Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

If he's going to select Mexico or Canada he's going to do it whether he stars for the U23s or not yes? So why not Canada? I don't think we should have an inferiority complex anymore. This is not the Canada of old. The only concern I have is when is  he going to attend a Canada camp???

Edited by Kadenge

Think he wants to come to a Canada camp (without being capped) before deciding but it wouldn't surprise me if Mexico try calling him up for this round of fixtures to cap tie. Maybe it is too important a set of games to do that but it seems they are desperate to make sure they don't lose him to us.  Likewise if we can't get him over to be in a taxi squad for next week it might just make his decision easier. 

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Think he wants to come to a Canada camp (without being capped) before deciding but it wouldn't surprise me if Mexico try calling him up for this round of fixtures to cap tie. Maybe it is too important a set of games to do that but it seems they are desperate to make sure they don't lose him to us.  Likewise if we can't get him over to be in a taxi squad for next week it might just make his decision easier. 

Ultimately I think Mexico's plan is to give Flores the 23rd spot on their roster for the 2022 World Cup and no it won't be because he's ready. Tata tried the same thing with Pepi but he refused. The most logical time to bring Flores in to camp for us would be nations league in June since he'd be out of season.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Brace - Canada might be losing this one.

The question isn’t whether or not he is good enough for Mexico.  They have clearly indicated their interest.  The question is where he wants to play and where he sees his best option for the future.  And nothing about the fact that he is doing well at Arsenal U23 changes that equation.  The reality is that he is still looking at a potential decade of playing with guys like Davies, David and Buchanan.   This may be a unique period in our evolution but for someone like Flores, we are not actually the second class team.  

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

For this kids own sake, I hope he waits until after Qatar at the minimum before committing. And if he does, he may want to pick us without coming for a camp first. Sure that might be a pain for all of us watching this tug of war, but I think all of us on here acknowledge at the current moment he shouldn't be on either squad.

the only thing that concerns me is why he agreed to a senior cap with Mexico

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

the only thing that concerns me is why he agreed to a senior cap with Mexico

Maybe the pressure of riding a runaway train.... probably hard to escape from that momentum. Hopefully he makes the best decision for himself and doesn't get caught up in the will of others. I'd hate a teenager to have terminal regrets just as his promising professional and international career is starting. 

18 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

For this kids own sake, I hope he waits until after Qatar at the minimum before committing. And if he does, he may want to pick us without coming for a camp first. Sure that might be a pain for all of us watching this tug of war, but I think all of us on here acknowledge at the current moment he shouldn't be on either squad.

His Dad clearly wants him to commit to Mexico.  I'd say it's a long shot at best.  I doubt he ever attends a Canadian camp.  If he actually commits to coming to a Canadian camp he would have a lot to think about it, but I'm not holding my breath.

If he doesn't attend a Canada camp before making his decision then his father and everyone in his camp should be ashamed. He explicitly stated that he wanted to try both before making his decision, and if he is robbed of that opportunity then his father failed him. Not saying that his father doesn't want what's best for his kid, because I'm sure he does, but if he isn't able to see what Canada has to offer, then it's pretty clear what happened...

If he comes to a Canada camp and is able to see what we have on offer and still chooses Mexico, then so be it.

27 minutes ago, frmr said:

If he doesn't attend a Canada camp before making his decision then his father and everyone in his camp should be ashamed. He explicitly stated that he wanted to try both before making his decision, and if he is robbed of that opportunity then his father failed him. Not saying that his father doesn't want what's best for his kid, because I'm sure he does, but if he isn't able to see what Canada has to offer, then it's pretty clear what happened...

If he comes to a Canada camp and is able to see what we have on offer and still chooses Mexico, then so be it.

From what I can tell we are the only program in the octagon to cancel the January camp, which he was supposed to be his opportunity to attend. He also missed the last January camp due to covid restrictions, if I recall correctly.

Now we have no more friendly camps until the summer at minimum. 

Is it realistic to expect him to turn down consecutive calls to Mexico's world cup qualifying campaign, especially when he's already played for them? I am not sure it is. 

I don't think it'd be his camp acting in bad faith either. Everyone has their limit.

May not be a popular opinion, but trying to get ahead of the vilification I can see developing here. 

January was the camp to bring him, but in our infinite wisdom we decided to scrap the camp. Losing Marcelo may just be a consequence of that decision. 

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

From what I can tell we are the only program in the octagon to cancel the January camp, which he was supposed to be his opportunity to attend. He also missed the last January camp due to covid restrictions, if I recall correctly.

Is it realistic to expect him to turn down consecutive calls to Mexico's world cup qualifying campaign, especially when he's already played for them? I am not sure it is. 

I don't think it'd be his camp acting in bad faith either. Everyone has their limit.

May not be a popular opinion, but trying to get ahead of the vilification I can see developing here. 

January was the camp to bring him, but in our infinite wisdom we decided to scrap the camp. Losing Marcelo may just be a consequence of that decision. 

I actually think we've saved our chances with Flores by not having this camp.  This way he has an easy excuse for family and Mexico when they invite him for garbage cap tie minutes in the last few qualifiers. He can say: I've still not had a chance to "experience the Canadian project" as he's called it. 

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Mexico may try to get him in for March, but his father has said many times Marcelo is still too young to make a decision. If he's not committed to Mexico by June we could use nations league to bring Flores in to train. Mexico did this last year with Jonathan Gomez (US/Mexico) during nations league and Flores would be finished his season by then.