Brian Wright

lazlo_80

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Judging by the majority of comments on this forum over the years, NCAA players generally weren't rated very highly.

You are 100% correct, they arent, look at the draft the last few years, some teams just pass on their 3rd round picks.  Many clubs dont even think its worth drafting guys past the top 50 college players.  Depending on the year there are maybe 10-20 NCAA kids that have a decent shot at making a MLS squad.  I'm sure alot of the GM's are just hoping to find a diamond in the rough or a late bloomer.  Maybe someone that can come in and be the bottom end of the roster for cheap $ for a few years.  With academies becoming more and more important the draft is diminished even more.  

Wright has some good physical tools and a nose for goal, why not take a flyer on him as the upside might be huge if he proves he can score at a MLS level.  He is good enough they didnt just dump him in the USL right off the bat so they must see something.  Hopefully if he is buried in the depth chart now he can move on (cough cough CPL) next year.    

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You are 100% correct, they arent, look at the draft the last few years, some teams just pass on their 3rd round picks.  Many clubs dont even think its worth drafting guys past the top 50 college players.  Depending on the year there are maybe 10-20 NCAA kids that have a decent shot at making a MLS squad.  I'm sure alot of the GM's are just hoping to find a diamond in the rough or a late bloomer.  Maybe someone that can come in and be the bottom end of the roster for cheap $ for a few years.  With academies becoming more and more important the draft is diminished even more.  

Wright has some good physical tools and a nose for goal, why not take a flyer on him as the upside might be huge if he proves he can score at a MLS level.  He is good enough they didnt just dump him in the USL right off the bat so they must see something.  Hopefully if he is buried in the depth chart now he can move on (cough cough CPL) next year.    

• That's a slightly unfair assessment. A lot of top NCAA talent are now "cap tied" to MLS through the academies and not eligible for the draft. Add those guys and you have a lot more than 10-20 with a shot at making the MLS. But if you eliminate those players from consideration, certainly agree with the 10-20 number. USL has been a godsend for a lot of guys (outside the 10-20 range), more than a few have used it to move up to MLS and some even become big contributors.

I did a little digging.  The 2015 draft class I did a quick look at the first 3 rounds.  I figured these guys have had enough time to make it in MLS, so excluding some real late bloomers etc these are the guys that have made it.  I picked an arbitrary 30 game cut off as a baseline for "making it".  11 guys have played 30+ games in MLS, some as much as 80.  Larin, Shelton, Alashe, Polster, Bono, Roldan, Tim Parker etc are some of the big names from that class.  But no one past the #20 pick has played more than 30 games, And 4 of the top 10 picks were busts.

2014 draft, first 3 rounds, 45 game cut off.  12 guys played more than 45 games in first 3.5 seasons.  5 of top 10 did not.  But several picks in the 20's did and pick#44 richie Marquez played 63 games for the union.  So read into that what you will, but it sure doesnt seem like there are too many starters out there in the college draft, and anything past the first 25 picks is a real longshot.  But BCM is right in saying USL has been a godsend for alot of those kids.  Hopefully the CPL can be the same for the CDN college kids once it gets going.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

What is his MLS ceiling like?..... Is he a highly, medium , low-rated prospect?... It seems he hasn't gotten any opportunity to prove himself yet at least within MLS. A clip showcasing his best skills/highlights would be appreciated.

He was compared by the MLS guys at the draft to Chad Barrett. If you've been following MLS long enough to know who he is I think 2010 Chad Barrett is a pretty good comparison in terms of skill set and ceiling.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

He was compared by the MLS guys at the draft to Chad Barrett. If you've been following MLS long enough to know who he is I think 2010 Chad Barrett is a pretty good comparison in terms of skill set and ceiling.

I would take that in a second if offered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recorded a goal and an assist for the Revs in a 4-3 win over NYRB in MLS pre-season:

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/post/2018/01/31/recap-revs-open-2018-preseason-slate-4-3-win-over-new-york-red-bulls

Stats like that certainly can't do his chances of getting more  1st playing time any harm (and Kamara now being in Vancouver also helps).

• 1 month later...

The Revs are an early favorite for worst team in the league, but it's still going to be hard for Wright to find time behind Agudelo and Nemeth. Forwards that need to play centrally always have a hard time getting minutes in MLS unfortunately. If Nguyen doesn't get traded, I'd like to see him go down to USL. He's about to be 23 and has played in 5 professional games.

Not sure what you are calling professional but he did get into 3 US open cup games (scoring once!) as well as the 2 in MLS and 3 in USL.  8 games in his first year any better...why didnt he get more games with Tulsa?  They must like him the resigned him and he scored in preseason.  Maybe new coach Friedel will make sure he plays somewhere this year.  

• 2 months later...

Reading through MLS.com noticed that BW played 3 minutes today for NER. 

Obviously 3 minutes isn't much, but dang hopefully it opens up more time in the future which is also doubtful. I was hoping since they did sign him that perhaps more would come for him. He might be an option for CPL as well...

Edited by Scorpion26

3 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Reading through MLS.com noticed that BW played 3 minutes today for NER. 

Obviously 3 minutes isn't much, but dang hopefully it opens up more time in the future which is also doubtful. I was hoping since they did sign him that perhaps more would come for him. He might be an option for CPL as well...

Two shots on goal according to MLS website as well. Not bad for 3 mins of play. Highlights don't show his shots but commentator says how big and strong he is...