Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t see why everyone is so keen on him playing for us. A 30 year old MLS guy? Sure he’s nice, but I don’t know if he’s a difference maker for us.

Answered your own question lol.

And here's the thing, he doesn't necessarily have to be a difference maker for us to be keen on him playing for us. If he is a difference maker, than awesome, but if he is just an upgrade on player x, then we've improved our squad, which is what it's all about. We are all keen for the squad to keep improving. 

That said, I do think it's questionable just how much of an upgrade he would be come 2026.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good player we are talking about, but things can change in two years and nobody knows the future. He'll be 30 years old in two years, so will he be more effective, less effective? Will his game evolve and how would that fit into what Marsch wants?

We also don't know how other players in the squad will develop, or what unknown Canadian out there could bring.

But, as things currently stand, he would be an excellent piece to add, and would probably be a difference maker for us. 

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

One thing I didn't notice until now was that Sigur got into the preliminary list for Croatia's Euro squad.

Seems he's very close to making the senior team.

And not to be a debbie downer, but with how Croatia crashed out of the Euros, there could be midfield changes in the near future.

That said, I believe there are a couple of midfielders in his age cohort that have surpassed him recently, one of them a teammate, I think. Someone following more closely could comment...

54 minutes ago, GasPed said:

As for why Scotland has never called, you're right, it's a mystery and I don't even want to know why.  For his sake, I feel bad, but for our sake, I hope it stays that way.   

It is strange, because Scotland doesn't have a significantly deeper pool than ours. I don't think they're in a position to be anti-MLS snobs (not that I think they are), but what are we seeing that they don't? He was a highly valued prospect, he came up through their youth system, played at some very strong clubs, but not even a single cap for a team that looked like they were arguably the worst at these past euros? 

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Answered your own question lol.

And here's the thing, he doesn't necessarily have to be a difference maker for us to be keen on him playing for us. If he is a difference maker, than awesome, but if he is just an upgrade on player x, then we've improved our squad, which is what it's all about. We are all keen for the squad to keep improving. 

That said, I do think it's questionable just how much of an upgrade he would be come 2026.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good player we are talking about, but things can change in two years and nobody knows the future. He'll be 30 years old in two years, so will he be more effective, less effective? Will his game evolve and how would that fit into what Marsch wants?

We also don't know how other players in the squad will develop, or what unknown Canadian out there could bring.

But, as things currently stand, he would be an excellent piece to add, and would probably be a difference maker for us. 

And you answered mine here too!

I think any player who is good enough should play, and if he wants to play and we want to play him, then we should do that. We also have a ton of young forwards who we expect to grow over the next few years. Anything can happen which is why depth is important, but who are people benching for Gauld at the 2026 world cup? Honest question. We play all of our current wingers for very specific reasons, so I don't know who gets dropped for him. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It is strange, because Scotland doesn't have a significantly deeper pool than ours. I don't think they're in a position to be anti-MLS snobs (not that I think they are), but what are we seeing that they don't? He was a highly valued prospect, he came up through their youth system, played at some very strong clubs, but not even a single cap for a team that looked like they were arguably the worst at these past euros? 

And you answered mine here too!

I think any player who is good enough should play, and if he wants to play and we want to play him, then we should do that. We also have a ton of young forwards who we expect to grow over the next few years. Anything can happen which is why depth is important, but who are people benching for Gauld at the 2026 world cup? Honest question. We play all of our current wingers for very specific reasons, so I don't know who gets dropped for him. 

Lewis Morgan and Johnny Russell should have been bigger parts of their national team. Particularly since Scotland don't score a lot of goals and both have been very good. Morgan only got into the Euro squad because of an injury too.

The fact both have mostly been overlooked, along with Gauld is evidence that they have some sort of Anti-MLS bias. They would rather call up guys playing League One football than MLS.

And well look at them they're always disappointments when thy do get to tournaments.

Just now, VinceA said:

Lewis Morgan and Johnny Russell should have been bigger parts of their national team. Particularly since Scotland don't score a lot of goals and both have been very good. Morgan only got into the Euro squad because of an injury too.

The fact both have mostly been overlooked, along with Gauld is evidence that they have some sort of Anti-MLS bias. They would rather call up guys playing League One football than MLS.

And well look at them they're always disappointments when thy do get to tournaments.

It's like they have England-level bias towards MLS without English-level talent.

Long may it continue. We've benefitted from Arfield and Wotherspoon already. Gauld would arguably be the most talented get for us. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s obviously not going to come out and say that he wants to play for Canada, something he would no longer be eligible for if Vancouver traded him or if he was able to get a move abroad. Plus, if he’s good enough for us, why couldn’t he just play for Scotland? Their euro squad had domestic and championship forwards. Surely an MLS MVP candidate is better than them? 

Don’t see why everyone is so keen on him playing for us. A 30 year old MLS guy? Sure he’s nice, but I don’t know if he’s a difference maker for us.

I haven't seen every game he has played in the MLS but the couple of dozen I have seen tell me he would bring a profile we do not possess at the moment. Maybe Scotland has two or three other Gaulds or maybe they don't value that profile or maybe the Scottish team is managed by a dunce. They have them too, you know

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I haven't seen every game he has played in the MLS but the couple of dozen I have seen tell me he would bring a profile we do not possess at the moment. Maybe Scotland has two or three other Gaulds or maybe they don't value that profile or maybe the Scottish team is managed by a dunce. They have them too, you know

Who are we dropping for him though? That’s what I’m curious about.

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He's not a winger. He's an attacking midfielder.

Edited by Sal333

17 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Just text him and ask him if he has PR.

Happy to if you can provide his number but judging from the last couple of pages of this thread awkward facts are not going to get in the way of all the daydreaming on this particular subject.

On Gauld.

One thing that interesting to me is that you don't have to be a Permanent Resident for any length of time to become a citizen.  They both have "lived in" requirements but I can't find anything that says you need to be a Permenant Resident to fulfill any part of your 1095 days "physical presence" requirement to become a citizen. 

So he could become a citizen soon after becoming a PR, if he isn't already.

The 5 years residency is a FIFA thing. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Not sure it’s anti-MLS though. Look at Arfield, he was a big part of Burnley getting back to the Prem before joining with Canada. Not sure how he was overlooked by Scotland too. They just seem to have their guys that they like and guys that they don’t look to for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Is Marcelo Flores completely in-eligible for Canada now? I see some tweets from Mexico saying he is and that they wouldn't be surprised seeing him switch after the copa america. 

He’s played in 3 matches (1 of them nations league) and he’s only 20 so yeah he could switch 3 years after his last match I believe. Which would be June of 2025. Still don’t expect to get him though, nor do I really think it’s that big of a get anymore.

11 minutes ago, archer21 said:

He’s played in 3 matches (1 of them nations league) and he’s only 20 so yeah he could switch 3 years after his last match I believe. Which would be June of 2025. Still don’t expect to get him though, nor do I really think it’s that big of a get anymore.

I think your understanding of the cap situation is right. 

He's a 20 year old left winger/attacking midfielder who gets sub minutes, sometimes substantially ones, in LigaMX and has scored a few goals there.

I wouldn't be too prideful in a year if he's not.

40 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Is Marcelo Flores completely in-eligible for Canada now? I see some tweets from Mexico saying he is and that they wouldn't be surprised seeing him switch after the copa america. 

Don't know why he would switch. He clearly wanted to be part of that program, one tournament isn't going to change that.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On Gauld.

One thing that interesting to me is that you don't have to be a Permanent Resident for any length of time to become a citizen....

It's obvious some people posting in this thread have absolutely no concept of what happens because they have never been through the system as an adult.

I had already lived continuously in Canada for over five years on temporary work visas when I gained PR status at Sarnia after a quick trip over the Bluewater bridge to reenter the country again after earlier applying at a consulate in Detroit. Kind of weird being welcomed to Canada by the border guard after being away for as long as it took one of my friends to cross the bridge and fill up with gas at cheaper prices in Port Huron but that's how it worked for me. Having an aunt who was a citizen and knowing some French helped get me over the line on points needed otherwise I could have been out of luck. Definitely not easy to qualify unless you have the right skills,  qualifications and sufficient work experience.

The exact details of the system may have changed over the last 30 years but I definitely wasn't allowed to apply for citizenship for at least a couple of years after that because those five years pre-PR didn't count in the calculation of days. Had this all explained to me by the relevant officialdom. Think they may have given me some credit for the earlier years on work visas that reduced the wait time a little bit but it's been a while. The test and interview was very easy and I wound up being sworn in as a citizen along with a large group comprised mainly of various flavours of former Yugoslav who were being coldly polite to each other at a community centre close to downtown in London, Ont. Voted Liberal ever since as they changed policies in a way that made my application viable. Merci beaucoup Jean Chretien.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's obvious some people posting in this thread have absolutely no concept of what happens because they have never been through the system as an adult.

I had already lived continuously in Canada for over five years on temporary work visas when I gained PR status at Sarnia after a quick trip over the Bluewater bridge to reenter the country again after earlier applying at a consulate in Detroit. Kind of weird being welcomed to Canada by the border guard after being away for as long as it took one of my friends to cross the bridge and fill up with gas at cheaper prices in Port Huron but that's how it worked for me. Having an aunt who was a citizen and knowing some French helped get me over the line on points needed otherwise I could have been out of luck. Definitely not easy to qualify unless you have the right skills,  qualifications and sufficient work experience.

The exact details of the system may have changed over the last 30 years but I definitely wasn't allowed to apply for citizenship for at least a couple of years after that because those five years pre-PR didn't count in the calculation of days. Had this all explained to me by the relevant officialdom. Think they may have given me some credit for the earlier years on work visas that reduced the wait time a little bit but it's been a while. The test and interview was very easy and I wound up being sworn in as a citizen along with a large group comprised mainly of various flavours of former Yugoslav who were being coldly polite to each other at a community centre close to downtown in London, Ont. Voted Liberal ever since as they changed policies in a way that made my application viable. Merci beaucoup Jean Chretien.

Great story.

But in another dual case (Holmes) we are talking about an immigration law that fundamentally changed under Harper and is now being changed (partially) back. 

Of course things are going to probably be different after 30 years.

Read the rules and argue with the government I guess.