Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The exact details of the system may have changed over the last 30 years but I definitely wasn't allowed to apply for citizenship for at least a couple of years after that because those five years pre-PR didn't count in the calculation of days. 

A lot of things in this country are changing. You may want to take a look to see if those rules have changed. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

The closest equivalent on our team is probably Osorio.

Thing is, he plays the same position as Osorio (CAM) but the way he plays it is just not the same at all.  He is much faster, and so good on the counter.  He's also a great finisher in his own right.  Takes set pieces, PKs.  Osorio is very good at the intricate one-touch passes in tight spaces (and tbf, Gauld is no slouch at that either), but when it comes to pace, work rate, picking out passes/crosses, etc. they really don't compare.  And at the risk of being called Anthony, I'll leave it at that.  😉

I like Osorio more than most, and they are different players, but Gauld is overall a better player. If you were to stick him in the current team his starting competition would be Larin (I would start him over Larin 10/10 times). I think you'd kick off a striker like JRR or Bair to accommodate him in the overall squad, not a midfielder.

7 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Was hoping we had some fun dual nat news, maybe an uncovered gem I could be excited about before becoming disappointed in a year or two. Turns out it’s just 2+ pages of debate on permanent residency / citizenship 🤣

Which is what determines whether a player like Ryan Gauld is ever likely to be eligible. If he doesn't have PR status this discussion is a waste of time in his case and is just a case of idle daydreaming. If he had moved to an MLS club in the United States he likely could easily have got a green card by now but the Canadian immigration system is looking for specific skills and being a professional soccer player isn't one of them.

Think you'll find that the players who have been able to do it in recent times like Daryl Fordyce have tended to be dependent on their wife's qualifications and work experience to generate the necessary points. The way Ryan Gauld could likely get in if he has been saving money sensibly is through the investment in a Canadian business pathway but it would narrow his options in terms of his soccer career so I'm skeptical that would happen until his playing days are over.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

17 hours ago, jonovision said:

The closest equivalent on our team is probably Osorio.

Having seen a tonne of Osorio and quite a bit of Gauld, ya, sorry, no.  The only similarity would be they do most of their work higher up the pitch, but it ends there. 

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Having seen a tonne of Osorio and quite a bit of Gauld, ya, sorry, no.  The only similarity would be they do most of their work higher up the pitch, but it ends there. 

Not saying they are similar players, but they do occupy the same space on the pitch or within an formation.

In either case, I don't expect we ever see Gauld in a Canada shirt.

40 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Losing a player like Grady will always be a shame. Born and raised here, learned the game here, given a pro contract here etc. His ties to Ireland are a grandparent afaik

Don’t think the kid is lost yet, a lot of players switched from Ireland…. We are better than them.

but from a youth standpoint, they just play so much more and there’s more exposure. 

we’re going to see this until our youth program is really up and running.

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Read on Twitter that Marsel Bibishkov is leaving Juventus for York United on a permanent deal. Wouldn’t hurt our chances. 

Great move for him if he gets minutes.

Does he have a Canada passport?

4 minutes ago, P-O said:

Great move for him if he gets minutes.

Does he have a Canada passport?

According to Wikipedia, Football Manager and Transfermarkt he does. 

He’s highly rated but it will be challenging to get minutes. York is rolling and will only have 9 games left in their season plus playoffs. For a 17 year old to break in and earn significant minutes over established pros at this stage would be impressive. York has already met their u21 minutes for the year so no luck in getting charity minutes. 

Edited by CanadaFan123