Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

I went to ESPN to check the Commentary on the game yesterday first. I saw..

83' Flores substitution

85' Flores wins free kick

87' Flores wins free kick

87' Flores wins free kick

89' Flores shot saved

I was like wow. He was so involved in ten minutes. Glad that i came here to get some context to why he won so many free kicks

9 hours ago, Matro25 said:

So he can still play in the Guatemala match without filing for anything? If that's the case I hope the kid answers the call. 

If I recall Mitrovic said in his interview his team is trying to figure out if the friendly impacts his eligibility as well. Anyone know if our January friendly will be official or not?

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

If I recall Mitrovic said in his interview his team is trying to figure out if the friendly impacts his eligibility as well. Anyone know if our January friendly will be official or not?

Friendlies are official in the sense you gets caps and such and they're approved by FIFA. But they're not official in the sense of being part of an official FIFA competition.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Friendlies are official in the sense you gets caps and such and they're approved by FIFA. But they're not official in the sense of being part of an official FIFA competition.

@Tyler55 And therefore the assumption is they amount to nothing more than an off the books training game, so we assume Flores and Mitrovic should be able to participate.

3 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

When I was 18 I was very slight.  Some 18 year olds are full grown men.  Other's will mature into their 20s like I did.  It's pretty clear that Marcelo needs fill out some.  There's a reason he's not even playing under 23s for Arsenal.  Corbeanu was playing under 23s at that age and dominating and at 19 is playing with the owls and according to fans is dominating too!

The size question is not a problem, not if you know how to play to your virtues. 

Similar to the closed door friendly we had with Trinidad & Tobago back in June of 2019 for a pre-Gold Cup warmup.  That was an unofficial game (scrimmage) that did not count for caps for players.  I believe Arfield scored twice in a 2-0 win that day.  And if I'm not mistaken, Canadian eligible goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh played for T&T that day.

It is possible that this Guatemala game is similar to the T&T game in that it is more of a scrimmage vs another country than an official friendly.  That is probably the only way Mitrovic & Flores could play.

Edited by Corazon

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Similar to the closed door friendly with Trinidad & Tobago back in June 2019 as a pre-Gold Cup warmup.  That was an unofficial game that did not count for players.  I believe Arfield scored twice in a 2-0 win that day.  If I'm not mistaken Canadian eligible keeper Ranjitsingh played for T&T that day.

It is possible that the Guatemala game is similar to this T&T game and more of a scrimmage vs another country than a official friendly.  That is probably the only way Mitrovic & Flores could play.

Yeah but we have to get Flores and Mitrovic to switch nationalities to play for us or do we?

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

The fact that Jamie was asking who can go makes me believe this is more than a friendly.

You mean more than an unofficial friendly, right?

7 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but we have to get Flores and Mitrovic to switch nationalities to play for us or do we?

We do ultimately, but not to play in what amounts to a pick up game with Guatemala. 

If the friendly is official, they need to file the switch or they can't play. 

There are two types of friendlies. 

There are the official friendlies that get FIFA approved, count as caps, adds to your FIFA ranking and all that. 

Then there are "unofficial friendlies" that they don't submit to FIFA and it is basically a practice exhibition match. Usually it's something like when a national team faces their own U20 team or something, but we did that once vs Trinidad. Since it's not submitted for approval, technically it doesn't exist, which is why Flores and Mitrovic would be able to play because it wouldn't count as a cap. Heck, Davies could play for the other team and it wouldn't matter because it's not a "real game" (not that he would, I just mean it's unofficial so they can do whatever they want, it's like when in a scrimmage the coach switches up the rosters mid-game. Rosters don't matter for FIFA rules because it wouldn't be a FIFA friendly). It doesn't even have to be 90 minutes because its unofficial( ie. play 3 30 minute periods, make it a 60 minute game, etc.) 

If it is an OFFICIAL FRIENDLY, it requires a one-time switch and affects their eligibility. They would require a one-time switch because they played youth national matches with another country. If it is UNOFFICIAL, then they wouldn't because the game "doesn't exist". That's why they are looking into it to be sure.

Edited by rydermike

42 minutes ago, ted said:

Or you sign with a club with a decent training regime like Davies did. The physical growth after a year at Bayern was amazing.

I've heard this quite a bit about Davies, and Bayern certainly have a track record of bulking up players. I'm not saying it's untrue with Davies, but this is the kid getting his medical with Bayern at 18. He was also incredibly athletic and mature for his age physically while still in VancouverImage

40 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I've heard this quite a bit about Davies, and Bayern certainly have a track record of bulking up players. I'm not saying it's untrue with Davies, but this is the kid getting his medical with Bayern at 18. He was also incredibly athletic and mature for his age physically while still in VancouverImage

He was physically bodying men at 16. 
Were so quick to attribute the success or growth of players to others vs immediately giving it to our own.

Davies is built like a Olympic sprinter. (side not have you ever wondered how he would do?)

Edited by Shway

Im honestly not sure it matters if he plays or not. Spending time with Canadians in camp, getting to know the lads, and watching how the guys he's spent time with play together, should be enough to make a case for us.

Also, I have literal chip crumbs on my gut while looking at that picture of Phonzie hahaha

It helped that Alphonso Davies got tall quick before he left Edmonton. They list him currently at 5'11 but I'm pretty sure he's at least 6 feet. With that speed and height the only big time player I can think of who matched his attributes was Bale, ironically also a LB when he got noticed in Tottenham. 

This is him with Mcdavid whose 6'1 just a couple years ago. Practically the same height.

cut.jpeg

Edited by Matro25

13 minutes ago, Califax said:

Im honestly not sure it matters if he plays or not. Spending time with Canadians in camp, getting to know the lads, and watching how the guys he's spent time with play together, should be enough to make a case for us.

Also, I have literal chip crumbs on my gut while looking at that picture of Phonzie hahaha

Don't even need to see videos, just photos of him wearing a Canadian kit. Mexican media will go bonanza that week with their headlines 😂

2 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

It helped that Alphonso Davies got tall quick once he left Edmonton. They list him currently at 5'11 but I'm pretty sure he's at least 6 feet. With that speed and height the only big time player I can think of who matched his attributes was Bale, ironically also a LB when he got noticed in Tottenham. 

This is him with Mcdavid whose 6'1 just a couple years ago. Practically the same height.

cut.jpeg

I will say that most hockey players listed heights are somewhere in between their actual height and their height on skates.

I'm a bit under 6 feet and I've met a few guys I've comfortably looked down upon that are "officially" 6'0 or 6'1. Same with Lowry and FVV from the Raptors, both are officially 6'0 but cannot be more than 5'10, maybe 5'11 if we're being generous.

I can understand how Marcelo could be influenced to join team Mexico. Mexico has always been a strong CONCACAF team, usually qualifying for the WorldCup.... However, Canada's mens team has improved greatly and is playing much better than previous years. It's a new era in Canadian football!

I would love to see Flores play along side C.Larin, L.David, A.Davies (and the other great players) and be a part of team Canada in Qatar! 

WC 2022 - Go Canada!!