CONCACAF Nations League

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

How about making the Nations League and the WCQ the same thing?

3 tiers play every year with pro/rel. The year before the World Cup, the teams that lead in points for the top tier go to the World Cup

It's likely to be 4 tier and will likely factor into WCQ and GCQ but the main goal is to get teams playing soccer

On 9/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, deschamp86 said:

3 tiers play every year with pro/rel. The year before the World Cup, the teams that lead in points for the top tier go to the World Cup

Not a bad idea.  Would also eliminate any of the issues of seeding and unbalanced groups for WCQ because it would all be sorted out on the pitch.  No more stressing over the draw or whining about the FIFA rankings.  It could also be used for Copa America qualifying (likely to happen again in 2020).

In terms of what will actually happen, Vic told Grant Wahl a while back that the USA v MEX game would not be taken away from qualifying which basically means it will remain a single table.  I suspect it will just be expanded to 10 teams.  

On 9/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, deschamp86 said:

Looking back at an earlier article this might be exactly what will happen. 

The format, Montagliani said, will have the member associations split into several leagues, according to their strength, with promotion and relegations at the end of the four-year cycle.

He added that the League of Nations rankings would then determine which teams qualify for the World Cup and Gold Cup. Although the competition will almost certainly mean fewer friendlies, Montagliani stressed that there would still be room in the international calendar for countries to arrange games should they wish.

“The format was passed by our competitions committee and we need to go a couple of more steps and then hopefully we’ll be in a position to unveil it by the end of the year,” Montagliani said. “It will give countries that may have a harder time getting friendlies more competitive matches. What we’re hoping is for a country like Bermuda to have in the 30 to 36 range over a four-year cycle.”

The League of Nations has been met with an overwhelmingly positive response from the member associations, Montagliani said, although the financial aspect of the idea is still to be finalised.

“It’s a long-term plan and if we can execute it we will,” Montagliani added. “It still has a little bit of a way to go. We still have to work out the commercial and business side of things.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170425/bermuda-set-to-gain-from-league-of-nations

If they are going to use the nations league as part of WCQ, I think they will need a potential path for the teams in the lower leagues/divisions to qualify somehow. I don't know what that would look like, but I think it would stink a bit if half the teams (or however many it would be) would have no shot at making the World Cup because they don't have time to get promoted to the top division and then qualify during the cycle.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

If they are going to use the nations league as part of WCQ, I think they will need a potential path for the teams in the lower leagues/divisions to qualify somehow. I don't know what that would look like, but I think it would stink a bit if half the teams (or however many it would be) would have no shot at making the World Cup because they don't have time to get promoted to the top division and then qualify during the cycle.

It'll will have a much bigger impact on GCQ than WCQ from what Ive been told. It will likely replace GCQ but simply decide groups for WCQ.

19 hours ago, Kent said:

If there are three or four tiers, there would be enough time to make it from the bottom tier to the top tier

UEFA will have 4 tiers: League A, League B, League C and League D

12 teams in A and B and I think 16 teams in C and D.

Each league is divided into groups of 4. Group winners play a semi final and from there the final.

Bottom 4 teams relegated. Top 4 in League B promote.

Gonna be used for UEFA 2020 qualifying

Just now, deschamp86 said:

You can split the tiers though.

Tier 1 - 6 teams

Tier 2A/B - 12 teams

Tier 3A/B/C/D - 23 teams

Yea not likely gonna be the case. Its likely gonna be closer to UEFA's version. Also it'll be used to decide the 16 team Gold Cup likely.

Maybe
Tier A - 2 groups 3 teams - 6 Teams
Tier B - 2 groups 5 teams - 16 Teams
Tier C - 2 groups 5 teams - 26 Teams
Tier D - 4 groups 4 teams (1 of 3) - 41 Teams

I think ours will be single table.

Perhaps League A and B will have 8 each, with C and D have 12 and 13 respectively.

8 teams is a good amount for League A and B, because that would be 14 match days over a two year period, giving room for friendlies. I assume that would be his it's cycled. Every 2 years. That looks to be what UEFA will do.

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea not likely gonna be the case. Its likely gonna be closer to UEFA's version. Also it'll be used to decide the 16 team Gold Cup likely.

Maybe
Tier A - 2 groups 3 teams - 6 Teams
Tier B - 2 groups 5 teams - 16 Teams
Tier C - 2 groups 5 teams - 26 Teams
Tier D - 4 groups 4 teams (1 of 3) - 41 Teams

Wasn't trying to replicate what it would exactly look like.

Was giving an example of how it could be split

Just now, deschamp86 said:

Wasn't trying to replicate what it would exactly look like.

Was giving an example of how it could be split

I know. No one knows how it will. I was just explaining the a 3 tier system doesn't work with your pitch or likely any pitch and then listed a maybe system

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think ours will be single table.

Perhaps League A and B will have 8 each, with C and D have 12 and 13 respectively.

8 teams is a good amount for League A and B, because that would be 14 match days over a two year period, giving room for friendlies. I assume that would be his it's cycled. Every 2 years. That looks to be what UEFA will do.

My understanding is they'll be spilt but I think you're right on cycling

Just now, Obinna said:

I think I read something about ensuring Mexico and USA are able to still face each other. I thought perhaps that was a sign it be single table. Thoughts?

i read that too but have since come to assume there will be some room for friendlies and of course play-offs. When I was researching an article on the league, reps from FAs (3 Caribbean and 1 Central American) said it was a way to get 6-8 games for everyone over a year so I took that to mean we'd see grouped tiers.

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

UEFA will have 4 tiers: League A, League B, League C and League D

12 teams in A and B and I think 16 teams in C and D.

Each league is divided into groups of 4. Group winners play a semi final and from there the final.

Bottom 4 teams relegated. Top 4 in League B promote.

Gonna be used for UEFA 2020 qualifying

its going to be used for part of Uefa qualifying. Only the winners of each division will qualify if hey haven't qualified through the  regular qualification campaign

9 minutes ago, matty said:

i read that too but have since come to assume there will be some room for friendlies and of course play-offs. When I was researching an article on the league, reps from FAs (3 Caribbean and 1 Central American) said it was a way to get 6-8 games for everyone over a year so I took that to mean we'd see grouped tiers.

Interesting. I guess they could ensure 6 games in League A with two groups of four, but the simplest way to ensure Mexico and USA play each other would be a single table. I think this, with no play offs, would be far more interesting. 

17 minutes ago, canta15 said:

its going to be used for part of Uefa qualifying. Only the winners of each division will qualify if hey haven't qualified through the  regular qualification campaign

Oh so that's how it will work. That will be interesting to see. Btw when I said UEFA 2020 I meant Euro 2020.