Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Could be a bigger W than being in Camp Poutine, guarantees he gets exposed to our big dawgs 

That's a great point, I saw something on twitter today that said Canada is trying to get him to wcq camp, although these Mexican media sources do tend to be unreliable sometimes.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s obviously talented but all this hype and drama around a u18 academy player is too much. As it stands the kid can’t even get into Arsenal u23s let alone the first team. 

I generally agree that the fuss is a bit much but he did play 20 mins for the Arsenal U23s today and I wonder if he’ll be sticking there for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I generally agree that the fuss is a bit much but he did play 20 mins for the Arsenal U23s today and I wonder if he’ll be sticking there for the rest of the season.

I saw that but wondering about their covid cases. A lot of players around the world have been getting opportunities this past week. 

Flores is one of Arsenal’s prized and best prospects.  He was the best player on their U18’s and is now ready for the U23’s.  He has the potential to be in the Premier League regular in about 2 years if he can keep progressing so rapidly.  

There’s a good reason why both Canada and Mexico want him in their programs.  By 2026 he could be one of the better players in either programs.

17 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Flores is one of Arsenal’s prized and best prospects.  He was the best player on their U18’s and is now ready for the U23’s.  He has the potential to be in the Premier League regular in about 2 years if he can keep progressing so rapidly.  

There’s a good reason why both Canada and Mexico want him in their programs.  By 2026 he could be one of the better players in either programs.

Just curious, why do you say he is their best player, on Arsenal u-18?

He has scored 6 in ten matches, but half were in the first game in August. He hasn't scored since October. And he's not their leading scorer despite often lining up in the striker role (or as an attacking mid). He just made his first appearance in the PL2 side, while a few more of the u18s have been up and played there as well. 

I have no basis to argue, but just wonder what your basis is to state that. Do you watch them? I just feel all this "he's dominant", "they are protecting him", "he's the best player", it does not add up. 

BTW, Arsenal is in 5th in the southern division of u-18, which is split into two groups. You can't say he's outgrown the level when the team is not even dominating their division.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He has scored 6 in ten matches, but half were in the first game in August. He hasn't scored since October. And he's not their leading scorer despite often lining up in the striker role (or as an attacking mid). He just made his first appearance in the PL2 side, while a few more of the u18s have been up and played there as well. 

I have no basis to argue, but just wonder what your basis is to state that. Do you watch them? I just feel all this "he's dominant", "they are protecting him", "he's the best player", it does not add up. 

BTW, Arsenal is in 5th in the southern division of u-18, which is split into two groups. You can't say he's outgrown the level when the team is not even dominating their division.

It’s mostly hype - reminds me of the Marshall Rutty talk although in fairness Flores has shown much more than JMR.

i don’t watch Arenal U18s obviously but Flores was amazing in that Mexico / US / Colombia / Brazil tourney in the summer. Was probably the best player in the entire tournament. There’s definitely something there 

I get the sense he takes defenders on, and from the middle, so that stands out. He's also explosive, perhaps, without being lightning fast or physically powerful. All good. 

IMO he has no place on our 23-man roster, I'd take Lucas Dias or Mitrovic before him, I think both are further down the path. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It’s not me who says that.  It’s people in the club and in the media.  

However looking at his performance, he’s 2nd on the Arsenal U18 team in scoring with 6 plus 2 assists, from the AM position of a 4-2-3-1 (primary).  

He’s also the only one on the team with a professional contact at the moment and definitely their most talked about prospect. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

He has one senior cap, and that single cap was an obvious panic call-up because we were sniffing around.

Exactly. Because he has a lot of potential. That's what I said.

There are probably a lot of 18 year old dual-eligible Mexican players, but not all of them get senior callups.

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

There are probably a lot of 18 year old dual-eligible Mexican players, but not all of them get senior callups.

I’m not denying that he has potential, I was just pedantically correcting you. 

12 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s not me who says that.  It’s people in the club and in the media.  

However looking at his performance, he’s 2nd on the Arsenal U18 team in scoring with 6 plus 2 assists, from the AM position of a 4-2-3-1 (primary).  

He’s also the only one on the team with a professional contact at the moment and definitely their most talked about prospect. 

He's only their most talked about prospect because Canadians and Mexicans are jawing over him. Nothing else.

As I said: he scored a hattrick in August against Villa, think it was, first game of the season. Half his season total. 

I don't know: at Barça we are playing 5-6 kids of his age on the first team, moving back and forth sometimes between the reserves, and despite being absolutely terrible this year, we are better than Arsenal.

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Mexico's key prospects were the ones who went to the Olympics and won a bronze, that is 20 young players right there to pick from. 

The only reason he's jumped ahead of that strong group is because we have made Mexico nervous as fuck, that is all. He's not even a pro yet, has no pro games. Otherwise, the pecking order has him below about 10-12 guys who have yet to break into the first team, but Tata was forced to break the standard protocol. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mexico's key prospects were the ones who went to the Olympics and won a bronze, that is 20 young players right there to pick from. 

The only reason he's jumped ahead of that strong group is because we have made Mexico nervous as fuck, that is all. He's not even a pro yet, has no pro games. Otherwise, the pecking order has him below about 10-12 guys who have yet to break into the first team, but Tata was forced to break the standard protocol. 

Flores has undeniable technical qualities.  I've said before some 18 year olds are full grown men.  Some kids continue to physically mature well into their early 20s.  Flores physical stature does not match  his technical abilities.  His pace and strength will continue to develop over the next couple years.  His upside as a player really depends on how much development their is on the physical side.  His Dad isn't small.  I thought his mom would be short, but I saw a picture and she seemed quite tall too.  Marcelo simply isn't ready physically to play professionally.  This could change over the next 6 to 12 months though.

I saw a tweet from his father that he had retweeted from Transfermarkt.  I'm not sure what the criteria is but apparently he is rated as the 2nd best player this season at the U18 level in England (1st on Arsenal u18's).

Every player has a different path to the professional so I suspect he will make the jump in the coming years.  Unfortunately at Arsenal, there are some very talented youngsters playing similar roles with the senior squad.  We should see some more minutes with the u23's and hopefully a loan soon (hopefully after he commits to Canada).

1 hour ago, beachesl said:

today... Flores comes off the bench (minute unknown) and scores the final goal (67´) in a 4-1 victory for Arsenal U21s over Chelsea u21 who, albeit, were suffering from  an early red card.

He came on m. 63 for another goal scorer. I believe this would be his first pro or senior competition match ever for a club. Explaining why...

This is the EFL u-21 Cup, which is every team in League One and Two, all players eligible including loans, plus 16 clubs from higher divisions with a u-21 team, there are eligibility criteria. Then they have some invited clubs. 

Round one was a group stage.

Then, they got through a knockout late last year, vs. Ipswich Town on penalties; I don't think Marcelo played any of those.

And then this is a one-match knockout round on a pure draw, so if you like this is his first "pro" match in a competition involving full senior sides.

They  play Wigan at home in the last week of the month in quarter finals. Arsenal u-21 are the last u-21 from a EPL or Championship side standing.