Cyle Larin

shermanator

A Classic strikers goal , the guy has always been one of the best we have ever had at that position, he is a natural . We tend to forget the guy in his first season playing pro against men, won the scoring title if I’m not mistaken in the MLS straight out of college. If today we had a university/college kid just of school playing in the CPL and winning the scoring title we would all be clamouring for him to move on to a bigger league . He has scored so many goals in some very good leagues  in his career and will go down as a Canadian scoring legend , hopefully there are more Carl Larins in our future coming through.

Most of today's press are calling it a "golazo", some are even saying if a Madrid or Barça player had done it, it would make the rounds worldwide. Funny how a lot of Mallorca fans were being cynical about him starting before the match.

Many are recalling he had a skilled assist last week, and few weeks back had a goal waved off for an offside that was millimetric, so close people question the logic of the calculation.

This has exactly coincided with Muriqi going injured, and their new Japanese wing being out, two of the key attacking pieces.

Finally, in the press comments, he just mumbles his way through in English, not a word of Spanish. Is he a low IQ, or what gives? I mean, after 20 months you can say "muy contento", "buen partido", "buen gol", someone has to kick his butt because the fans don't warm up to him, the press, until today in fact, prefers to ghost him, he has no connection with anyone at all. The other foreigners like Muriqi, Kosovar, are good in Spanish and really connect with fans and press that way.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Most of today's press are calling it a "golazo", some are even saying if a Madrid or Barça player had done it, it would make the rounds worldwide. Funny how a lot of Mallorca fans were being cynical about him starting before the match.

Many are recalling he had a skilled assist last week, and few weeks back had a goal waved off for an offside that was millimetric, so close people question the logic of the calculation.

This has exactly coincided with Muriqi going injured, and their new Japanese wing being out, two of the key attacking pieces.

Finally, in the press comments, he just mumbles his way through in English, not a word of Spanish. Is he a low IQ, or what gives? I mean, after 20 months you can say "muy contento", "buen partido", "buen gol", someone has to kick his butt because the fans don't warm up to him, the press, until today in fact, prefers to ghost him, he has no connection with anyone at all. The other foreigners like Muriqi, Kosovar, are good in Spanish and really connect with fans and press that way.

I may be wrong but it just seems to me that players coming from English language countries seem to have a harder time picking up the language of the country they are playing in . However, it seems players from non English speaking countries pick up the local language in no time . 

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I may be wrong but it just seems to me that players coming from English language countries seem to have a harder time picking up the language of the country they are playing in . However, it seems players from non English speaking countries pick up the local language in no time . 

Less motivation for English speakers I'm sure as they can usually find some English speakers already in the club. Unforgivable IMO for them not to at least make an effort though.

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Questioning someone's IQ because they don't pick up a language or are nervous about talking in it, in front of a camera (like I am with my second/third languages if I am honest.) 

Lots of really high IQs out there without language skills. 

Again, your biases do your analysis of football a massive disservice. 

26 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Seems like that, and the classic case in Spain was Beckham who still can't pronounce a single coherent phrase (Posh Spice was a bit better). Bale was a disgrace because apart from not caring, he played 80% of his matches as if he didn't care (think Insigne).

But then, Bellingham was speaking in a flash (he's young, went abroad young), and an older example was Michael Robinson former Liverpool who went to Osasuna, and after playing was a leading media personality in Spain, he had an accent, but had his own programme and was very respected (died recently, just over 60, think it was a cancer). I think Trippier embraced Spanish very quickly and there were early viral videos; we'll see how Conor Gallagher does, but his first day, being presented to the fans, he tried a few phrases. When Bobby Robson was at Barça he did in fact make an effort, though he'd been in Portugal before, he said phrases, words, in training, but then again, he was far older when he started, into his 50s I guess (at Barça we called Mourinho, his then assistant, "the translator", and continued to do so to our great pleasure when he went elsewhere). Of other coaches, I think Terry Venables spoke as well as he could, Toshack did even better. 

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Questioning someone's IQ because they don't pick up a language or are nervous about talking in it, in front of a camera (like I am with my second/third languages if I am honest.) 

The Oxford don might be shocked to discover I don't post for his personal approval, in fact I block him because all his posts are equally tendentious and take broken record to new heights.

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think you may have misunderstood @Unnamed Trialist as he was simply quoting what has been in the press recently...perhaps you should check your own biases..?

Edit: C'mon now, he should at least be able to say a few phrases. Even if only as a sign that he actually gives a shit about the culture he's surrounded by. Have you ever actually lived in another country and not learned a few words or phrases? Says a few things about someone.

Edited by PegCityCam

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Oxford don might be shocked to discover I don't post for his personal approval, in fact I block him because all his posts are equally tendentious and take broken record to new heights.

You join a long history of powers who labelled others low IQ, when they don't speak your preferred language. 

You can continue to justify and/or insult all you want, but each post puts you more squarely in their camp. 

6 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I think you may have misunderstood @Unnamed Trialist as he was simply quoting what has been in the press recently...perhaps you should check your own biases..?

Nope.

Read it again. He is talking about Larin's interview directly. 

Edit:  If @Unnamed Trialist wants to disavow the "low IQ" comment and show the Spanish press that said it, I will certainly apologise. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

22 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Edit: C'mon now, he should at least be able to say a few phrases. Even if only as a sign that he actually gives a shit about the culture he's surrounded by. Have you ever actually lived in another country and not learned a few words or phrases? Says a few things about someone.

I reguarly work in three other written languages other than English.  I freeze up when I try to speak any of them (to be fair no one speaks one of them).  None of that is from lack of effort.

Calling someone low IQ based on their ablitity/comfort in giving an interview in second/third language is pretty low in my opinion. 

Is that fair or not?  Edit: And is that something you want to defend?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

37 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Saying IQ is just a way of saying it, the Oxford prince just like to nitpick on my posts for any excuse imaginable--but in any case: if you don't care and don't try that is also pretty frigging dumb. Or insensitive. Or arrogant, I am not his shrink. It is not even smart in terms of your career survival and continuity.

It also explains a bit about how he moves to a new club, all is well, then things often fall apart badly and they turn on him. He seems disloyal to them and them to him, to Orlando, Besiktas, Bruges, there's a pattern. He even looks for a way to extract himself on poor terms. 

So he jumps ship and goes to another project where the same positive face is put on the new set up. At Valladolid it did not matter he could not speak as he scored 8 and was there from late January to May, a few months. At Mallorca, they'll accept it if he scores, but he is not loved there. The press does not like him and last year were even rude to him in the end (probably because he could not give them a single quote), and he's isolated from his teammates.

I know it could be psychological to have a block, I have friends in Barcelona who speak poorly,, but speak, and never even try Catalan (which is like speaking Russian only in Kiev ten or fifteen years ago, you could do it, but maybe you should learn Ukrainian). 

I was very blocked when I lived in Montreal, at an anglo school though, and decided when I went to Spain I would just wing it and have fun. And study. So now anywhere I go I try a few phrases. Just for fun. I learnt how to say hello and thanks and some numbers in the Czech republic on holiday, and the last day filled up the rental car in Czech. In Norway recently I tried three words and a women in an Indian restaurant told me I said "takk", thanks, with a Polish accent!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Saying IQ is just a way of saying it, the Oxford prince just like to nitpick on my posts for any excuse imaginable--but in any case: if you don't care and don't try that is also pretty frigging dumb. Or insensitive. Or arrogant, I am not his shrink. It is not even smart in terms of your career survival and continuity.

It also explains a bit about how he moves to a new club, all is well, then things often fall apart badly and they turn on him. He seems disloyal to them and them to him, to Orlando, Besiktas, Bruges, there's a pattern. He even looks for a way to extract himself on poor terms. 

So he jumps ship and goes to another project where the same positive face is put on the new set up. At Valladolid it did not matter he could not speak as he scored 8 and was there from late January to May, a few months. At Mallorca, they'll accept it if he scores, but he is not loved there. The press does not like him and last year were even rude to him in the end (probably because he could not give them a single quote), and he's isolated from his teammates.

I know it could be psychological to have a block, I have friends in Barcelona who speak poorly,, but speak, and never even try Catalan (which is like speaking Russian only in Kiev ten or fifteen years ago, you could do it, but maybe you should learn Ukrainian). 

I was very blocked when I lived in Montreal, at an anglo school though, and decided when I went to Spain I would just wing it and have fun. And study. So now anywhere I go I try a few phrases. Just for fun. I learnt how to say hello and thanks and some numbers in the Czech republic on holiday, and the last day filled up the rental car in Czech. In Norway recently I tried three words and a women in an Indian restaurant told me I said "takk", thanks, with a Polish accent!

A wall of text to continue align with those that call others low IQ because they can't express themselves in your preferred language.

Keep digging and trying your silly insults.

But for @PegCityCam this post is helpful in confirming your position is that Larin is "low IQ" because he couldn't/ chose not to speak a European language. 

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

A Classic strikers goal , the guy has always been one of the best we have ever had at that position, he is a natural . We tend to forget the guy in his first season playing pro against men, won the scoring title if I’m not mistaken in the MLS straight out of college. If today we had a university/college kid just of school playing in the CPL and winning the scoring title we would all be clamouring for him to move on to a bigger league . He has scored so many goals in some very good leagues  in his career and will go down as a Canadian scoring legend , hopefully there are more Carl Larins in our future coming through.

Larin scored 17 in his first season (2015), which is a great haul for a rookie but not enough for the MLS scoring title that season.

Sebastian Giovinco and Kei Kamara each scored 22 that year.