CPL Stadium Thread

Further to @ReedOnTheGrand's explanations of stadiums. I present another amazing opportunity in KW:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/schneiders-kitchener-sold-auburn-development-1.4318369

This is probably my favourite option for a site. The site will take years of brownfield development before it can be fully usable for residential and Auburn itself is known for taking awhile to get things going (see the Arrow Lofts and Barrelyards Development). At the back of the site is a railroad track, which also won't be great for residential but perfect for something like a stadium, where a train coming by once and awhile is fine. It's close to downtown and right on the LRT line. It's also close to the Iron Horse trail and a favourite Grand River Union brewery, Together We're Bitter Brewing Co-op.

I think a modular stadium could pop up in this location very quickly. It would be a great way segue for Auburn and fantastic for city access.

Looking at the Schneider's site, there are no adjacent entertainment district - it's mostly light industrial and residential. I could see a lot of NIMBY happening there. They should find a spot closer to the main drag or University campuses to engage the millennials and partner with them. On the plus side, it's right next to an LRT station so its easy to get to.

36 minutes ago, Rheo said:

For full disclosure saw Jonathan Tannewald tweet about it first, here with local source reply 

Any idea what the other option might be?  It would be a huge westward step for the NBL (not to mention that an outdoor stadium wouldn't work for them), and I doubt an NWSL team would build their own stadium.  I can't see a PDL team sinking money into a stadium considering how unsure their footing with the CSA must be.  A school probably wouldn't build anything off-campus.

38 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Any idea what the other option might be?  It would be a huge westward step for the NBL (not to mention that an outdoor stadium wouldn't work for them), and I doubt an NWSL team would build their own stadium.  I can't see a PDL team sinking money into a stadium considering how unsure their footing with the CSA must be.  A school probably wouldn't build anything off-campus.

If I were to guess, a potential Lions buyer. 

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I assumed they meant it as either there knew of two groups interested in the area or that the one group has two options they were considering.  But that was just how I read it.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If I were to guess, a potential Lions buyer. 

Think it will be the "Fraser Valley" CanPL group that has approached Surrey, BC about this, and the second option mentioned by AFTN would probably be in Langley. If CanPL is going to reach 10 teams by the early 2020s and there are going to be 6 out of 10 building something as PB has mentioned on a podcast, we should be seeing a few more stories like this appearing over the next few months with K/W probably being the prime suspect to be next. Using municipally owned land as has also been the case in Halifax and Saskatoon helps to keep costs reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if another pop-up was involved where Surrey is concerned.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:04 PM, Rheo said:

Watch. This has nothing to do with CPL and is instead an attempt to ride the success of the Wolfpack and make rugby bigger than soccer in Canada.

Halifax update https://m.thecoast.ca/halifax/wanderers-stadium-might-not-be-game-ready-until-2019/Content?oid=10036951

Nothing too surprising in there.  If you don't have a league yet, no need to build a stadium.  Despite the need of some to want it all now, they're being smart and patient (in my opinion).

The thing I like is that SEA already has a ticket arrangement 

• Disclaimer: Ticket Halifax, the stadium’s ticketing partner, is owned by The Coast. The Ticket Halifax sales team and operators had no involvement in the commissioning or editing of this article.
Edited by Rheo

14 hours ago, matty said:

Watch. This has nothing to do with CPL and is instead an attempt to ride the success of the Wolfpack and make rugby bigger than soccer in Canada.

Sorry Matty but hot off the press lol (literally, did my couple of times a day google search and it said it was uploaded a minute ago)  Now to read the rest of the article.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/outdoor-spectator-stadium-in-surrey-eyed-as-home-for-pro-sports-team/

• Potential franchise operators with the new Canadian Premier League want to build and operate an “outdoor spectator stadium” on city-owned land here.

The CPL is currently working with ownership groups to establish professional soccer franchises in key markets across Canada, according to league spokesperson Greg McIsaac.

“We can confirm a group of local business leaders have submitted a proposal to the City of Surrey representing a future franchise in the Lower Mainland,” McIsaac told the Now-Leader in an email on Thursday morning

29 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Sorry Matty but hot off the press lol (literally, did my couple of times a day google search and it said it was uploaded a minute ago)  Now to read the rest of the article.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/outdoor-spectator-stadium-in-surrey-eyed-as-home-for-pro-sports-team/

• Potential franchise operators with the new Canadian Premier League want to build and operate an “outdoor spectator stadium” on city-owned land here.

The CPL is currently working with ownership groups to establish professional soccer franchises in key markets across Canada, according to league spokesperson Greg McIsaac.

“We can confirm a group of local business leaders have submitted a proposal to the City of Surrey representing a future franchise in the Lower Mainland,” McIsaac told the Now-Leader in an email on Thursday morning

Was just in Vancouver for 10 days for Thanksgiving, love hearing this news about Surrey.

Just sent the article to a few soccer buddies of mine in Vancouver and Langley, I can see the Langley guys getting excited about a team much closer to them.

12 hours ago, Rheo said:

Halifax update https://m.thecoast.ca/halifax/wanderers-stadium-might-not-be-game-ready-until-2019/Content?oid=10036951

Nothing too surprising in there.  If you don't have a league yet, no need to build a stadium.  Despite the need of some to want it all now, they're being smart and patient (in my opinion).

The thing I like is that SEA already has a ticket arrangement 

• Disclaimer: Ticket Halifax, the stadium’s ticketing partner, is owned by The Coast. The Ticket Halifax sales team and operators had no involvement in the commissioning or editing of this article.

Update of your update.

UPDATED Disclaimer: We previously, incorrectly stated that Ticket Halifax, which is owned by The Coast, was a ticketing partner with SAE. This is incorrect. Editorial regrets the error. The Ticket Halifax sales team and operators had no involvement in the commissioning or editing of this article.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:02 PM, Rheo said:

How dare you ruin my shit post

Btw in nyc staying with some folks who follow soccer. They think it's rich that canadians of all people are mocking them about the world cup.

Quote: when canada makes the hex we can talk.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

I would rather have a CPL team in Victoria than Surrey, they need to distance themselves from Vancouver and The Whitecaps. In the 3 big markets there won't be and shouldn't be competition 

But I want my BC derby.

Surrey is far enough from Vancouver.

34 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Image result for why not both meme

I'm sure they could be able to support both, the soccer fanbase  is big enough for 2 Clubs, the bigger question is whether it's sustainable? 

31 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Surrey is far enough from Vancouver.

I guess, only a 45 minute drive but still 

You just wanna sneak it in!