Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I also saw a tweet that claimed the Mexican football federation made Marcelo and another player fly commercial and seperate from the team. If I wasn’t working right now I’d go dig the tweet up. Don’t think it has been posted here yet 

All it means is that the LigaMX players from teams already eliminated in the playoff, all but the finalists, flew together from DF, and those not playing in Mexico took commercial flights to Texas. Just speculating but I like this soap opera stuff, it's fun. 

My favourite Mexican telenovela, Agujetas de color de rosa (Muscle Pain in Pink, literally), about an aspiring figure skater and a future NHL player Canada tries to steal from the Tri (more or less)

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

The account with the source is a USMNT supporter with 15 followers. I wouldn’t read into it at all

That tweet was a joke, there was a lot of fake news going around twitter last night as many Americans were making up random stories to poke fun at the Mexican media. 

Well that reporter does say that Flores and Galdames did not fly in with the team. 

We don't know if they came in separately for logistic reasons, one from the UK and the other, Galdames, from Chile. I think that was all it is.

The latter has to be in a pinch, as I read that Chile also wanted to call him up for this same friendly. He's Mexican but from a Chilean background. 

The most recent news stories are saying both are going to play.

You know what: a guy scoring with the Espanyol u-19s, at age 17, is not on paper worse than a guy at Arsenal youth. In fact I'd say Espanyol is as good as an academy, they are top level. Sure, Luca did not grow up in Canada, but he did say he'd go with the first national team interested.

Or how about a kid starting in Youth League, for Sporting, while Arsenal does not even play in the competition?

If we can get any two of Marcelo, Lucas Dias, Mitrovic or the kid at Espanyol, we will have done well.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well that reporter does say that Flores and Galdames did not fly in with the team. 

We don't know if they came in separately for logistic reasons, one from the UK and the other, Galdames, from Chile. I think that was all it is.

The latter has to be in a pinch, as I read that Chile also wanted to call him up for this same friendly. He's Mexican but from a Chilean background. 

The most recent news stories are saying both are going to play.

You know what: a guy scoring with the Espanyol u-19s, at age 17, is not on paper worse than a guy at Arsenal youth. In fact I'd say Espanyol is as good as an academy, they are top level. Sure, Luca did not grow up in Canada, but he did say he'd go with the first national team interested.

Or how about a kid starting in Youth League, for Sporting, while Arsenal does not even play in the competition?

If we can get any two of Marcelo, Lucas Dias, Mitrovic or the kid at Espanyol, we will have done well.

Luca is definitely intriguing I watched a highlight tape from 2018 (which is useless 😂) but he is a very skilled attacking mid/winger and has already been invited to first team training which is very impressive. Luca seems to be flying a bit under the radar in the US (wasn't called to revelations cup). This is a player I hope we can build a relationship with and bring to the u20 tournament this summer. 

"Canada's betrayal! Marcelo Flores' dad confesses everthing" is the title of this Spanish video gaining traction past few days on the tube.

Can we get our translaters to summarize what's being said? anything new other than the fact that girls simply weren't good enough for Canada? 

47 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

"Canada's betrayal! Marcelo Flores' dad confesses everthing" is the title of this Spanish video gaining traction past few days on the tube.

Can we get our translaters to summarize what's being said? anything new other than the fact that girls simply weren't good enough for Canada? 

It's all based on an interview between the father and another journalist, which we'll have to find.

Says Arteta is going to put him in the 1st team of Arsenal in January. 

Speaks of Tatiana Flores, who acc to him played for both the English and Mexican system, and was on the CND junior team. But when she chose to go play in the UK, to develop, Canada said it wouldn't pay her trips back to play for Canada. 

That hurt the relationship with the family. 

Says all 3 have played for the English youth system. 

Then comments on the emotion of his father when he was called up for the Mexicans. 

Says Rubén is flying to Austin to see his debut. And that he'll be on as a sub, likely, in the 2nd half. 

Finally, that Tatiana could get minutes with the Chelsea first team. And the same for the older sister Silvana, signed with Spurs. 

That's all. I'll let those more knowledgeable about the sisters and details respond. It's nice to see this level of anxiety south of the Rio Grande. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Speaks of Tatiana Flores, who acc to him played for both the English and Mexican system, and was on the CND junior team. But when she chose to go play in the UK, to develop, Canada said it wouldn't pay her trips back to play for Canada. 

That hurt the relationship with the family. 

All of what Herdman is saying and doing makes sense now. He left the women's team to help the men's team qualify for the World Cup, which would get a bunch of money for the women's team, which would then in turn help us recruit for the men's team. Real 5d chess.

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Man his family confuses me. One second his dad is seemingly taking the neutral approach and today his Twitter is a Mexico fan page...

And of top of that he's teasing us by tweeting in English while his son is playing for the Mexican national team. Like who is he trying to have as an audience exactly? 

This is the video. Rubén is really an extraordinary fellow, listening to his story makes me rethink things. A humble origin, a pro as a teen, a fascinating path afterwards in football, great dedication to all his kids. Fairly generous to vias of Canadian soccer development, really not bad mouthing, not until more recent issues when the family had already picked up and moved to the UK. 

I'd cut him some slack, what his 3 kids are accomplishing is pretty major. And it's mostly to do with he and his wife and their family project, beyond Mexico, Canada or even the UK. 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is the video. Rubén is really an extraordinary fellow, listening to his story makes me rethink things. A humble origin, a pro as a teen, a fascinating path afterwards in football, great dedication to all his kids. Fairly generous to vias of Canadian soccer development, really not bad mouthing, not until more recent issues when the family had already picked up and moved to the UK. 

I'd cut him some slack, what his 3 kids are accomplishing is pretty major. And it's mostly to do with he and his wife and their family project, beyond Mexico, Canada or even the UK. 

Yeah I think most people totally get his perspective. If Canada Soccer was where it was today 10 years ago I think things would have panned out differently. 

Because of the success of our program now its easier to swallow the loss of his kid to Mexico. It will still sting to see him play against us in the Gold Cup or WCQ but that's the game. 

1 hour ago, Matro25 said:

Yeah I think most people totally get his perspective. If Canada Soccer was where it was today 10 years ago I think things would have panned out differently. 

Because of the success of our program now its easier to swallow the loss of his kid to Mexico. It will still sting to see him play against us in the Gold Cup or WCQ but that's the game. 

Rubén is level headed and very sincere, I quite admire his take.

Still, Marcelo is not further along than Corbeanu at his age, or really Millar. Or Jebbison. Or Lucas Días. Or Justin Smith. 

He says that now he's a u18 playing some u23 matches and training. That starting January he'll move into the u23 mix and train occasionally with the 1st team. That, if true, sets him up for a possible call-up to a first team match. Fabulous. Or for a possible loan offer for next season of they want him to develop still. Like the others mentioned who are in England. 

That would then make him an option for a national team programme, say like Theo. For a call-up of 23 to a qualifier? Not likely, not for Canada or Mexico. Not likely, yet, for this World Cup. 

If he accelerates into the Arsenal 1st team, if he fast-tracks, then it's a different story 

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Rubén is level headed and very sincere, I quite admire his take.

Still, Marcelo is not further along than Corbeanu at his age, or really Millar. Or Jebbison. Or Lucas Días. Or Justin Smith. 

He says that now he's a u18 playing some u23 matches and training. That starting January he'll move into the u23 mix and train occasionally with the 1st team. That, if true, sets him up for a possible call-up to a first team match. Fabulous. Or for a possible loan offer for next season of they want him to develop still. Like the others mentioned who are in England. 

That would then make him an option for a national team programme, say like Theo. For a call-up of 23 to a qualifier? Not likely, not for Canada or Mexico. Not likely, yet, for this World Cup. 

If he accelerates into the Arsenal 1st team, if he fast-tracks, then it's a different story 

Great points. Even guys like Mitrovic and Colyn will be competing for those same spots in the future so it will be interesting to see who makes it as a pro that Herdman can count on first.

If Mitro, Colyn, Dias, & Flores all pan out to play at the same level then Herdman will choose the ones who were loyal to the program first IMO.

Right now as it stands all 3 of those kids play at a higher level than Marcelo and are in the same age group or 1 year older. Lets hope one of them can make a huge leap in time for next year. 

14 hours ago, Matro25 said:

But Tatiana Flores...she cute. That must count for something. 

I don't understand people who are relaxed over losing him because :

- He hasn't played professionnal.

- We have depth on the wings.

I think he has the potential to be a game changer unlike the 3 others.

Just being in the Arsenal academy is a lot.

How many kids from top academy are full international before being first team player...A lot.

Just at United : Levitt, Gailbraith & Hannibal

On a sidenote: that video is a pure telenovela. All the drama needed.

He has a high ceiling for sure. Who knows if he will reach it or not, he's very small. I don't think he's suited for the Premier League, he may be more suited for La Liga or some other less physical, more technical league. I'm honestly not too bothered about his decision. If we get him, awesome, if not, oh well. We've got a decent talent pool outwith him. Our success isn't hinged up on him, but I would be very happy if we did get him.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

I don't understand people who are relaxed over losing him because :

- He hasn't played professionnal.

- We have depth on the wings.

I think he has the potential to be a game changer unlike the 3 others.

Just being in the Arsenal academy is a lot.

How many kids from top academy are full international before being first team player...A lot.

Just at United : Levitt, Gailbraith & Hannibal

On a sidenote: that video is a pure telenovela. All the drama needed.

Just curious, but is his potential to be a game changer due to his ability at a young age like Hanson Boakai or the fact that he was identified by an elite club as a legitimate prospect like Ballou Tabla or the fact that he is with a prestigious academy like Josh Doughty?  Just curious.

Completely agree with @frmr.  It would be great if he signs up but if he doesn't, I'm sure someone else will do a job in that position.  You can only have one player in that position at a time and right now we are good.  Hopefully in the near future one of the aforementioned will stake their claim if not him.  Personally, I'm hoping for Kam Habibullah.

I do find the circus around this to be a bit much.  The kid should keep an eye on his club career.  The hype certainly got amped up after that tournament, however it was a makeshift U20 tournament hosted by Mexico.  Ryan Gyaki did something similar not too long ago.

Other than activate our youth program, not sure what else Canada, the CSA, JH or us fans can do. Marcelo was born, grew up and played youth soccer in Canada before moving to England at 14? We have a real chance at 2022, host 2026, rank  top 3 in Concacaf, taken 4 points from Mexico, currently on top of Concacaf WCQ, our star players are in his age group... If that's not enough clearly his heart is not with Canada.