Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

29 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Actually I’m almost certain he is a left footed player, which could be a huge advantage to him depending on the side the others play.  

I didn't know that. But I do know he's played the RB position before though. 

4 hours ago, Vince193 said:

His minutes could be cut significantly. The new CB Orlando signed is left footed and can play in a 3 man backline.

It is possible but the new CB is a 27 year old who has played one season in the Allsvenskan and was previously a 2nd tier player. He seemed to have a breakout year last year becoming a starting CB for the best Swedish club. He may or may not end up being a good player but it is not like they have signed a Bundesliga veteran CB. It looks more like they are taking a chance on a guy who was probably not that expensive and hoping he is a MLS level player. This deal was likely mostly done before they knew Miller would be a possible starter since even most 1st round draft picks do not pan out as well as Miller seems to be. While AIK is Sweden's best team, to put in perspective in Europa League qualifying last year they scraped by Shamrock Rovers in extra time before losing both games to Danish side Nordsjaelland in the second round. That is not to say he is a bad player but if you want to be a starter in MLS you need to be able to compete against players of this calibre. If Orlando was bringing in a DP CB veteran Bundesliga player or something similar then we would be right to worry about him not being able to compete.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:42 AM, Vince193 said:

His minutes could be cut significantly. The new CB Orlando signed is left footed and can play in a 3 man backline.

Normally I would agree, but in my eyes he was the best of the 3(trying to be neutral). 

Hopefully they stick with Miller.

Here is the video of last weekend's goal Orlando conceded late, awful defending by Shane O'neil (#12), just watching a floater come into the box, 3 min mark.  https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2019/03/09/highlights-chicago-fire-1-orlando-city-1?autoplay=true

No doubt Miller needs to still earn it, hopefully he gets the start this weekend as he should be tested next weekend vs Seattle.

Edited by apbsmith

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Not in the 18 today. 

A bit of a strange decision from the quote below. Orlando's defense especially the CBs were very poor today so in some way that was a good result for him as I expect he will be back in the starting lineup next game:

Kamal Miller was dropped from the 18 as the coaching staff would like to manage the rookie’s minutes.

https://www.themaneland.com/2019/3/16/18268852/orlando-city-vs-montreal-impact-final-score-3-1-as-early-mistakes-doom-lions

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Well the good news is they obviously rate him and dont want to push him too hard. Also they looked worse without him. 

Really at 22 he should be able to handle the minutes and needs game time to grow. Hope to see him back next week. 

Yeah I get it if the kid is like 17 or 18, but at 22 I don't see the need. 

15 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think it was just a convenient excuse to give O’Neil another shot for the time being.

If that was the reason O'Neil certainly did not justify the decision and it was his terrible back pass to the keeper that caused the second goal.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:22 AM, El Diego said:

Nice article. People can say what they want about college athletics and the NCAA road for soccer players (and trust me, I'm not some NCAA apologist in either scenario), but the truth is there are some virtues to the college path (both within in and outside the sport).

100% and yes, every athlete needs to pick the path right for them at the time.

Syracuse has a rich history athletically and academically, huge $ behind all sports teams, big alma mater and big community support for their athletic programs. It is also "close to home (Canada)", usually helps for a smoother life transition.

From a conditioning, strength, fitness, rehab, recovery, nutrition, etc. etc. these big NCAA schools are backed by big financial support, so provide excellent support in those areas. So outside of footy specifically, the additional benefits can be very helpful to an individual's/athlete's overall growth, both athletically(if go pro) and personally.

Miller played NCAA ball, summer playing USL-2, and now a few starts in MLS. Crazy, but he must be one of our current CB's who has seen the most "90 min game time" the last 24-36 months? Not at a super high level, but perhaps that is why the "managing the minutes by Orlando"? Can't confirm how many appearance he made as a freshman but from 2016-2019(sept 16-march19) he must be close to 100 games played over ~2.5 years, not sure how many CB's we actually have playing that much?

I'm sure he will have some ups and downs but hopefully he can stay as consistent as possible. Very unique prospect for the CMNT, and a CB, wish him the best. :)

Edited by apbsmith

• 3 weeks later...

I know he has not seen the field since the first 2 weeks, but he did look solid in those 2 MLS starts.

He has not played in Orlando's last 4 games, if you take out the "international window game" Orlando has given up 8 goals in 3 games, 5 goals in the last 2.  Shane O'neil(another defender) was not even in the 18 this weekend and Millar was.

Nothing is certain but you would assume he is going to get another start soon, or at least some playing time. Let's hope he can battle the competition and minor adversity to find his way back into the lineup and run with it.

5 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I know he has not seen the field since the first 2 weeks, but he did look solid in those 2 MLS starts.

He has not played in Orlando's last 4 games, if you take out the "international window game" Orlando has given up 8 goals in 3 games, 5 goals in the last 2.  Shane O'neil(another defender) was not even in the 18 this weekend and Millar was.

Nothing is certain but you would assume he is going to get another start soon, or at least some playing time. Let's hope he can battle the competition and minor adversity to find his way back into the lineup and run with it.

I totally agree, he was excellent in the first two games and was only taken out to manage his minutes, nothing more and nothing less. He definitely has the potential to run with it once his coach sticks him right in the XI

3 hours ago, nolando said:

How'd the Canucks do tonight?

Orlando lost 2-1. Miller and Johnson went the distance while Akindele went 56 minutes.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Miller was beaten  awkwardly 1v1 in the box on the first goal. 

On the second goal he got caught high and was late recovering on his man who passed it to the goal scorer.

Certainly his other appearances he looked much better.  

He'll have good games and bad games, if the club still believe in him; one bad to OK performance won't affect him, 3-4 will. It's all part of the learning curb, centre back is one of the hardest positions I'd say 

Edited by Blackjack15

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

On the second goal he got caught high and was late recovering on his man who passed it to the goal scorer.

On the first, Kamal was trying to recover to the right from his LCB position, and then the RB had a complete shocker and gave the ball away with a backheel? 

Second one, they didn't press the long passer when they played a high line. A ball over the top and it's a foot race. Will Johnson is then late to spot the late run from midfield.  

Both of these goals are terrible team goals to give up, and in both cases, Kamal may have been the least to blame.

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Wow people are harsh on our CBs. One day Henry is getting criticized from a bad VAR call and now Miller from 2 Orlando goals.

First goal #2 runs over the ball handing it to the RSL forward and the second noone picks up a run to the top of the box. Neither can be pinned on Miller.