upside to warrant it - I don't know.  Or maybe I just don't pay enough attention to MLS to know that these guys warrant consideration.  But it seems like we have enough Canadian players and prospects that our dual nat efforts should be focused o the guys that can really add quality.  We aren't collecting Pokemon.  

Peter began the year as a starter in midfield for Red Bulls before getting injured. At only 22 I think he would warrant a call up if he returns to form when healthy.

Jared is a decent MLS journeyman but doesn’t provide anything we don’t already have imo. Maybe worth a gold cup call up if some of our guys don’t want to attend.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Think Peter is the one we’d want to land long term, seems like RB really do rate him. 

Think Jared is a different type who can help in different spots over the pitch.