Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Well we had 2.

Second being a depleted team.

Going forward in the new CCL format we’ll see 3 - two being CPL teams. While USA & Mexico have a minimum of 6 maximum of 9 each….. but that’s another topic. 

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Second being a depleted team.

Going forward in the new CCL format we’ll see 3 - two being CPL teams. While USA & Mexico have a minimum of 6 maximum of 9 each….. but that’s another topic. 

With the new format all 3 Canadian MLS teams can qualify for CCL, they just need to perform well enough in MLS or Leagues Cup 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

With the new format all 3 Canadian MLS teams can qualify for CCL, they just need to perform well enough in MLS or Leagues Cup 

In theory, but history tells a different story. TFC is the only team in recent years. MTL highest finish was 3rd, and Vancouver is the Whitecaps.

So no way will we see 3 MLS teams at anytime.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

In theory, but history tells a different story. TFC is the only team in recent years. MTL highest finish was 3rd, and Vancouver is the Whitecaps.

You mean the only Canadian MLS team to make the playoffs last year, right?

33 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You mean the only Canadian MLS team to make the playoffs last year, right?

...I guess you put value on "just making the playoffs" lol...I don't. It would be a better conversation if they... you know... won a game. But you're indirectly validating my point. The caps have 1 playoff win, 1 appearance in the CCL in their MLS history and they are supposed to be 1 of the 3 marquee Canadian clubs. 

Reason why I replied to @narduch with that response. 

Do you see that when we talk about continental opportunities by way of CCL while referencing "dOmEsTiC" history where success is important is absent for the Caps? 

Completely hijacked this thread, but the new CCL format is exciting for American MLS, and LigaMX fans. I'm telling you we'll all be watching the new CCL with only York United, Forge FC and CF Montreal as the representatives from North America, while there is nearly 14 other spots given to MLS and Liga MX teams. The odds are simply against us, and I'm not a numbers guy but I implore the ones to display them. We gotta hope the CCL has gigantically improved or face being/hoping to be the Sheriff Tiraspol.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Shway said:

Well then if our clubs aren't as good as the American clubs, I'm not sure you are making a good point about us deserving more spots.

I know I am a broken record, but until they determine the number of spots dynamically based on results in the CCL, it won't be good enough.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Not to stir the pot (I never need an excuse or need to hide that) but I wonder if Herdman's statement was a shot across the Flores/Mitrovic bow.  I don't think so but I sure thought of it.

hMkGeg3.png

Interesting thought. I never saw it that way.

I do think the Kone call up itself sends a message to Flores and Mitrovic. At the same time, I don't think his call has anything to do with those guys. I think Kone's call is based on merit and our needs. We are thin at this position at the moment.

The only other available player I think could have satisfied this role (combative, two way midfielder) is Priso, but he's not getting the minutes Kone is, nor is he making the impact that Kone is. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Interesting thought. I never saw it that way.

I do think the Kone call up itself sends a message to Flores and Mitrovic. At the same time, I don't think his call has anything to do with those guys. I think Kone's call is based on merit and our needs. We are thin at this position at the moment.

Not the call I'm talking about, I'm talking about the quote.

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Not the call I'm talking about, I'm talking about the quote.

Right.

In that case, I still don't think the quote has anything to do with them, and I think you mentioned the same, but nonetheless your thoughts on it are interesting. Even if Herdman never meant anything by it, maybe those players get wind of it and have second thoughts.

Or maybe they just concentrate on their youth ball with Mexico and Serbia without coming across the quote, let alone taking it into consideration. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In that case, I still don't think the quote has anything to do with them, and I think you mentioned the same, but nonetheless your thoughts on it are interesting. Even if Herdman never meant anything by it, maybe those players get wind of it and have second thoughts.

You never know with the Herdsman and his fifth dimensional chess but you can be damn sure Uncle Ivan saw it.

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Why the hell is this thread (and the Mitrovic one) on the front page during this monumental week?

Because we are all super-nervous and filled with soccer energy.  There is only so much you can talk about re the games.  The rosters are set, we know the ref crews, and you can only generate so many formations.   This is the web forum equivalent of nervous pacing.  

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

There is no doubt that Kone is playing (and excelling) at a higher level.

I wonder if the Canadian MLS teams have been in talks with any agent of Jebbison, Flores, Dias or even Corbeanu for that matter. This might not be the case for Jebbison since he's playing in the Championship but excelling in a season long loan with a MLS club seems like it would do wonders for all their careers. They would all be playing at a higher level than they are now. Flores I think is what TFC needs, some creativity up the middle. I'm sure all three Canadian MLS teams could use the added width that Theo would provide as well.   

11 hours ago, Macksam said:

I wonder if the Canadian MLS teams have been in talks with any agent of Jebbison, Flores, Dias or even Corbeanu for that matter. This might not be the case for Jebbison since he's playing in the Championship but excelling in a season long loan with a MLS club seems like it would do wonders for all their careers. They would all be playing at a higher level than they are now. Flores I think is what TFC needs, some creativity up the middle. I'm sure all three Canadian MLS teams could use the added width that Theo would provide as well.   

Isn’t that Pozuelo’s role? Not saying it couldn’t work but it seems like he’d be in tough for playing time behind Poz. With Pozuelo, Osorio, Bradley (not high on him any more but surely he’ll keep getting minutes anyways), and Priso, that’s a pretty good midfield. I think their problems are more defensively (I mean as a defensive unit, not just CBs although they haven’t been great either). Hopefully having Priso in form will help with that if he can earn more minutes in the midfield.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Isn’t that Pozuelo’s role? Not saying it couldn’t work but it seems like he’d be in tough for playing time behind Poz. With Pozuelo, Osorio, Bradley (not high on him any more but surely he’ll keep getting minutes anyways), and Priso, that’s a pretty good midfield. I think their problems are more defensively (I mean as a defensive unit, not just CBs although they haven’t been great either). Hopefully having Priso in form will help with that if he can earn more minutes in the midfield.

I think they can push Poz further up and put Flores behind him.