Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think I am repeating myself but the only potential addition I can see at this point would be a guy like Jebbison.  In theory anyone could have an absolute break-out season and stake a claim, but it seems pretty unlikely.  Other than Jeb, you have a few guys who have had some involvement with the squad (ZBG, Akinola, etc) and could play their way in at the expense of someone who isn’t locked down.  

For a guy like Flores, I just don’t see it. Maybe an invite gets extended for Nations League in an effort to bring him into the fold but I just don’t see a path to the WC by next November.  

I would say in addition to who you name and my thoughts on Flores, Corbeanu has a shot (probably you included him in your etc.). I also think Priso and Okello have a chance simply because we lack a little depth at central midfield. Fraser is there and has performed admirably but still playing at a low level in Belgium.  A great season under Bradley for one of those 2 could nab the 6 or 7 central mid in a 26 man roster. 

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

I would say in addition to who you name and my thoughts on Flores, Corbeanu has a shot (probably you included him in your etc.). I also think Priso and Okello have a chance simply because we lack a little depth at central midfield. Fraser is there and has performed admirably but still playing at a low level in Belgium.  A great season under Bradley for one of those 2 could nab the 6 or 7 central mid in a 26 man roster. 

Yeah, I def include Corbeanu as one of those fringe guys that could play their way in.  When I referenced Jebbison I just meant that he is the only truly new addition I could imagine actually making it to Qatar.  Maybe Flores both surprises me and proves me wrong but I don’t see it.

Interesting about Priso and Okello.   I have Priso pegged as a guy for 2026 - he really impressed me last year.   Assuming full recovery it would be an interesting possibility for November.  And as much as I am rooting for Okello I am not sure I can see him progressing enough this year to get a spot.  I think someone Priso’s age is more likely to make a big leap I one season.  I think we are starting to see who Okello is and I am not sure he makes the kind of quantum step that would be needed to be ready for that level.  Fingers crossed though - and not just because I have Aron of his rookie cards :) 

Unless one of the non-roster players improves in leaps and bounds (a la Buchanan) or we have a series of injured players, I think we shouldn't expect any surprises in our WC lineup. I drew up a depth chart for each position to illustrate my point. Obviously many players can slot into more than one position but for the sake of simplicity I placed them in one role. Keep in mind I went with a 26 man roster. If FIFA reverts back to a 23 man roster we still have to cut three more players from my list which will make it even more difficult for one of the young players to break in.

LW                                                           CF                                                          RW

Hoilett                                     David                                        Larin

Millar                                       Ugbo                                        Buchanan

Akinola

Cavallini

LWB                                                       LCM                      RCM                                                        RWB

Davies                                         Eustaquio                 Hutch                                                         Laryea

Adekugbe                                    Kaye                          Osorio  

Piette                        Fraser 

LCB                                                                                       CB                                                                                          RCB

Miller                                                                 Vitoria                                                               Johnston

Kennedy                                                            Henry

Cornelius

KEEPERS 

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

6 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Unless one of the non-roster players improves in leaps and bounds (a la Buchanan) or we have a series of injured players, I think we shouldn't expect any surprises in our WC lineup. I drew up a depth chart for each position to illustrate my point. Obviously many players can slot into more than one position but for the sake of simplicity I placed them in one role. Keep in mind I went with a 26 man roster. If FIFA reverts back to a 23 man roster we still have to cut three more players from my list which will make it even more difficult for one of the young players to break in.

LW                                                           CF                                                          RW

Hoilett                                     David                                        Larin

Millar                                       Ugbo                                        Buchanan

Akinola

Cavallini

LWB                                                       LCM                      RCM                                                        RWB

Davies                                         Eustaquio                 Hutch                                                         Laryea

Adekugbe                                    Kaye                          Osorio  

LCB                                                                                       CB                                                                                          RCB

Miller                                                                 Vitoria                                                               Johnston

Cornelius

KEEPERS 

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

I agree with most of your choices (maybe Theo over Akinola)… but that roster screams out for a creative #8/10.  Probably a year or two too early for Flores but part of me wants to bring him along just in case we could cap-tie him if we are afforded a 26 man roster… in that case I guess I’d have to drop Akinola and Cavallini.  There will definitely be tough decisions, but if Canada wants to continue to rise higher post Qatar, there needs to be an eye to the future.

1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

I agree with most of your choices (maybe Theo over Akinola)… but that roster screams out for a creative #8/10.  Probably a year or two too early for Flores but part of me wants to bring him along just in case we could cap-tie him if we are afforded a 26 man roster… in that case I guess I’d have to drop Akinola and Cavallini.  There will definitely be tough decisions, but if Canada wants to continue to rise higher post Qatar, there needs to be an eye to the future.

I totally agree with you about the #10 but Flores is 18 and weighs as much as one of my t-shirts. He's a couple of years away from our or the Mexican team.

45 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Akinola

Cavallini

Cornelius

KEEPERS 

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

I think the core group is known but I also think there are some fringe amd eligible players that could play their way into the squad.  And conversely there are guys on your list who could lose their spot toif their play doesn’t justify their continued inclusion. Guys like Jebbison or Corbeanu could grab a spot from some of the guys on the cusp IMO.

Akinola isn’t at all guaranteed a spot in my mind.  I am glad he chose us and if he comes back from his injury and is banging in goals for TFC then it is very possible but there are a lot of question marks there given that he is coming off a major injury.

Cav is probably a lock but it is conceivable that his MLS season would raise questions.  He has clearly become more of a sub/role player for us so it isn’t impossible that he slips further down the pecking order.  It’s not like he lit up MLS last year.

Ugbo is another one who isn’t guaranteed a spot.  Sure we have called him in the last couple of windows but it isn’t like he dragged us to Qatar and we owe him a spot.  His inclusion will be decided on the strength of his play this year and the other available options. 

And as much as I like Millar and am rooting for him, I don’t think he is a guarantee either.   He is playing at the right level and doing well for his club but he isn’t immune from someone like Theo if the latter has a really strong year.  

In the rest of the field I think we are more settled but I still think change is possible.  Depending on their play over the next season, guys like ZBG or Priso could also stake a claim.  And at the very edge of this category is where I put Flores.  Seems pretty unlikely but you never know.

None of this means that I think we will see wholesale changes - at most I think we would see one or two of the changes noted above.  But that doesn’t mean that any one of these guys doesn’t have everything to play for with a shot at playing in the WC on the line. 

Could be wrong but I think this year there will be more Canadians in the MLS than ever. 

Our Canadian MLS squads are all representing and starting to get stacked with Canadians.

Priso was pretty close prior to his injury in my opinion. Okello could finally start reaching his potential, Gutierrez and Choiniere could push. AJ said last week Joel Waterman was his pick to break out over the next year or two. Hopefully Akinola gets fit and on form. Plenty of other players that could have break out seasons and sneak in. The 3rd Goalkeeper situation is absolutely up for grabs. Hasal will be licking his lips at his big chance with Pantemis and Breza fighting each other.

The pressure will be on for Canadians outside the squad to hit the ground running though. Nations league will be a big opportunity to try a few new things. 

Man I am excited about the prospects and potential.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, as I also get excited about the potential player pool. However, in the context of Qatar, potential isn't relevant. It is about what you are doing right now, and to do it consistently.  The window to demonstrate that is nearly closed. 

No Flores, no Akinola, no Priso, no Okello, etc. It is not their cycle. I agree Jebibson has a chance, but it is closing quickly. 

The time to think about potential is at the start of a cycle, not the end. 

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

No Flores, no Akinola, no Priso, no Okello, etc. It is not their cycle. I agree Jebibson has a chance, but it is closing quickly. 

If Akinola is banging in goals like he was before his injury, he could usurp Cavallini or Ugbo in the striker pecking order. Similar deal for Jebbison if he tears it up in the Championship.

You're likely right about the others, although Priso has an outside shot of playing his way in.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Could be wrong but I think this year there will be more Canadians in the MLS than ever. 

Our Canadian MLS squads are all representing and starting to get stacked with Canadians.

Priso was pretty close prior to his injury in my opinion. Okello could finally start reaching his potential, Gutierrez and Choiniere could push. AJ said last week Joel Waterman was his pick to break out over the next year or two. Hopefully Akinola gets fit and on form. Plenty of other players that could have break out seasons and sneak in. The 3rd Goalkeeper situation is absolutely up for grabs. Hasal will be licking his lips at his big chance with Pantemis and Breza fighting each other.

The pressure will be on for Canadians outside the squad to hit the ground running though. Nations league will be a big opportunity to try a few new things. 

Man I am excited about the prospects and potential.

Montreal CF has 16 Canadians on their pre-season roster. Although I don't think all of them will start with the club.

3 hours ago, Xavier. said:

A lot also depends on if they keep a 23 man roster for the World Cup, or have an extended 26 man roster like the Euros due to covid.

My assumption is it will the a 26 man roster and that is also a reason I can see a spot or two for someone like Flores or Rutty looking a little bit to the future if they have big 22’s

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt a Wotherspoon be ahead of Priso or Okello??  I get that they are still improving but right now if everyone is healthy I would take him over those two.  

Wrong thread.... Was Wotherspoon hurt or simply left off this window? 

We have one key need: attacking, creative mids, and no real depth prospects.

For one, because it's an objective defect in the pool. And also, because it'd give us a major tactical variation. As is we've pushed our creativity to the wings, and that hurts us as well as helping. Sam and Richie are not participative in midfield possession, but since we're playing to our strengths their role is to progress more directly to the strikers. At the WC expect pitches will be wide and we'll benefit in some matches.

For some matches we need more than this, which will mean trying a classic 4-man midfield to get possession. Or to challenge some of the stronger midfield rivals who rely less on the wings (Croatia, Denmark, South Korea). That means sacrificing one or both of Adekugbe or Laryea and playing with Piette, Hutch, Eustaqiuo and Osorio. Fine. But who are their replacements? Just Kaye? Not enough IMO.

We could ask David to play attacking mid and it might be surprising

Our WC roster, in any case, should be filled by whoever can support our midfield 5. We are going to have to leave some attackers at home. 

The biggest question before we fill the squad will be : where will Davies play?

Is our best lineup with Larin & David?

If so, will we play a 3-5-2 counter all tournament?

If that's the case, could Davies be played as a CM/Shadow Striker behind the 2?

Tough to move Adekugbe, also tough to be effective on the counter with Davies at LWB.

Just trying to figure it out here...

That's what I see right now.

Bojan

Laryea RWB

Adekugbe LWB

Johnston

Vitoria

Miller

Hutch CM

Eustachio CM

Davies CM/SS

Larin

David

Super sub : Buchanan

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We have one key need: attacking, creative mids, and no real depth prospects.

For one, because it's an objective defect in the pool. And also, because it'd give us a major tactical variation. As is we've pushed our creativity to the wings, and that hurts us as well as helping. Sam and Richie are not participative in midfield possession, but since we're playing to our strengths their role is to progress more directly to the strikers. At the WC expect pitches will be wide and we'll benefit in some matches.

For some matches we need more than this, which will mean trying a classic 4-man midfield to get possession. Or to challenge some of the stronger midfield rivals who rely less on the wings (Croatia, Denmark, South Korea). That means sacrificing one or both of Adekugbe or Laryea and playing with Piette, Hutch, Eustaqiuo and Osorio. Fine. But who are their replacements? Just Kaye? Not enough IMO.

We could ask David to play attacking mid and it might be surprising

Our WC roster, in any case, should be filled by whoever can support our midfield 5. We are going to have to leave some attackers at home. 

I don’t agree that we need to swing that drastically to a 4-man mid.  We have sometimes been playing with a 2-man mid.  Playing 3 should be enough with David.  We have to still keep to our strengths of using the wings.  In the case of coming up against a strong midfield possession team we’ll have to play similar to how we did against the US.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:22 AM, P-O said:

The biggest question before we fill the squad will be : where will Davies play?

Is our best lineup with Larin & David?

If so, will we play a 3-5-2 counter all tournament?

If that's the case, could Davies be played as a CM/Shadow Striker behind the 2?

Tough to move Adekugbe, also tough to be effective on the counter with Davies at LWB.

Just trying to figure it out here...

That's what I see right now.

Bojan

Laryea RWB

Adekugbe LWB

Johnston

Vitoria

Miller

Hutch CM

Eustachio CM

Davies CM/SS

Larin

David

Super sub : Buchanan

Adekugbe has been great, but i just don't see us starting him at LWB in front of Tajon.  Pretty sure Tajon is in the 11 regardless of the formation we choose, be it 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-4-2, or even 4-3-3.   

Another thing to consider was the way Davies played up front with David vs the USA in 2019.  They both ran them ragged.  I don't see Davies being an out and out striker, but he can do some serious damage being deployed like that.  Dump and chase style, a la hockey. 

So many options, it's just a great time to be on the CANMNT train.