Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

Let's show him he has Canadian support too!

I would point out 2 things from the clips of him posing with fans. 

1. That support is amazing, it looks like thousands stayed after the game, not sure we would be able to replicate that.

2. He doesn't speak to the fans at all. Some people have pointed out his spanish isn't the best, but you have to think that could play a role in his decision.

1 minute ago, grigorio said:

This does not look like the profile of someone actively considering Canada. If this is in fact as done and dusted as it may seem kudos to Ruben and the Flores camp for playing one of the largest confederations in the world like a god damn fiddle. 

89633EF5-BBEB-4242-84A2-0677DBFAA5FA.jpeg

Do we know if it was always like that or changes to this for his debut with Mexico? The latter would not surprise me at all to minimize online abuse and questioning in the media while he's under the microscope and I wouldn't read too much into it. It's marketing.

At the end of the day I don’t think anybody got played. If Marcelo doesn’t reach the massive potential that everyone seems to think he has, Mexico will throw him on the trash heap.  He will get the Mexico call that he and/or his family will be gunning for and then who knows what happens.   At best, reputation as a youth prospect only gets your foot in the door - it doesn’t ensure you have a spot.  All this potential commitment would do is reduce his international option to one rather than two countries.  Other than that, he hasn’t really gained anything.  

6 minutes ago, kohanz said:

Maybe I'm being naively optimistic, but this is so noncommital and reads like a thank you letter from a leaving employee or something a lead singer would say at the end of a concert. This is expertly-written fence sitting.

The gracias mexico part is interesting he had it at the end of the video as well but maybe we're reading too much into it. 😂

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

At the end of the day I don’t think anybody got played. If Marcelo doesn’t reach the massive potential that everyone seems to think he has, Mexico will throw him on the trash heap.  He will get the Mexico call that he and/or his family will be gunning for and then who knows what happens.   At best, reputation as a youth prospect only gets your foot in the door - it doesn’t ensure you have a spot.  All this potential commitment would do is reduce his international option to one rather than two countries.  Other than that, he hasn’t really gained anything.  

I think Tata got played, sorry to say.

I know Tata well, we had him at Barça. The guy may not be too emotive and not the most adept manager, and was nothing great psychologically, but if anything he's usually level-headed and does not give in to flights of fancy. And playing an academy player with no proven pro experience, albeit in a friendly, is a bit much to have to swallow. He's feeling the pressure, and he caved into it. So I'd say he was played, it was what he had to do to help survive until the WC. 

Even doing that friendly, which was taking the guys recently eliminated from LigaMX and a few unprovens, was basically useless. He can't use Marcelo in Qatar, or in qualifiers, and he knows it. If we could not find a place for the kid as we stand, he certainly could not.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We will know soon enough. If he comes to the Jan camp he will have a decision to make. If he doesn't the decision has already been made.

Between him, Arfield and others (Jebbison? Dias?) the announcement of camp attendees and the window squad will be probably the most interesting news releases in a long time.  The other ones in recent windows have been far more predictable than the upcoming announcements.