Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

17 hours ago, imoffside said:

A player playing for the biggest club in Serbia wouldn't make it? Highly disagree

Where he's playing as a left sided winger/attacker.  So, if you bring him, who are you leaving at home: Davies, Millar or Corbeanu?

You can't say Kaye or Fraser or anyone else of that ilk because they play very different positions.

37 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Where he's playing as a left sided winger/attacker.  So, if you bring him, who are you leaving at home: Davies, Millar or Corbeanu?

You can't say Kaye or Fraser or anyone else of that ilk because they play very different positions.

Sure - could easily see him being there over Millar or even Theo. Not sure why Millar has the rep he does on this board as a locked in call.

could even see one less mid a la Wotherspoon being called.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Sure - could easily see him being there over Millar or even Theo. Not sure why Millar has the rep he does on this board as a locked in call.

could even see one less mid a la Wotherspoon being called.

Millar is not a locked in call, but I can tell you that over both of their respective bodies of work, Millar is the more complete player right now.  So for me it's a no-brainer.  Who knows what it will be like in 2026, but that's not the question.

I think you are either underrating Basel or overrating Red Star.  Not sure which.  What's interesting is that it looks like Basel is sending more players to Qatar than Red Star.  Also, the Swiss Super League seems more competitive top to bottom than the Serbian League.  For me, that says a lot.  

31 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Millar is not a locked in call, but I can tell you that over both of their respective bodies of work, Millar is the more complete player right now.  So for me it's a no-brainer.  Who knows what it will be like in 2026, but that's not the question.

I think you are either underrating Basel or overrating Red Star.  Not sure which.  What's interesting is that it looks like Basel is sending more players to Qatar than Red Star.  Also, the Swiss Super League seems more competitive top to bottom than the Serbian League.  For me, that says a lot.  

Switzerland and Serbia are both relatively similar tier 3 leagues. I don’t think the UEFA coefficients are the be all and end all but Serbia has been generally higher ranked than Switzerland  in the last five years. But regardless,  whether one is a bit better than the other doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Mitrovic has 2 goals and 2 assists in 700 League minutes this season while Millar has 0 goals and 0 assists in 700 league minutes and I’m not sure that’s due to league quality.

mitrovic is also 3 years younger 

Neither of them would hopefully see the pitch in Qatar but i don’t see it as a certainty at all that Millar is more deserving of a call then Mitrovic l. If we’re talking about the whole “brotherhood” thing then that’s a different question.

Edited by Floortom

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Anyone worried about Loturi? We already lost his brother (though I don’t know he ever would have received a call)

If Loturi has won a starting position, we need to call him to the next camp. He's a CM right? and we need to shore up that position given that Atiba will  retire after the WC , Kaye form is slipping & Oso will be pushing it in 2026

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If Loturi has won a starting position, we need to call him to the next camp. He's a CM right? and we need to shore up that position given that Atiba will  retire after the WC , Kaye form is slipping & Oso will be pushing it in 2026

I think we’ll be surprised to know that Atiba doesn’t retire after the CNL or Gold Cup.

He’ll have a great opportunity to go out on a real high. Same thing for Borjan….

However with both tournaments happening  consecutively, we definitely will need to increase the pool.  

For all our talk about Mexico and Serbia with the dual guys not making the squads after committing to them, maybe fans on the boards in Romania, the United States, Switzerland, and France are saying the same things about Corbeanu, Akinola, Leutwiler, and Brym............Okay probably not

Edited by rydermike

23 minutes ago, rydermike said:

For all our talk about Mexico and Serbia with the dual guys not making the squads after committing to them, maybe fans on the boards in Romania, the United States, Switzerland, and France are saying the same things about Corbeanu, Akinola, Leutwiler, and Brym............Okay probably not

Portugal might be feeling queasy about Eustaquio getting away, hehehe.  

37 minutes ago, rydermike said:

I think Romania will eventually regret Carboneau, Akinola would probably be in Europe right now if not for his ACL injury.

Eustaquio would certainly help Portugal at the moment, it didn't seen though at the time of his decision he was going to be on the trajectory he is now. A country like Portugal just has more options to consider.  

Isnt most of Canada dual citizens?

3 minutes ago, top cheese said:

I think Romania will eventually regret Carboneau, Akinola would probably be in Europe right now if not for his ACL injury.

Eustaquio would certainly help Portugal at the moment, it didn't seen though at the time of his decision he was going to be on the trajectory he is now. A country like Portugal just has more options to consider.  

Isnt most of Canada dual citizens?

Yes, but I was just commenting on the players who represented a different youth team or were born in a different country who didn't make the squad as a joke because of all the "Mitrovic didn't make Serbia/Flores didn't make Mexico" posts with a "these guys didn't make Canada"

1 minute ago, rydermike said:

Yes, but I was just commenting on the players who represented a different youth team or were born in a different country who didn't make the squad as a joke because of all the "Mitrovic didn't make Serbia/Flores didn't make Mexico" posts with a "these guys didn't make Canada"

I understand - it's hard to see where youth-aged players will be as seniors. I think neither of them is ready for the world cup. Mitrovic honestly hasn't proven anything, and I think there's a lot of smoke around him with no fire. Flores is undoubtedly a potential talent, but I thought it was noted here somewhere that he hasn't adjusted to the senior level yet on his loan. I don't think they would have made Canada ether in this time and moment. 

A couple of people have said they believe Eustagquio could play for Portugal now and I don’t think that is a stretch. 

Loturi could be a sleeper, Rida Zouhir will be one to watch to be honest.

At left back Ali Ahmed and Themi antogonlu are very promising.

Lets not forget about Nelsen and Rutty at CM eventually imo.

Kobe Franklin at Rb and ZBG imo makes the next squad. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Hopefully after the WC. JH starts to take a closer look at the next group of players and arrange a "B" squad game for players that missed out or young players like Loturi. I know we have NL/GC but we have to get the next group involved. We need to upgrade our depth.

comments like these have me thinking, does the CSA think like this?

We the fans want to enjoy this monumental moment which has yet to take place, and has taken over 30 years…….but we’re still thinking about who’s next!

This is me. I’m excited to finally see in my lifetime a World Cup where Canada is playing, but I’m still looking at the depth. 

I loved the recent friendly (well other than the pitch), and know that we definitely need to arrange more B friendlies (aka U23) to have them integrated into the program to sustain our future success.

I may sound unappreciative, but qualifying was my only excitement/ expectation with this squad. Anything else that comes with it is a party.

I’ll be satisfied when we aren’t an anomaly within Concacaf from youth to seniors. 

That’s how we take it to the next level and become World players.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

We the fans want to enjoy this monumental moment which has yet to take place, and has taken over 30 years…….but we’re still thinking about who’s next!

This is me. I’m excited to finally see in my lifetime a World Cup where Canada is playing, but I’m still looking at the depth. 

I loved the recent friendly (well other than the pitch), and know that we definitely need to arrange more B friendlies (aka U23) to have them integrated into the program to sustain our future success.

I may sound unappreciative, but qualifying was my only excitement/ expectation with this squad. Anything else that comes with it is a party.

I’ll be satisfied when we aren’t an anomaly within Concacaf from youth to seniors. 

And now we will be going to back to back World Cups especially since 2026 we are hosting and then anything else after that 2030 and beyond we may as well be a World Cup mainstay because now that it expands to 48 teams, we will no doubt become a powerhouse in CONCACAF for years to come

6 hours ago, Shway said:

agree, need to develop the youths and bring them in so that we avoid a flash in the pan situation like in 2000 where after the GC victory we dropped off and failed to qualify for the WC for a couple decades.

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

A couple of people have said they believe Eustagquio could play for Portugal now and I don’t think that is a stretch. 

Loturi could be a sleeper, Rida Zouhir will be one to watch to be honest.

At left back Ali Ahmed and Themi antogonlu are very promising.

Lets not forget about Nelsen and Rutty at CM eventually imo.

Kobe Franklin at Rb and ZBG imo makes the next squad. 

I hope all of those players we can develop and then get them to switch but I wonder if Jebbison is still on the table

17 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I hope we get to see more dual Nationals in our side heading into 2026 but also are there any dual Nationals right now in CPL

Daniel Krutzen is probably the notable one, I believe he should become eligible in Spring 2024. If he were to be Canadian eligible right now, I think he would've been in conversation with Waterman in that last CB slot.

20 hours ago, top cheese said:

I understand - it's hard to see where youth-aged players will be as seniors. I think neither of them is ready for the world cup. Mitrovic honestly hasn't proven anything, and I think there's a lot of smoke around him with no fire. Flores is undoubtedly a potential talent, but I thought it was noted here somewhere that he hasn't adjusted to the senior level yet on his loan. I don't think they would have made Canada ether in this time and moment. 

Two goals this season for Red star in league play + two more goals in Europa league + 1 in Champions League at 20 for Mitrovic. To compare him to some of our 20 year olds, if guys like Kone or Corbeanu did that, we’d be talking about them starting for us. If he wouldn’t have made our roster, he’d likely be the very last cut, or close to it.

as for Flores, he is having a rough go at it. He’s still very young, but he was rated highly as an Arsenal prospect, but I think it’s more likely that he takes a similar route to Liam Millar and establishes himself elsewhere in Europe instead of returning to the premier league any time soon. I don’t think he would’ve made our roster under any circumstance.