Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Playing left back with two player who are not McGraw in the centre.

The defence actual looks better than other Portland games I have seen. 

It would seem that Miller is fast enough to play LB for Portland. And I recall him playing some LB for Orlando City too. So then why do some people think he isn’t fast enough to play CB?

7 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

It would seem that Miller is fast enough to play LB for Portland. And I recall him playing some LB for Orlando City too. So then why do some people think he isn’t fast enough to play CB?

Portland also has a terrible manager.  He's been trying lots of different line-ups at the back, not much seems to work or stick.  Question is, was it a promotion to LB or a demotion from CB?  Either way, CB at Portland was not working for him, it's looked pretty bad.  The usual LB came into the game, but I'm not sure what position he played, he replaced the RB.

Speed has never been part of Miller's toolkit.  A CB can compensate with positional awareness and height, he has shown some quality in the former, but not in the latter.  So that's 2 important details that work against him.

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The defence actual looks better than other Portland games I have seen. 

Just want to add it was KC, AKA the worst team in the west.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Portland also has a terrible manager.  He's been trying lots of different line-ups at the back, not much seems to work or stick.  Question is, was it a promotion to LB or a demotion from CB?  Either way, CB at Portland was not working for him, it's looked pretty bad.  The usual LB came into the game, but I'm not sure what position he played, he replaced the RB.

Speed has never been part of Miller's toolkit.  A CB can compensate with positional awareness and height, he has shown some quality in the former, but not in the latter.  So that's 2 important details that work against him.

Just want to add it was KC, AKA the worst team in the west.

They went to a back three to hold on at the end. And Miller was LCB.

He was well up the pitch earlier and making runs into the box even.  

Speed thing is a little overdone, he looked bad against the best teams we faced, which even in world terms had some decently speedy strikers - Belgium, Japan, US, even Jamaica.   And give people time and space in the midfield to pick passes and strikers win over most centre backs.  

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They went to a back three to hold on at the end. And Miller was LCB.

He was well up the pitch earlier and making runs into the box even.  

Speed thing is a little overdone, he looked bad against the best teams we faced, which even in world terms had some decently speedy strikers - Belgium, Japan, US, even Jamaica.   And give people time and space in the midfield to pick passes and strikers win over most centre backs.  

LCB is definitely his niche.  Gives him more freedom. 

It's true we're really hard on our CB's regarding the speed thing, probably due to seeing Vitoria struggle there for soo long.  Like you say, most CB's aren't exactly speedsters and they're regularly up against very quick strikers, many manage to make it work with good anticipation and positioning.

Posted (edited)

From what I have seen of Kamal, it is not his pace, it is that he plays flat footed, has a slow start, does not anticipate and is not anticipating, so an attacker can get a step on him in the crunch. But this is also in possession, he receives and plays statue while thinking about what to do with the ball. So maybe that aspect is pace, and with the ball he often lacks it. 

I was vehemently opposed to Kamal for our NT before WCQ, and even into it, but then I saw he had good games and softened my position. But 3 years ago I felt he has serious skill-set issues and did not have a high football IQ. That is not my view so harshly anymore, but he does carry some of that legacy forward.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

2 games vs Panama in WCQ for sure.

Not sure you put those down to pace.

The goal on the 4-1 win was more about indecision because he was left to cover 2 guys.  Any person with a head of steam is going to beat someone who is at a dead stop because he is caught in two minds. (See Bombito last night)

The other is an nice goal but Atiba? (as a centre back) puts no pressure on the ball.  Miller is with his man but the ball is floated nicely over him.  Maybe height rather than pace.   Hard to judge anything really in that game for me because we were all on the beach.

Both of those you actually see him moving at a decent pace.  Like I did last night. Not Bombito or Davies but as I said it is overdone to talk like he's late-career Vitoria. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure you put those down to pace.

The goal on the 4-1 win was more about indecision because he was left to cover 2 guys.  Any person with a head of steam is going to beat someone who is at a dead stop because he is caught in two minds. (See Bombito last night)

The other is an nice goal but Atiba? (as a centre back) puts no pressure on the ball.  Miller is with his man but the ball is floated nicely over him.  Maybe height rather than pace.   Hard to judge anything really in that game for me because we were all on the beach.

Both of those you actually see him moving at a decent pace.  Like I did last night. Not Bombito or Davies but as I said it is overdone to talk like he's late-career Vitoria. 

No not Vitoria pace, but he's not fast. The "indecision" as you put it, is probably due to Kamal knowing he doesn't have the pace to close the gap. If iirc he gave the ball away in that 1st Panama game which probably put him in that 2 v 1 which resulted in the cross from his side and the goal against. The other game that comes to mind is vs USA in NL final on the 2nd goal. You can see him not closing the gap on the wide player who was involved in the build up to the goal. Again an indication of his lack of pace/reaction time. The Belgium goal, combo btw him/Vitoria as well vs Morocco. Both route 1 long passes. Kamal is going to be a part of the squad, until a CB or two clearly separates themselves from the pack and demonstrates  they are the clear starter. If Marsch plays the way he has described his approach/style, he will want the CBs pushing up close to the other teams forwards and eliminating the outlet pass when we have possession in the other teams half . That is going to be an issue for any CB who cant keep up with a forward.

53 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If iirc he gave the ball away in that 1st Panama game which probably put him in that 2 v 1 which resulted in the cross from his side and the goal against.

No, they passed the ball around the back and put a long ball into midfield and then a  quick one wider to Miller's man, who he fronted up. 

Meanwhile, another wide player made a run outside them and someone ( probably Laryea?) didn't bother to go with him.

So Miller is stopped and has the guy in front of him and another in full flight to deal with.  Unsurprisingly, he can't catch the guy making the run past him, who gets the ball and puts in the cross.

That you say it's "his side" when we were playing a back 4 and Laryea, the fullback is nowhere to be found is a little misleading.  You were asking Miller to have the pace to cover two positions.

Again I mentioned good teams with pacey strikers in my first post on this. A decent striker is going to beat most defenders in a straight foot race.  You need to setup to cut off the supply, if you don't even Bombito speed defenders get beat (see last night again.)

• 4 weeks later...

Would be wierd...or interesting...to see Miller work himself into a top 33% sub/starter role given how Canada is lining up right now, and performing.  It's not out of the question, but it's a question of when, why and how he does.  As well as the challengers for his minutes.

His downfall certainly came fast.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:45 PM, PastPros said:

Definitely.

Maybe Messi had a different jersey for the 1st half? 

I’ve heard most teams in the top leagues and competitions have at least two jerseys per player for each game. They change at half into a fresh one for the second half.