Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

9 minutes ago, Pasta88 said:

Why are we ignoring Cornelius’ and Bombito’s development growing up in Canada?

The rest of the post is irrelevant as far as I’m concerned. I don’t care about our team representing Canada as a nation. I care about our team representing Canadian soccer.

The good news for both of us is that it currently does both. The overwhelming majority of our Copa America team are the sons/grandsons of immigrants from different countries and grew up playing soccer in Canada. Let’s keep it that way. 

Why are we ignoring it? Because it’s completely irrelevant. Cornelius developed into a national team calibre centre back in Germany, Serbia, Greece, and now Sweden. What he did as a 15 year old for FC OnRoute is completely irrelevant to what he gives us. Bombito was an irrelevant player who didn’t even play as a CB before he moved abroad. They are “Canadian developed” by technicality just like how the players you don’t want are Canadian citizens on a technicality.

It’s also strange to say you don’t want your national team to represent… the country they represent? That is literally the point of the national team. Canadian soccer, by the way, is comprised of 3 MLS teams that are overwhelmingly rostered by foreign players, CPL teams who roster many foreign players, some of the best in the league too. 

In any case, Marsch came out and said LDF is probably starting this weekend, so it’s good to see that we are giving opportunities to the best players at our disposal, regardless of trivial guardrails as to what is a Canadian soccer player. It’s what’s best for the sport, what’s best for the national team, and frankly, as far as our national team impacts the country, it’s good for Canada too. This is something you should be supporting wholeheartedly. 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You would be okay with Ryan Gauld playing for Canada, if it went that way?

Represented Canada soccer (lower case) for a while.

In my ideal, fantasy world? No. But I’m more ok with a Gauld type who naturalizes via playing here than a LDF/Koleosho type who has never played here.

2 minutes ago, Pasta88 said:

In my ideal, fantasy world? No. But I’m more ok with a Gauld type who naturalizes via playing here than a LDF/Koleosho type who has never played here.

Fantasy world is a great decription. 

Again admire your earnestness but there is no way we are saying no, obviously to LDF, or Koleosho or anyone else that might come along who can make us better. 

But how can you discriminate against LDF who obviously has such a huge desire to play for Canada but happened to born in the "wrong" place?

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Again admire your earnestness but there is no way we are saying no, obviously to LDF, or Koleosho or anyone else that might come along who can make us better. 

But how can you discriminate against LDF who obviously has such a huge desire to play for Canada but happened to born in the "wrong" place?

Big part of Canadian soccer is cheering for the country your dad or his dad came from. I don’t understand what’s wrong with rooting for a kid who is basically doing just that, except his dad’s nation is us. Koleosho’s mom was an AT for IMFC too, no? 

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Why are we ignoring it? Because it’s completely irrelevant. Cornelius developed into a national team calibre centre back in Germany, Serbia, Greece, and now Sweden. What he did as a 15 year old for FC OnRoute is completely irrelevant to what he gives us. Bombito was an irrelevant player who didn’t even play as a CB before he moved abroad. They are “Canadian developed” by technicality just like how the players you don’t want are Canadian citizens on a technicality.

It’s also strange to say you don’t want your national team to represent… the country they represent? That is literally the point of the national team. Canadian soccer, by the way, is comprised of 3 MLS teams that are overwhelmingly rostered by foreign players, CPL teams who roster many foreign players, some of the best in the league too. 

In any case, Marsch came out and said LDF is probably starting this weekend, so it’s good to see that we are giving opportunities to the best players at our disposal, regardless of trivial guardrails as to what is a Canadian soccer player. It’s what’s best for the sport, what’s best for the national team, and frankly, as far as our national team impacts the country, it’s good for Canada too. This is something you should be supporting wholeheartedly. 

I think it’s ridiculous to call that a technicality. There’s no denying both are relative rags-to-riches footballing stories, but surely their upbringings in our country contributed to the players they are today.

I don’t see how it’s a trivial guardrail but you do you. We will obviously never agree. I don’t see how us playing LDF is some win for the sport though.

25 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

OnRoute FC

Brilliant 

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I’m not going to root against him. I’ll just hope (fantasy worlds and all) that we produce good enough players that we never have to rely on him. Though that’s already a long shot if he’s on the team after only one appearance for Fulham.

6 minutes ago, Pasta88 said:

I think it’s ridiculous to call that a technicality. There’s no denying both are relative rags-to-riches footballing stories, but surely their upbringings in our country contributed to the players they are today.

I don’t see how it’s a trivial guardrail but you do you. We will obviously never agree. I don’t see how us playing LDF is some win for the sport though.

We won’t agree and I don’t think it’s worth arguing it to much as we both clearly support this national team and I’d hope that your support wouldn’t end if we suddenly pick up a few more LDFs to play for us.

Why it’s a technicality? Because neither player I mentioned (you can probably add Liam Millar in there too) are anything like the players who left Canada for a better future abroad. at least one and possibly both didn’t even play the position they play for us until they left (think DC was a striker as a kid?). Them having “Canadian soccer development experience” is nothing more than ticking a box on a form- our country had very little to do with developing them into the players they are today, and we owe thanks to the US and various Central/southern European leagues for making these guys the players they are today.

LDF playing for us is a win because he is a premier league player who has decided- at 18, and not after flaming out of the England set up and watching his career tumble to a lower level- to play for Canada. As much as we as fans can decipher about a player’s intentions for us, he seems genuinely proud to wear the jersey. The way he speaks about his relationship with his father, how he looked in the dressing room after his first minutes with us, how he’s spoken about Canada in interviews- this is a guy who wants to play for us, and not just as a last resort (unlike our spiritual captain Stephen Eustaquio who prioritized Portugal until he washed out of their system). Guys are proud to have roots here and they want to play for our country. That’s massive and worthy of celebration. 

1 minute ago, Pasta88 said:

I’ll just hope

I hope as well but you are not talking about hope at all in this whole exchange.  You are talking about wanting to make our side worse by enforcing a set of rules that doesn't match the real ones. 

If you don't want to enforce your ideas, then honestly it's just whinging?  No?

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If I understand that and his situation correctly, in real terms:

His grandparent is Canadian but both he and his applicable parent were born in the UK, so the applicable parent would have needed to have lived in Canada for that amount of time in order to pass their citizenship on to him. 

Tbh, I think that interpretation (which I agree with) probably means that very few if any people will qualify under this rule.  It’s actually not worth changing the law for it.  If your Canadian grandparent moves abroad, then has a child, it’s unlikely they ever return to Canada with the kid, and if they did, that kid probably would acquire citizenship via residency in any event if they spent that long in the country as required so their children (ie Holmes case) would be able to get citizenship on that basis (ie. Their parent is Canadian).

It is an interesting thought experiment but (and no offence intended by this) it doesn't matter in the least.  We can't "afford" to populate a national team with a more restrictive philosophy than the one being used by our peer countries.  We would likely regress as a footballing nation and the progress made over the last few years would diminish.  Whether it is a case of justified recruitment within the laws of FIFA or an "if you can't be them, join them" mentality, we will not be deviating from out current path of bringing in the best eligible players unless the recruitment rules get overhauled.  And if they do somehow become more restrictive, I am fine with us taking a more narrow view of eligibility.  But otherwise I am quite happy to support people who have the required connectivity to Canada - whatever that may be.  Success (via fielding the strongest team possible) will help grow the game here.  TSN may be the best/worst example of a fairweather friend to Canadian footy, but there is no denying that their recent exposure (because we are a team that can now compete at this level) has done a lot to elevate the profile of the CMNT.  This may not result in a CPL boom or anything, but it will have a lasting impact in terms of more people being aware of us as a respectable footy team.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

TSN may be the best/worst example of a fairweather friend to Canadian footy, but there is no denying that their recent exposure (because we are a team that can now compete at this level) has done a lot to elevate the profile of the CMNT.  This may not result in a CPL boom or anything, but it will have a lasting impact in terms of more people being aware of us as a respectable footy team.

I would at the least hope that this boosts some of TSN MLS coverage and maybe we get some spillage into a few 100 more fans for CPL or Onesoccer subs etc.  Maybe a few new sponsors or "donors", get some corporate love for the team going.  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I would at the least hope that this boosts some of TSN MLS coverage and maybe we get some spillage into a few 100 more fans for CPL or Onesoccer subs etc.  Maybe a few new sponsors or "donors", get some corporate love for the team going.  

A bit disconcerting is the lack of engagement from Canada Soccer sponsors. They didn't buy ad time during Copa ex CIBC but that is a likely a bulk buy since their ads are on a regular rotation on TSN. Besides good audience numbers, networks want new monies coming from sponsors to consider paying for rights.

Carlsberg has an ad shown on OneSoccer that would have been very apropos.

And the only football focused ad was from Adidas. If you watched Fox, US companies had plenty of football-centric ads.

If you watched Canada Basketball play the US on Wednesday, there were about 4-5 Canada Basketball sponsors with ads even it was for 15 seconds. There was more participation during the Qatar World Cup but most Canada Soccer sponsors remained on the sidelines. 

As Mont Vic said in a pre-match interview, he isn't concerned about fans jumping on board over the next 2 years. Instead, he's waiting on the media and C-suite types.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:43 AM, Approve My Account Pls said:

I wont lie, two guys I really wish we were able to convince watching the Euros and AFCON a few months ago are Kadioglu and Marmoush

I missed a lot more Euros games than usual and just had some games on in the background so I didn't realize that Kadioglu was starting for Turkey, wow. I know he only had a small connection to us but too bad we missed out on him.

Well, 

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

I am hoping that with our success we had in COPA maybe some dual nationals that are kind of fence may come our way . Hopefully we will also get some new corporate sponsors

Oh well get that.

We showed the world we have talent in Canada and I would be shocked if David, Bombito and another didn’t get their moves.

the duals will come, think we do end up with Jebbison, maybe not LK but the next big Canadian talent is coming it is a time thing now.

Marsch talks about 10 duals and the thread doesn't get bumped. What has become of this place :lol:

Nothing new really but if we can continue this momentum, some of the heads above might well get turned. 

Edit: Isn't Mitrovic gone due to appearing in euro qualifying? At any rate he isn't available until mid September 2026 if they don't cap him before.

Edited by toontownman

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Marsch talks about 10 duals and the thread doesn't get bumped. What has become of this place :lol:

Nothing new really but if we can continue this momentum, some of the heads above might well get turned. 

Edit: Isn't Mitrovic gone due to appearing in euro qualifying? At any rate he isn't available until mid September 2026 if they don't cap him before.

Those look like the 4 that could help right away minus Mitrovic.  Gauld also springs to mind but he is not available now.

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Yeah Mitrovic is gone. On a related note I hope Hellas Verona are relegated.